If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fire at Mid Hants

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Selsig, Jul 26, 2010.

1. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    According to WNXX it states that the fire damaged class 11, 12049, has been restored at Barrow Hill including a repaint into early BR green without yellow ends. Don't know if that means working order or not.

http://www.wnxx.com/ See latest news 29/10.

2. buseng

Retired
    Duplicate post.

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I think Harry's been having some fun, they've performed some miracles but this would be something else! As the caption under that picture explains the loco is actually 12082, previously in HNRC livery.

Chris

4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Looking around Ropley today the contractors have started to replace the main workshop cladding with the remaining undamaged cladding from the boiler shop.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Here's a few pictures of Ropley last saturday. (Pity theyve closed the shed for public access - HSE reasons).

I was surprised by the number of kids working on the locomotives, MHR must be lucky in the youth volunteer recruitment.

_IMG_0614.JPG _IMG_0618.JPG _IMG_0631.JPG

I was interested to know the history of the boxpox wheel on display at Ropley station.

6. buseng

Retired
    Update on WNXX regarding 12049.

12049 / 12082...
    (This report replaces an earlier erroneous report, now removed)
    At Barrow Hill 12082 has been out-shopped in early BR green without yellow ends and has been numbered 12049 in readiness for transfer to the Mid Hants where it will replace fire damaged 12049. The original 12049 is due to be removed from the Mid Hants in due course to Kingsbury for scrap.

http://www.wnxx.com/images/12082.jpg

7. buseng

Retired
    Seems you were right, see #166.

8. 73129

9. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It looks very nice.

What has happened since the sad events of the July Ropley fire has been fantastic, it is great to see the railways plans getting back on track.

Some of the things to highlight:

1. The generous loan of a replacement tender from the Bluebell and the Maunsell Locomotive society for 31806.

2. The supply of a replacement class11 diesel shunter in ex works condition.

3. The good news that 31806`s tender is not too badly damaged and can be repaired. If its gone to where i think it has in the Forest of Dean for repair, it will come back almost as good as new.

4. The superb speed in which the contractors have cleared the site and embarked on the rebuilding/repair of the damaged shed`s, with the added benefit of a slightly enlarged carriage and wagon workshop. Also as an added bonus the main loco works is now getting a much needed makeover with the re-used cladding, salvaged from the boilershop.

The saddest thing that as yet, we dont know much about is if there is anyway of replacing the lost LSWR dining car, destroyed in the fire. They are not so readily available off the shelf so to speak!

Too all that have helped achieve all this, this particular MHR life member, would like to say a big... THANKS..

10. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hear hear Andrew, a good post and well said.

Regards
    Chris:

11. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why was the diesel renumbered?
    Isn't it wrong to change it just because it is replacing a scrapped engine?
    It is surely an item of interest in its own right without acting as a fake.

12. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Regarding the LSWR restaurant car - how much survey work had been done since the coach was stripped down for restoration? Was any material being stored away from the C&W workshop?

Regards,

Dan

13. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

I am not sure why the loco has been renumbered. I have seen it mentioned that Harry Needle was just having a bit of fun!

14. Coboman

Coboman Member

Unique was it not?
    Sounds like Harry all over!

15. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I did wonder, but apparently thats what was asked for so thats what Harry's done. It'll certainly give any unaware vols at Ropley a shock when it turns up - perhaps thats the reason!

Chros

16. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Referring to Swan Age's "fire" update a few posts back, lets hope that this extended spell of good weather has allowed the contractors to get the new concrete foundations in for the new carriage & wagon shop. I say "new" rather than "rebuilt" because I read somewhere that the fire was so severe that even the old concrete base and foundations had to be taken out.
    Taking advantage of the mild weather might just get the contractors ahead of schedule?

Is the C & W shop being enlarged widthwise, ie on the side away from the railway?

Looking at Tony Wood's photo taken on 2nd November, it looks as though the boiler shop is back in use, or at least ready to be brought back into use.

17. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Yes the C&W workshop is i understand now to be wider as the original retaining wall holding back the chalk bank was severely damaged by the heat of the fire.

From the pictures i have seen the contractors have cut back the chalk bank further thus gaining a bit more width for the new building.

Not sure however, exactly how much space has been gained.

18. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks Andrew.

Do you happen to know if the new concrete foundations have gone in yet?

19. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

The oversite of the former shed has been cleared and the ground dug back on the bank . The two lines into the shed are clear with crushed concrete as ballast at the moment . There are no visiable footings being re dug and no plant on site either ,.
    The Contractors compund is there and ready for work to start however we are in a lull at the moment with the cladding on the boiler shop being finished off and being made weather/winter proof and the ex boiler shop cladding is being fitted to the road side of the existing Main Works building.
    Winter you have to remember can be hard (for the South) around Ropley and Medstead so maybe work will re start later on.

20. 73129

Hi Dave,

A photo to go with your report from Ropley yard showing the cladding that has been put on to the main workshop shed.