If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Something something what are photographers contributing something?

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    … Something something if it used wooden bodied carriages it wouldn’t need to be so powerful anyway something mumble …

Tom

Romsey, 5944, Steve and 2 others like this.
  3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Something something 10 or so s*ng*e ch**n*y A3s were once rumoured to still exist as part of the str**gic r****ve, stored in a cave somewhere near Sna**b*ach.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Now you’re talking. Is it time to sit back with a bag of popcorn or a pint of the best?

35B and Miff like this.
  5. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Oh come on, everyone knows this is arrant nonsense. They're 9Fs and they're in Box Tunnel.

Miff likes this.
  6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No, King Arthurs under Glastonbury Tor

35B and Miff like this.
  7. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

This often repeated story is now believed to've originated from 1960s drug-fueled confusion with a fabled Hornby-Dublo-gauge 9F prototype batch, which may or may not've been produced in 1963 but never released before the Tri-ang takeover. Rumoured still to exist "in a Box in a Tunnel" under Liverpool. Maybe they'll turn up on the last day of the Hattons closing-down sale.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    35B, MellishR, Paul42 and 1 other person like this.
  8. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

You like to imagine this story making its way to the highest echelons, and the Prime Minister deep in a bunker somewhere making plans to try and rebuild the country in the aftermath of nuclear devastation, only to learn that in order to make full use of the strategic reserve he's going to need a large piece of plywood and a plug socket.

9. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Has everyone been watching Family Guy for some reason? :confused::)

The Green Howards and Miff like this.
  10. JEB-245584

JEB-245584 Member

ADI
    I thought the King class were hidden in carparks in Leicester.............I'll get my coat.

11. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Only No. 6015:).

Peter

Steve, RalphW, Miff and 2 others like this.
  12. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

I have only just caught up with this discussion. I am slightly confused as to whether the
    discussion driver is livery or performance,

Some thoughts, apologies if they are reinventing the wheel.

Yes of course in ultimate terms an A3( or even an original A1 ) should develop more
    power than a Jubilee. The long, comparatively gentle’ gradients of the ECML favour
    a 4-6-2. But I think if I were to be brought to a halt at Scout Green with ‘13 on’
    the chances of restarting the train might be better with a 4-6-0 eg a Jubilee.

I have been reading the RCTS vol 2A, specifically, blast pipe alterations during the
    BR period. The fitting of new liners and cowls as per Swindon experience apparently
    improved steaming with poor coal but at the expense of water and coal consumption
    ( especially with 60104 ). Does this suggest that the final superheat temperature was
    lower ( I think I remember in the 1920s that changing the length of S/H tubes led to
    final S/H temperatures of 600degrees F with longer tubes, 630 with shorter. I.e too
    close to the smoke box. ) and therefore whilst the ‘amount of water boiled’ was higher’
    the ultimate enthalpy was significantly lower.

The subsequent fitting of double blast pipes and chimneys QUOTE “ resulted in a
    marked improvement in the performance of these veterans “

I agree that FS should remain an active loco for as long as possible. I think it should
    not have any mods that might reduce its maximum IHP and hence it’s possible uses.
    The modern mainline railway is not conducive to running express steam locos limited
    to 75mph maximum. As a result the work required on adverse gradients often exceeds
    WTT requirements of the 1950s

( As an aside FS when it visited the WSR on morning number three slipped to a halt
    on the 1/80 leaving Bishops Lydeard with an eight coach train and had to be
    rescued. For the rest of its stay a Crompton was added to the rear. The balancing
    eight coach train hauled by a 4-6-0 had no such difficulties. )

Regarding colour, logic says if in late 1950s condition then late 1950s colours. If
    there is a popular demand for it to be otherwise then the NRM needs convincing as
    to where the funds are going to come from perhaps ?

Michael Rowe

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Spinner, Nigel Day and Steve like this.
  13. segillum

segillum New Member

In his book 'Living with London Midland Locomotives' (Ian Allan 1977 pp61) A J Powell states that "....the A3s were hopeless for slogging up the steep gradients of the Waverley route until they got their double chimneys". Powell's observations on several subjects seem at variance with conventionally accepted wisdom. Is he regarded as a credible observer?

Nigel Day likes this.
  14. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

On occasion IMHO perhaps he expresses absolute certainty where others might be more circumspect !

Michael Rowe

The Green Howards likes this.
  15. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Quite unlike anyone on NatPres then…? ;)

Simon

MellishR, Miff, johnofwessex and 2 others like this.
  16. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

If that's true, I wonder why they kept four at Carlisle Canal all those years rather than swapping them for some combination of A2s and V2s.

MellishR, S.A.C. Martin and 26D_M like this.
  17. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    And yet did that job for about thirty years…!

MellishR, Miff, Spamcan81 and 2 others like this.
  18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I've been a bit too busy to sit down and reply to this for the last couple of days. My original post was simply disagreeing with your argument that, because a pre war A1/ A3 could drag 600 tons around it should be well suited to operation on todays railway. Well yes it could probably drag 600 tons around somewhere on the big railway but those lines would be few in number. Like it or not, railtours generally have to mix it with todays frequent and fast timetabled trains and a 7P loco is less able to do that than an 8P. In that context I think it is fairly well acknowledged that a Kylchap A3 was pretty much the equivalent of an 8P apart from the transfers on the cab side. As an aside, I well remember going from Leeds to Kings X in the early sixties, aged 12 or 13. I think it was the 07.30 departure. It should have been a Deltic but for reasons unknown the train left Leeds behind 60073. The crew rose to the occasion and it was a spirited run with little time lost. I spent most of the journey with my head out of the window (shock, horror) and had a rather black face when we finally arrived in London.
    I'll readily admit that a de-tuned A3 can be run on the big railway, just as Jubilees and Black 5's can and do. The difference between Scotsman in that condition and Scotsman with a Kylchap will be a reduced route availability due to timetabling issues or a reduced load behind the tender and we have often heard that the profitability of a railtour is only made in that last coach.
    Anyway, Michael Rowe has made the argument for keeping the Kylchap far more effectively than I can so I'll leave it at that.

35B, 60017, Romsey and 8 others like this.
  19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    For use on Tyne Valley services perchance ?

20. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

I think Canal's duties were over the Waverley (and to Silloth). Did the TV have any traffic which warranted an A3? The photos are northwards from Carlisle and at Edinburgh. Anyway for a southern spotter they were a nuisance. Did 68/79/93/95 ever get to London? Maybe on a running in turn from Doncaster.

paullad1984 likes this.