If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Corrected for accuracy

2. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    I have thought for some time that a crossing is exactly what it is called and not a stand anywhere you want crossing Al !

3. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Well maybe. I remember going out to watch a main line excursion a while back, and when I got to the place I'd picked, a footpath crossing, there was already a chap set up to take video. Fair enough, but I did observe a microphone carefully located in a place where it appeared to only be accessible by leaving the bounds of the foot crossing and trespassing.

4. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Ah you met Twizzle! I have seen him too. Seriously, I was at a location where trespass took place, serious enough that a driver stopped, BTP was called and the steam held in a preceding station. There were 4 of us who were clearly old hands at the game, all safely ensconced behind the line, with about 20 village locals spilling down the leading platform slope and congregated round a signal. It was obvious they were locals, they all knew each other and never arrived by car, one even produced a bottle of vino and some glasses.

5. fish7373

fish7373 Member

tube lines Northfields railway depot Piccadilly li
    100_3865.JPG Hi i have seen 60103 twice today go through my home town south Acton station and still not convinced that its the right green, :Singing: its to light and wrong, garden gate green. sorry FISH7373 81C NFP

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    image.jpeg

I dunno I rather like it :)

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't worry at all about the colour of Flying Scotsman (FS) if I were you. Now that it has run a few trips there seems to be a far more potentially serious problem, even beyond the odd injector hiccup. I am talking here about how the locomotive is fitting on the rail network.

We've come to realise that particular steam locomotives may be out of gauge in places with, undoubtedly, some of the main line fleet more gauge friendly than others. Those that come to mind in that regard are Black 5s, Bulleid Pacifics and, of course, Tornado. When Flying Scotsman ran to York, nothing untoward was noticed, other than the fact that Network Rail, for understandable reasons, has a nervousness about the locomotive on that route. But, hopefully, over time, that problem will go away. But beneath the surface lurks a greater problem.

FS is currently down south after an interlude in Scotland when it became the first steam locomotive I can think of to trigger a 'prohibit' on the south side of the Forth Bridge. Not even a speed restriction was allowable, so we immediately have a problem with it going to Dundee, for example. Yesterday, for the first time, there was a significant speed restriction for steam through Worplesdon, just north of Guildford. On the circular trip from Paddington to Salisbury last weekend there were any number of speed restrictions along the route. Some of them were solved by the loco going main line out of Paddington but you can do very little if, as is the case, FS is not allowed on the up relief through West Ealing. However, it gets worse.

The Berks and Hants route is a popular one for steam charters but FS cannot enter the station loop in the up direction at Newbury. A problem easily solved by charters not calling there to drop off passengers on the way home but that's not the case at Thatcham. It appears that FS is banned from the up line here and so that immediately limits options on eastbound routes from Bath, Bristol and Exeter. So there is an emerging problem, not just with severe speed restrictions - 5 mph in some cases - that slows progress and makes pathing even more difficult, but parts of the network where FS just cannot go.

I think that Network Rail visited Bury to calibrate the loco in order to have the data available for the gauging software. Is that data correct? - presumably so. Are these restrictions real? - presumably so. Where else may there be a problem? Well FS heads off to Shrewsbury soon. We shall find out, I guess, but it is a concern and one for which there is unlikely to be a solution.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    But that "prohibit" was kicked very swiftly into touch was it not?

9. Big Al

Only by wrong line working, as I understand it and that's not ideal. The same as my Thatcham example - ok in one direction but not the other. That just can't be good news, can it?

10. Spamcan81

Training moles
    But that problem exists on the Harrogate line for just about all locos IIRC so the locations you mention are not unique and wrong line working is an established railway practice.

11. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Well AFAIK Scotsman never had any gauging problems during her last spell in traffic. So what's changed? Has the track been realigned in places? Do modern methods of measuring the loco give more accurate results than were previously available? And why is this a problem for 60103, but apparently not for comparable locomotives like A4s or the A1?

Even if there are some gauging problems, is that the end of the world? The "Halls" are infamous for their wide cylinders, but 4965 and (until recently) 5972 have both managed to have very successful main line careers.

And if all else fails, there's plenty of preserved lines she can run on...

12. Big Al

Agreed, but ok in one direction and not the other on the Berks and Hants is definitely far from ideal.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Yes the track has been changed in most places and it would seem that the contractors are not returning it to it's original position, still fit for modern stock and traction but not older locos. NR don't appear to have proper control over this, or just don't care, as it's been going on for many years.

western nobleman likes this.
  14. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Good summation Ralph, contractors not returning track to the envelope it was set up with is the greatest problem, the fact they are not brought to book about it, further encourages those that think they are almost by stealth removing steam from the network.

By Law, and pointed out elsewhere by others more qualifies than us, the track has to be returned to its former situation, or NR is in prohibition of its own internal measurement it took on when it was created.

The fact nobody has taken the time to push this with them, further adds fuel to the stealth fire.

Been mentioned many times, but they will take no notice of WCRC, RTC, SD or any other, if they all got the act together of an umbrella organisation, maybe, just maybe, this could be reversed, personally think too much damage has been done already.

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    A couple of years ago the matter of a shrinking loading gauge was raised with a Transport Minister. His answer? "TOCs can always buy smaller rolling stock." Like that's going to happen. :rolleyes:

16. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Scotsman is rather wide over the platform plates at the bottom of the cab at 9'-0". Compare that to a Duchess at 8'-10 5/8". An A4 is the same width along its length at 8'-8 1/2". A Merchant Navy is 9'- 0" across the cab, which is high and well clear of platform edges. I have not got the width of the platform plates for 60163, because the frame diagram on the website is a bit too small to read the dimensions.
    So it appears that the extra 1" or so each side on Scotsman is making a difference.

MuzTrem likes this.
  17. guycarr360

With FS so much in the news, now is as good a time as any to bring the current unacceptable situation into the National Domain.

If such an umbrella organisation existed, I am sure they would get plenty of column inches.

18. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Trouble is if the Transport Minister went to NR and told them to make sure their contractors put the railway back so it can accommodate a few rare steam excursions, NR will turn round and say "Fine as long as you take the flak from other rail passengers when we disrupt their services to re-do the work". The undoubted answer to that will be "Err maybe don't bother then".

Its all well and good complaining contractors aren't held to account for minor issues which affect a very small number of trips (whatever the legal etc rights are) but if that means disrupting hundreds of normal journeys, its simply not going to happen. The real root of the problem is that modern rolling stock has a different profile to steam locos which means that if its OK for the majority of trains, its not going to get fixed quickly for one offs. At the extreme end the easier solution to NR current track standards not fitting steam locos would be to change the requirements on the open access side of things so that NR has no obligation for a few "hobby trains".

19. guycarr360

Remember by law, they have to maintain the track envelope, and not reduce it.

And, if they did the job correctly in the first place, they would not have to re-visit the work that has been done.

They have no excuse.......

20. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    I see from recent RAIB reports on passenger entrapments in sliding doors that narrowing the gap between train and platform is taking on an ever higher priority. It seems to me this may not be good news for outside cylinder locomotives, some much more than others of course. So in the case of platform clearances it would seem they very much have a reason for minimising the envelope.