If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't there a completion date written into the contract?

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

The only date mentioned has been not before 2015 but whether there is a contractual requirement I know not. Probably commercial in confidence.

3. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

A quick look at the FCP report suggests a 74 week program. Subsequently of course a small amount of additional work has been identified and funded so 74 may now be something like 80. The locomotive arrived back at Bury at the end of October 2013, so 80 weeks from then takes us to the end of May 2015. Unless anyone has knowledge otherwise, is there any reason at present to believe this timescale will not be achieved? Pretty sure the answer is NO!

Ian Riley looks to be keeping his future plans ender wraps for now. Whatever, FLYING SCOTSMAN should be completed long before he has to vacate Bury. Other than the vague 'summer of 2015' has a date even been specified for his departure?

4. 26D_M

The completion and departure will most likely be coincidental. Can't see ELR enforcing departure if it would compromise the completion anyhow.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Why not ? It's not as if that ELR lot are not afraid of negative publicity and if a contract date has been set then usually thats it..

6. 26D_M

It would be very bloody minded to say "that's it your times up, get out" next August if there is still 2 or 3 months work to do on 4472. Given the national status of 4472 it would be a tad more than negative publicity ELR would receive. Doubt it will come to that anyway. Particularly as ELR would probably wish to take advantage of it running in etc.

7. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Not much chance I reckon. I bet Scotsman goes under the WCRC banner, as Rileys often do, and Tornado stays with DB. Means they will operate apart from each other. Might see them side by side at a Gala or at York...

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i wouldnt be so sure about that, when she comes back after overhaul, i would expect Tornado to be registered with both operators, the reason, Steam dreams would want to have her in their pool of engines, that is assuming that the question of the contractors has been ironed out.

9. louis.pole

louis.pole New Member

To use a wartime phrase "Somewhere in England"
    There's no space for bloody mindedness in business. If Riley's are unable to complete when they say they will then they must be prepared to make alternative arrangements. Why should ELR bail out Riley's because of any poor judgement by them on the time 4472 would take to finish. They've been in the business long enough!

10. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Who's talking about bailing anybody out? With Mr Rileys reputation it's a safe bet that he will fulfil his contractual commitments to the last letter He's a business man first and foremost. He'll finish the job to time wherever that finishing takes place.

paullad1984, big.stu and Drysdale like this.
  11. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So you have the gall to accuse Ian Riley of poor judgement, but for what, is there a fixed date when the job will be completed? You are treading on dangerous ground there and should retract that unfounded accusation.
    Lets ask Lingus to comment and see if he has any better information.

osprey and Drysdale like this.
  12. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Possibly, but probably not. Steam Dreams pool of engines comes from those available from WCRC. If Tornado isnt on WCRC list, then Steam Dreams will choose other engines. Its partly the reason of Tornados lack of work, but then both Steam Dreams, and WCRC are managing fine without it. Tornado has just had an intermediate overall mid ticket and doesnt appear to be heading back. The P2 might force the pair togehter again, but maybe not given their reliance on DB in the past. Will be intersting to watch.

As for Scotsman, the relationship between the NRM, Riley and WCRC has finally fallen into place. I would think that after her overhaul a lof of the doubters out there will be suddenly silenced.

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't feed him Ralph.

14. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    ;) Suppose i could settle for a parallel run...

15. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I was told Riley's move was about 18 months off, to Ramsbottom.

Dave

16. 26D_M

Probably be able to use 4472 on the numerous freight trains between old and new works! Good running in mileage.

17. philw2

philw2 Member

Rail-connected site near the sewage works. Possibly..

18. 26D_M

To be hoped the neighbouring facility of the proposed site doesn't turn out to be apposite.

19. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

can you run steam engines on the stuff? if so could be a nice little earner, just keep the windows closed:p:eek:

20. maureen

maureen Member

Well the A1 Trust don't seem too bothered about Tornado running on the mainline at present, she only has a handful of mainline work this year all with DBS, Flying Scotsman will most certainly be a WCR listed engine as Mr Riley is to be the custodian of the engine for the first 2 years and he is a WCR registered fireman and driver.