If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

For one weekend only....

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Fireline, Jan 29, 2011.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Thanks for that - makes it much easier to plan the day.

2. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The 'Big Plan' shows 3, 14, 23 & 1638 out on both days.

3. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have to say, it was a splendid day today from what I saw of it. The running to Junction Road seems to have worked rather well. Time to start thinking about laying some more track!

4. William Shelford

William Shelford Member

Glorious day, weather as requested for once. Travelled behind all the steam locos (and the DMU) at least once, while riding Tenderden - Junction Road - Northam - Junction Road - Northam -Junction Road - Tenderden - Junction Road - Tenderden.
    The special time table which involved topping and tailing from/to Northam or Rolverden ran only slightly late, and most ofthe trains (espically the early ones) were full.

Congratulations to all involved, and keep up the good work.

5. sjtown

sjtown New Member

Theatre Tech'
  6. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Well, I went, and a very frustrating business it was too. The staff at Northiam seem to have not the slightest idea that such an event would put them in the 'front line' as it were and it would be best to go about their business as unobtrusively as possible. But no; there the were all in orange vests and completely unwilling to step out of the way to permit enthusiasts to take stills or video without them being in the picture. One young man, in his orange vest, insisted on being a third man on the, or rather the outside of the, footplate on 'Bodiam', so completely ruining many a shot. Quite why he thought he was adding value in any way possible on such a small locomotive is beyond my comprehension.

In complete contrast, people at Rolvenden and Tenterden, didn't seem to feel the need for the hi-vis stuff and, as well dressed as ever, became a part of a picture instead of spoiling it.

Nice to see the steam engines, but a shame about the dmu and if the loco roster had been published that might have influenced my decision to go.

It's a 184 mile round trip to Tenterden from home, that's lots of petrol, plus the £15 entrance fee. The K&ESR has to do better!

Regards

7. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    An interesting point, but talking to many of the passengers on Sunday they seemed to appreciate the chance to get the improved view from the dmu to see the new bit of line, after all this weekend wasn't a Gala as such, rather an opportunity to ride over the Rother Valley Railway's new bit of track.

8. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It's one of the great virtues of the first generation dmus, this matter of the view from them. I can remember my first encounter with a Derby Lightweight on a London Road/Buxton service in 1954 and this was precisely the opinion formed then. But in spite of that, I have never grown to have an affection for dmus, because as they aged they rattle so and are very smelly; diesel smelly, not coal smelly. Nasty things.

Regards

9. Fireline

David, rest assured that your comments will be brought up with the relevant people. However, it was a conscious decision to use the DMU due to the excellent forward views it allows the passengers. Having ridden in the mk1's, I can safely say that my view was limited to the side windows! As far as the third person on the Terrier, that is deeply unusual for us. Our crews usually refuse to carry anyone wearing an HV. It may well have been the Pilotman, who was necessary due to the unusual arrangements for this weekend. Can I enquire whether you were referring to the Saturday or the Sunday?

Oh, and in my personal opinion, the chance to travel the line, including the new bit, as many times as you wanted fully justified the £15 fee. Our normal rover fare is £13.50, and for that we would usually only have 2 engines in steam, or 1 plus the DMU. While it may not have been a full gala, it was a chance to travel a piece of line not used since 1961, and most of the rail fraternity thought would never exist again.

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I don't have any complaints about the £15 entrance fee, it compares quite well with the fees charged on other railways, but, in the circumstances it was wasn't good value or rather its value was diminished by the folk at Northiam.

I have to say that my visit on Sunday was the first time I have ever had cause to complain about the railway, it's usually excellent.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Regards

11. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Tenterden charged me £16!! (but still good value)

12. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    I had an excellent weekend, I was on the trains mostly on Saturday then paid a quick visit Sunday afternoon with my Mum and Dad to Bodiam. We also drove past Junction Road and Northbridge Street stations on the way back and into Robertsbridge, I would add the photos to my collection on fotopic if it wasn't gone for good!

My Dad has uploaded a couple of videos from Sunday around Bodiam to Youtube, my photos and videos to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKaPcn9ZRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcoRDvIgPM

13. alts1985

14. carpentr

carpentr New Member

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  16. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    I've just watched your excellent video - well not so excellent I'm not in it and I was driviing No 14! The young(?) man in the HV on No 3 was the Shunter, who spent most of his time in the 6 foot and 4 foot and therefore needed it. I'm told that the two on the platform who spent all day in HV were not K&ESR staff, they were from another railway, although the Stationmaster did try to persuade them to take them off.

17. alts1985

18. nigelss

nigelss Member

The reinstated line is very close to the farmhouse at Junction Road. Is that the original alignment? I take it the current occupant likes heritage trains!

19. Fireline

The alignment is as close as we can get to the original one. To say that the current occupant likes trains is an understatement! When we were tracklaying, she kept up a steady stream of tea and biscuits. She was also seen to be happily riding in the cab of our 33 on several of the ballasting runs! Because she does not read the forums, I will not name her here. But, I would like to thank her for making us feel so welcome less than 100 feet from her back door!

20. nigelss

nigelss Member

Just another quick question - I think I read somewhere that the RVR will have to apply for a TWO (or whatever they are called these days) to reinstate the line to Robertsbridge. If this is the case, under what statutory cover has the line to Junction Road been reinstated?