If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have seen 4472 on a number of occasions begining with visiting the shed at Marylebone in 1986, and most recently last year in York.
    The only time I've seen her in steam though (and travelled behind her) was in Easter 1989, back here in Australia.
    4472 was such a dominant part of the early preserved main-line scene. It just doesn't seem the same without it.
    Looking forward to her return in top class condition.

2. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Saw it come back from the States. My first steam rail tour was hauled by it. I've chased it, photographed it, cursed it - or rather the abysmal efforts of those responsible for it, been thrilled by it. I have travelled many hundred of miles behind it. I have experienced it perform magnificently it the hands of those who appreciate it and have experienced the reverse when the engine has been in the hands of those that don't. Yes, I am one of those who miss it. But it will soon be back, in better condition than it has been in for 50 years or more.

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  3. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I was working at Edge Hill when she returned from the States, and booked on early to see her. I tried to get on the footplate, but there were already EIGHTEEN people up there , so I gave that one up.

I'd never before seen so many people on Edge Hill stabling point!

4. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Ready for the off out of KX, round trip to York up the ECML, fully booked. That'll do nicely.............................any colour you like.:)

Big Al likes this.
  5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Being heartily shoved by a Class 47 :D

Matt35027 and Matt37401 like this.
  6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Not if she is worked by DBS she wont!

7. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Over the years, I have had several mainline tours behind 'Scotsman', probably in the hands of all the previous owners, and all were dogged with delays and failures 'up front'. Was it just bad luck?

8. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    I went on a School railway club trip to Donny after her withdrawal, we knew she had already been through the shops and were all really looking forward to seeing her, after the works tour we arrived at the paint shop, where we were told that she had been fully painted, but, we were not allowed to see her, as a tour party had been through the day before and some Pilchard had taken a file tang and run it down the full length of the tender ! it took me a further 2 years to see her.:mad:

9. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I first saw her (in steam) when I was too young to know where we were… Barrow maybe. Left a lasting impression.

BR green is normally a bit tedious to me - ubiquity kills interest - but she looks amazing in your video. Add a couple to the number and give her a 'Flying Fox' nameplate and she'd be a dead ringer for my 70s-vintage 'home-customised' Hornby OO A3…

Simon

S.A.C. Martin and Martin Perry like this.
  10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Had several Pegler runs with her on the various Mystery Trips that you could do then before RTT. They gave out the route page by page as you travelled along, but there was always some smart a--e who would tell the world where we were going.

The best trip was The Elizabethan to Newcastle and back in a day with 4472 to York and, remarkably 35026 on the York- Newcastle leg. Lively running. 78 min to Peterborough including a signal check and TSR. 81 min to Doncaster with a min of 60 over Stoke (9 on plus her water tender). 40 minutes onwards to York via the old route including a TSR. A total of only three and a half hours to York including a quarter of an hour stationary at the stops. Max of 84 at Tempsford.

However, Lamport and Holt Line set the cat among the pigeons when the crew on Scotsman were told at York that 26 had hit 90 mph on the flat near Thirsk coming down from Newcastle. LNER honour was at stake here. Following an inconvenient TSR at Great Ponton we only went into Stoke Tunnel at 42. However, 4472 was wound up to 74 by Corby, 88 at Little Bytham and touched 93 around Essendine. A truly great day and back in London soon after 7 pm. It's the kind of ECML trip that you can only dream of nowadays.

And honours between the LNER and SR were declared even. (8P on the flat v a 7P downhill. Seems fair)

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Didn't you just get it on RTT on your smart phone in advance?

What do you mean no RTT ... no smart phone ... no world wide web ... :oops: What did you do in those days? Send each other telegrams from each station speculating about whether there would be one of those new-fangled "diesel" things on the back to ruin your one-chance-only box brownie snap? :rolleyes:

Tom

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    jnc and Martin Perry like this.
  12. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Cheeky S_d........... :mad:

4472 was a fine machine back then, I rode behind her in the McAlpine era, and she was on song.......... the "long drag", what was that?............ :)

Why oh why did someone think it was a good idea to "Pimp My Ride" with no obvious engineering background, and why did those who had didn't speak up?.......... :( no wonder Marchington went bust.........and we wonder why she's more or less being completely rebuilt?.......... maybe we "the nation" should give the bill to the Muppet's who examined her pre auction for what their "assessment" has cost us............. :eek:

13. Smokestack Lightning

Smokestack Lightning Member

The only time I travelled behind her was from Grimsby to Kings Cross in October 1967 (I don't remember the exact date) down the East Lincolnshire Line. I can't give any timings or speeds, but I do remember a small aircraft flying alongside for a while, so maybe some film of the run exists somewhere?

14. GHWood

GHWood Member

I almost hate to ask as I'm sure this has been done to death on various forums including here but is the plan for her to return to service with the double chimney and smoke deflectors. Just seems that if that much work has already been done to rectify the various problems with the frames, cylinders etc. (and that they don't intend to 'thrash' her anymore), now might be a good time to refit the single chimney to match LNER livery/ 1960's 'Pegler' appearance which most of the public associate her with.

Whatever happens and whatever form she comes out in, it will just be good to see 'Flying Scotsman' back in one piece and running on the main line!

15. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I agree with you, especially since the single-chimney was Alan Pegler's wish (he got Doncaster to re-fit a single chimney when he preserved the loco). But you and I have lost that argument at least until the next overhaul. The NRM's decision is to go for the double.

16. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

come on dave, you know that wont happen, to many vested interests, to many things that certain people dont want you to know, it will come out one day, but not whilst the people concerned are still alive. Marchington went bust because he didnt have the sense to get second opinions on the way the engine was going to be operated and the costs involved scotsman was seen as the golden goose by some, and over the years its bancrupted almost every owner its had,
    co insidence ? maybe, maybe not.

17. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I can't take the credit for the video - my father took all the footage, I just edited it together. I am the little one in the multi coloured, mostly purple, jumper! :)

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    IIRC the previous owner trashed both the single blast pipe and the single chimney so new fabrications will be needed to enable these items to be refitted. I'm sure NRM would welcome your contributions to the cost.

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    AFAIK Marchington's pharma business interests foundered taking him under, FS was just his hobby.

Anthony Coulls likes this.
  20. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I have already said I will be happy to pay, as I have done before, when the time comes. This will be relatively cheap compared to some of the recent work on the loco.