If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's an understatement and a half......... "back end of a bus" doesn't do it justice............

The less we talk about Thompson in a GRESLEY thread, the better I think everybody's blood pressure will be............. :rolleyes: ;)

So, is it remotely possible that we can revert to the subject of this thread?.......... FLYING SCOTSMAN OVERHAUL?............. :eek: :)

I wont hold my breath............ :rolleyes:

2. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I think that says more about The Great Bear than it does Collett or Thompson…

;)

Simon

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    I have read that when Churchward heard of the emergence from Doncaster of the first of Gresley's Pacifics in 1922, he remarked "What did that young man want to build a Pacific engine for? We could have sold him ours!" (Meaning The Great Bear that was scrapped a year later).

And that is probably the first bit of evidence that tells us Gresley was really in a different league from Churchward when it came to the design of long distance express locomotives - something that history has confirmed.

Spamcan81 and goldfish like this.
  4. Big Al

5. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer

Not one comment amazing.

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

In what way is that evidence that Gresley was 'really in a different league from Churchward when it came to the design of long distance express locomotives', Churchward makes a throw away comment and this just apparently adds to Gresleys genius?

The fact that gresley designed a pacific in 1922 that was a great improvement on the Great Bear is hardly a testiment of his ability is it, if he couldn't improve on the design after 14 further years of development he would not have been that great an enigineer would he?

I know that there is a common desparation on here to belittle the GWR and their engineers at every opportunity by many on here, but can we at least avoid wide ranging statements for the sake of it!

For the record I have no dount about Gresley's abilities, he designed locomotives suitable for his employers line requirements as did Churchward, Collett Stanier etc, I just don't get the need for the constant my 'railway is better than yours' arguments that perpetuate on here, especially as in the majority of cases such companies ceased to exist a long time before the posters were born and thus its all based upon books that have been read?

21B, Shed9C and oddsocks like this.
  7. Big Al

Sorry to touch a nerve and by the way I'm not certain it actually was a throw away comment. No, I was simply observing that Gresley introduced a step change in locomotive design that started in the 1920s and continued into the 1930s. So it was more a historical observation rather than a 'pop' at the GWR. The fact that the Great Bear wasn't exactly a Churchward triumph is a separate matter as are the changes/improvements if you like brought about by Collett.

8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I would see Gresley's changes as incremental rather than a "step change": the first pacifics being essentially enlarged Ivatt atlantics (though none the less worthy for that), then later on long travel valves and Chapelon-inspired internal streamlining. Churchward did make a "step change", so far as the UK was concerned, with long travel valves and taper boilers. But as for The Great Bear; is there any evidence that he ever took it very seriously? He is reported to have been unhappy about its rebuilding into a Castle, but that could have been just because it was a handsome loco, and the biggest one of his, not because he considered it a brilliant design. It was hardly designed, just a Star thrown together with a disproportionate boiler and an extra axle at the back to support the big firebox.

9. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Off to The Works you go. More progress reported.

10. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Holcroft, who was there at the time, reports that a lot of time was spent on the boiler design, and over its life short life it had three different superheaters and two different tube arrangements in the boiler. On first sight it looks a bit thrown together, but when digging a bit deeper it looks as if a reasonable amount of effort was put into it.

11. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    I wish people would do some research before posting: The C1 shares a Wootton firebox and a Cartazzi trailing axle with the A1, and there the similarity ends. The Pennsylvania K4 is reputed to have been the inspiration for the A1.

12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

OK, I stand corrected. I admit I had in mind the general appearance more than the internal details.

13. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Is that in the general sense of a 4-6-2 with a big firebox being a good idea? On the face of it, there are few similarities apart from the wheel arrangement.

14. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune

Just a quick quote from our Wikifriends; I don't have time to go into detail of steam passages etc:

The K4s design was successful enough that it influenced other locomotive designs, and not only those of other PRR locomotives. London and North Eastern Railway Chief Mechanical Engineer Nigel Gresley incorporated much of the boiler design (including the tapered shape) into his famous Class A1 Pacific.

15. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Update posted on the NRM's FB page:
    Flying Scotsman's new frame sections and smokebox saddle arrived in the workshop of Riley & Son (E) Ltd last week. Ahead of their journey to Bury, the new frame sections were successfully aligned and pre-assembled to the three cylinders, blast pipe, and smokebox saddle at Arthur Stephenson’s Engineers Ltd, Greater Manchester. The next stage of the restoration project to bring the famous loco back to steam is to weld the new sections on to the existing frames. For more information visit http://ow.ly/EQmlv
    [​IMG]

Sheff likes this.
  16. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    If you look at the pictures these sections have been machined all over to allow pads to be left were the cylinders mount to accommodate the material removed when repairing the cylinders ,it would have been cheaper to fit new cylinders than go to all this trouble.

17. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

I doubt if 1.125" steel plate suitable for any purpose is available from stock these days. And the replacement of the life expired section of the frames that supported the cylinders was not going to make a special production run worthwhile. This would have been quite a modest job for Arthur Stephenson's. It removed the need for shims too. The cylinders should have decades of life left in them.

andalfi1 likes this.
  18. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    One does hope that this really is it for the surprises in the restoration and that we're going to - after a decade - see 4472 in steam next year. I once wrote in to Steam Railway (in 2011 I believe!) to ask for some patience towards the NRM for the overhaul - I described it as potentially a "Rolls Royce job". I can see it is more than that now but won't it be sweet when she is running? Renewed and restored. Perhaps like other locomotives on the mainline, now looked after to the extent that future overhauls are not so costly or extensive.

Chris86 and Lplus like this.
  19. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Anyone notice the Google squiggle yesterday? It happened to be the 80th anniversary of 4472 becoming the 1st steam loco to do an authenticated 100 mph. Pity there was no celebratory railtour.

Steven

MuzTrem and Hurricane like this.
  20. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I hovered the mouse over it & it came up with something about St Andrew............