If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Footplate crew outfit

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Small Prairie, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I quite agree JTX that you should have some pride in your appearance. Although I'm not a wearer of greasetops or neckerchiefs I still make sure that I have a clean pair of bib n brace and jacket whenever I am on the footplate. I have a pair of overalls for prep and then change when the dirty stuff is done! Some crews are just not bothered about their appearance at all, and I include some at my home line too. Was appalled when I went to Lakeside recently to see both driver and fireman wearing overalls that had obviously been round the block a time or too, were unwashed, open to the waist and the shirts underneath were either nearly unbuttoned or just filthy! and this on a day when they were really busy with transfer traffic to the lake steamers whose crew's were impeccably attired!

Come on folks, let's have some effort, we don't have to look like tramps!

2. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    compared to some of you i look like a right tramp lol ...

I dont clean my boots , but i always wash and iron ( well mum does) my bib and brace and jacket ....i wear a white shirt and depending on what event is happening ill ware a tie as well ....

Although i dont see what the problem is with wearing the GWR outfit . if bike clips are what they had in 19XX then why not recreat that ...isnt that what preservation is about ? preserving the memorys and events ?

3. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Funny Mitch - I've never seen you wear a Tie?!!! :-k
    As for cleaning you're boots - Use the Pep pipe!, cos you're sure to get them clean that way better than any other!

Back to the BR day's, driver and fireman wore different attire; just like they do now-a-days. Their isn't no set rule - Always been clean and Bib'n'brace and jacket if required.

4. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    Only on things like the night Belle or galas .....

But i think as long as the footplate crew start off clean with clean clothes on what ever they be , i dont see a problem . its when you see dirty boilor suits and scruffy looking members that does get my back up ....

oh and as for head ware , i refuse to cut my hair short for a hobby so i just ware my scotland cap with my hair in a pony tail ....looks neat , and saves being kicked off the footplate for not being able to see what im doing safly ...

5. 34007

I refuse to wear a hat - There is too much about looking the part! If hat's don't suit you and if they help or not - It's all down to preference..
    Personally they get in the way! As for hair - Doesn;t matter what you look like as long as you're clean and don't smell of B/O; doesn't matter! Long hair - Short hair or no hair! 8-[

Dirty boiler suits are fine when prepping the engine - Then it's a clean ironed bib n brace for me when I go on the loco when firing. i don't fire with gloves any more! They get in the way!! What's everyone elses opinion on clothing/gloves etc?

6. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    nearly lost my shovle first time i used a rag and not the gloves .....wasnt a fun moment ,,,,

But yes , now ive gone to using a clean rag , i quite like it :) ...gloves dont so much get in the way , just get ya shovle dirty ! ...

7. Louth

Louth New Member

I personaly like to turn up with polished boots, its just something I have always done. Also if you clean and polish your boots you will get a longer life from them and they will keep your feet dry when you are disposing in a wet pit at the end of the day.

I use a black boiler suit to clean, prep, and dispose, and a clean bib and brace and jacket when on the loco.

I prefer to wear a hat simply because it keeps all the crap out of your hair, which is what I believe the greasetop was invented to do.

I don't like firing with gloves, as I find it awkward and cumbersome.

I do think it is important to try to look the part as we have to remember we are involved in the leisure industry, and punters pay a lot of money to come and sample our nostalgia. There is always lots of discussion on here regarding accuracy of liveries, rolling stock, and stations etc, so why should that not carry on to the crew, its not difficult or particularly expensive.

All volunteers take pride in their chosen railway, so why not take pride in your appearance too?

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hats can be useful if you are tall, takes some of the impact when you hit your head...

9. Very much so ill admit I'm only 5 '10 but i hit my head on 62005 on the cab roof so it says something about the NER crews must of been midgets

10. RalphW

The roof line on Scots Guardsman comes down quite low I noticed when I banged my head on the edge.... :-#

11. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    I think I'm still slightly concussed from Nunlow, and that was a lot of years ago!

12. loco cleaner

loco cleaner New Member

So my Grandfather was in your words "incompetent weirdo" he was a proffesional driver for LNER and BR not someone who is self appointented to the position of fashion critic of Enginemen dress.
    "Stupid" and "Hello sailor" are not words you would have used to discribe him to his face, he was not know as the Sgt Major for nothing.

There is not much in this world that makes my angry but you have.

13. 34007

I'm always hitting my head on the firemans side window! Can't see how a hat would help (Fall off if anything)?

I prefer to just wear the essentials. I keep my jacket with me just incase.

14. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    It really doesnt do anything , i think we have stopped for my hat once , and my drivers hat once before becuse they have just flowen off , and as for bumbing your head ......well think yourself lucky that the window was open , i normaly just forget to open the window lol

15. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Absolutely right, Louth. The greasetop was not an affectation, it was to keep oil and ash out of your hair when prepping an engine. It also keeps the rain off and out of your eyes when you are driving. The beck assists in keeping the sun from your eyes too. It is a matter of personal preference and many people prefer a flat cap or a beret, as was the case in B.R. days.

Firemen were always different, younger, of a different generation to their drivers, and, certainly towards the back end of the fifties and up to the end of steam, determined to "do their own thing." I saw many young firemen with long hair. It reflected the fashion of the times. One of my regular mates wears a black bandana, as I believe was fashionable at Old Oak Common. He is always clean and smart and he is very good at his job. I am trying to persuade him that he should adopt a greasetop when he passes out for driving to add that certain gravitas it bestows.

As regards gloves, they are a necessity for me, rather than a preference, when firing. If I did not wear them, My hands would be blistered within the hour. Comes of driving a computer for a living.

As others have said, whatever you wear, be clean and smart on the footplate, at least when you start the day. People do look up to you.

Regards,

jtx

16. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Thats another Nail in the National Preservation coffin.

17. RalphW

Why, your prices are very competitive... If I were buying I know who I would support..

18. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Do you do the Bib and brace and jackets?

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Blimey - Mr Beesley gets a web-site! Whatever next - Pewsey drinking lager? 8-[

20. but you dont stock much stuff related to the fot plate only greasetops no bib and braces ect