If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

Looks good, we are clearly close to a steam test perhaps in the next 8 weeks.

2. greenslade

greenslade Member

the two a4's cost nothing to bring from America,it was sponsored,please get your facts right.

3. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Try reading it properly, then you may wish to retract your rather abrasive reply.....

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's been announced that 60103 will be visiting the NYMR in March 2016 and the Severn Valley for their Autumn Gala in September 2016.

Also a list of dates have been added for the locos test runs. 9/10 and 16/17 January at the ELR and it seems a mainline run on 23rd January.

Fingers crossed she makes those dates.

5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Terrific news that dates are able to be reasonably confidently proposed now.
    As a purely personal point of view it would have been nice for ELR to get the chance to hold the launch of it cosmetically complete too rather than the undercoated version, particularly having accommodated and facilitated the protracted overhaul. Guess it just didn't fit with the other scheduling but ELR loss is definitely NYMR gain.

irwellsteam likes this.
  6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I thought it was IR doing the work in his own works - nothing to do with the ELR?

Keith

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I actually think that initially turning her out as 502 in black is very good. It's an opportunity for something different to be seen, double chimney & 'blinkers' notwithstanding; if anything needs to be 'tweaked' then it's not the end of the world if paint gets scratched or chipped & finally there can be another 'unveiling' when she gets her coat of BR green. What's not to like?

andalfi1 and pete12000 like this.
  8. 26D_M

I'd agree with that but the way I read it is that it will have had the numbers etc obliterated while on test. Might be my misinterpretation.
    Whatever, I think ELR has earned the right to first use in its BR livery rather than another line which hasn't been involved at all with the overhaul. Personal opinion and respecting that there will be those with different views.

9. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    When Steam Railway launched its appeal for the Vaccum Brakes to be reinstated weren't visits to the SVR and NYMR promised as part of it so Scotsman could haul their teaks.

andrewshimmin and andalfi1 like this.
  10. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

So SR has scuppered the "first out the hat" lottery that was promised for all network connected heritage lines?!......... :(

Just means that any line having a gala at the same time as these two will really have to up their game............ for me the NYMR is too far, and going by reports from this years SVR gala - I'm glad I stayed away - being crammed like a sardine is no fun whilst trying to enjoy a loco, and may well put folks off.........

She'll get to the MHR sooner or later, and I'll enjoy her from the best place possible - the lineside - no cramped conditions there! ;) :)

11. 26D_M

Is BR livery loco an authentic combination with teaks? I don't know which is why I ask out of curiosity?
    That aside, does that mean SR has some say in where it operates?

12. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Only if the teaks are also painted in BR livery, which neither the SVR nor NYMR sets currently are. (And long may they remain that way! Personally, I'm hoping 4472 will pay return visits to these railways once she has been repainted in apple green...as she surely will be, sooner or later...)

andrewshimmin and 26D_M like this.
  13. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Seems unlikely all the coaches were repainted before any of the locomotives...

Jamessquared likes this.
  14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Indeed, I suspect BR green and a full rake of teaks can't have been uncommon for the first few years after nationalisation.

15. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Why should they? Has SR contributed financially to the overhaul, I think not so they have no say in any matter where the loco runs. That is a matter for the NRM & Riley & Son (E) Ltd to confirm with said preserved railways.

greenslade likes this.
  16. 26D_M

Quite agree. The previous post seemed to imply SR had influence because of the appeal it ran.

17. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Entirely possible depending on the class of ECML Pacific that pulled it. There are well known photographs of Thompson A2/1s in the BR dark green pulling still teak liveried Gresley coaches and I suspect there must be one or two of the A4s in dark green pulling them too. There are shots of the B17s in the BR dark green pulling teaks too if you know where to look. Like anything in railway history, if you research hard enough you may find something unexpected which matches.

As for whether SR should have a say - of course they should. They contributed through its readers towards the brakes, a repaint, and also purchasing it through the nation. How much did the rest of you donate? I know I did and was (hopefully is?) a member of the 4472 Club.

Whether or not their say influences the decisions at the top is immaterial. They, like the rest of us, have a right to hold an opinion and perhaps have more of a right to sway given the financial support they've given the locomotive and the museum behind it. The final decision, as ever, lies with Paul Kirkman.

Sheff and Matt37401 like this.
  18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Just for everyone's information, some posts have been removed following complaints while they are looked into by the Moderation team. I did mean to post in the thread that this had happened last night but managed to get side tracked and it slipped my mind.

19. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Acting to ensure that for the good of Preserved/ Heritage Railways 4472/60103 is able to run on these lines was a good thing, think I may have actually chucked in a bit myself, and its also right that once fitted 4472/60103 should be made available to Preserved/ Heritage Railways.
    To suggest that Steam Railway can insist which Railway and when that the loco goes to is bollo.... erm 'somewhat unrealistic...'

20. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    That's not what I'm suggesting. Having a say is not the same as making decisions.