If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fellsman tours 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sgthompson, May 15, 2023.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    I'd say the horizontal handrail below the windows, upper horizontal lining and numbers are all 'off'.

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    DWH 2848, 3ABescot, 30910 and 17 others like this.
  3. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A few shots of LNER A4 No.60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley' hauling yesterday's 'Fellsman' tour. Seen at Sutton Weaver Bridge, Helwith Bridge, Waitby and Wilpshire.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

4. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    The return leg of last week's tour arriving at Settle and departing Hellifield.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

green five, DWH 2848, RalphW and 11 others like this.
  5. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Footage from the final Fellsman of the year:

6. DWH 2848

DWH 2848 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    First class stuff David!

Linesider likes this.
  7. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Many thanks David, much appreciated. We didn’t get the best of light at Ais Gill, but compared to the morning, veritably tropical :D

8. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    On 2nd August 45231 was at the head of the Fellsman (12 coaches + tail gunner). She put on a wonderful spirited (and very noisy) climb of Wilpshire Bank. On the 12th 45212, standing in for Tangmere, put on another splendid and noisy display whilst hauling the Northern Belle (12 coaches + tail gunner). But which was louder? 45212 was marginally quicker 18mph compared with 16mph for 45231. Sounds-wise not much breeze for 45212 but a gentle tail wind helped carry the sound of the approaching 45231 towards the station. And the winner is . . .

Although a great fan of Black Fives I am not so deluded as to think one of Stanier's finest is capable of bringing 12 coaches up the bank without assistance from the diesel. There are certain individuals who post on NP who seem unwilling/incapable to accept that the presence of a diesel on the back does not mean that the steam loco won't be working hard. In such circumstances they often refer to the steam loco as a "show pony". 45212 and 45231 "show ponies"? In the words of Jim Royle, "Show ponies, my arse!"

9. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Happy New Year David. Hope we'll see you out and about this year.

Interestingly the first person I heard call a locomotive a 'show pony' was a locomotive owner inasmuch as the addition of the box on the back meant his locomotive couldn't show its true abilities on the banks. Driver friends also hated the fact they had no control over the box and the driver often assisted when they didn't want it to. None of them would have expected the box not to assist on banks steeper than 100r unless there was a good long run up to the bank. With a '5' the 60 mph restriction contributes to the need for assistance. We'd be more than happy to pay higher fares for the trains to be double headed if there are no shunting issues that need a box; that or in the latter case factor in a loco hire where shunts are needed.

I hope 2024 still has proper steam hauled trains. So far, because of the ORR thing, we've only booked the 27th Jan and 17th Feb CMEs. Dithered about the 27th as last year we had 47802 over assisting due to 'adverse railhead conditions'. Luck was on our side as 802 couldn't be put in drive on the Carlisle-Hellifield leg due to a battery failure. Hope the 27th is a nice sunny winter's day with shiny rails over the entire route so we can start the year in style.

Might have to give VT a punt if as they say 5043 will run 'sans' diesel in March.

10. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    A belated Happy New Year Graham.

Unlike you we have nothing booked (yet). Since Covid we avoid travelling/gatherings during the winter months. This last couple of years we have done summer Dalesman/Pendle Dalesmans and will probably do so again this year. Neither offer a northbound blast over Shap so, we might book on a summer CME - Mrs W loves Carlisle - Not!

I first heard the term "show pony" many years ago. It was used by an ex-colleague to describe the steam loco on the front of a train with a diesel coupled behind the tender, the steam was doing absolutely nothing. As I hadn't heard the expression before I asked him to explain. Something along the lines of, a derogatory term meaning something or someone with no real purpose apart from looking good and pleasing the crowd. As an example, he mentioned the name of another colleague, who was destined for much higher things - and the hat fitted! I'd always assumed that it came from US popular culture (as did several other expressions he regularly used, eg "Hey, Graham, my man - how's it going?"). Great bloke, sadly no longer with us.

[A bit of a trawl of the internet shows it is likely to come from the American expression, "Dog and Pony Show" In the late 19th century travelling circuses were very popular in the US and featured exotic animals, lions, elephants etc. Small, cheap versions could only afford dogs and ponies as their main attraction. You expected a circus and got a "dog and pony show", the main attraction being a "show pony", to make things worse it could be a "0ne-trick pony".]

I have no objection to "show pony" being used to describe the "show steam" immediately followed by a working diesel then the coaches as might happen during a period of fire risk, but it now seems to be widely used to describe any steam loco with a live diesel in the consist. Just my preference.

Good luck with your WCMEs, not too cold or a 47 might be added for ETH, still you seem to be able to charm diesels to fail. Weather permitting I'll be on R&W station to watch you go by.