If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Favourite Preserved Locomotive

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Learner, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was very taken watching 70013 perform on a few railtours in Scotland earlier this year. Waiting in the rain to hear her climb up to Cobbinshaw summit made it all very worth while:

http://neilscott.fotopic.net/p64425001.html

2. 63601

63601 Member

For me its ex GWR Hall 4953 Pitchford Hall, I remember when she used to be on the mainline, double heading with 4965 up the Lickey, excellent performance, strong loco, loud bark, economical on coal and water, looking stunning with her highly polished in her simple br/gwr transitional livery,and also never forget riding her footplate as owner's representative at the WSR in 2009, the sound of her storming Washford Bank was incredible. Now being a member of the owning group and the GCR, I look after and have the privilege of firing her on the GCR.

Second for me has to be 63601, steaming again thanks to Steam Railway, an original GCR engine steaming on the GCR mainline. Now approaching 100 years old and still going strong!!

3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Its funny you should say that, whenever I see video of her out on the mainline she seems to just be having fun if you see what I mean - perhaps its seeing a little engine out on the big rail but she always make me smile and laugh.

Personally for me its got to be 5051 as I kind of grew up with her being restored at Didcot and was on her first run. Second would have to be Leander had some cracking runs with her in the early eighties and just think she is a very pretty loco.

4. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

5. YorkyLad

YorkyLad New Member

3672 Dame Vera Lynn

6. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    4771 Green Arrow

The first loco I can remember seeing on the S&C, and Sir Nigel's finest creation. Elegance and power combined, yet a bit more character to her than the more famous streaks. Need persuading?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWD4tKryDY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtH6up_9U6Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmODBozmLoQ

Remember on that last video of her last run, her boiler had been significantly reduced to allow her to run. 7 coaches and a Super D by a supposedly knackered loco. Hellfire!

Also have a soft spot for 7822 Foxcote Manor as she was the first loco I fired, and a loco I remember watching from the top of the slide in Glyndyfrdwy playing fields from when I was about 4/5.

8. Woolley

Woolley Member

Got to be s160 5197 for me can't wait till it's up and running again and waking the dead as it climbs to cauldon Lowe!
    Second has got be 5690 Leander.

Steve

9. 7911

7911 New Member

Honourable mentions to Leander (whistle woke me from my reverie at the Rainhill celebrations - my Dad had spent an arm and a leg on the tickets but, on the big day, made the mistake of buying me the first Thomas book, which I duly read rather than watch the procession) and 5305 (came in unexpectedly at York and made a big impression on a five year old me).

However, the winner is 4930 Hagley Hall - happened to be pulled by it when our family first visited the SVR and first impressions last. If we can have ten Black Fives, I'm sure we can bring back a few more Halls...

And still no votes for Flying Scotsman! Would have thought it'd have been hot favourite for the title.

10. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Difficult for me to decide, I would go for 7325, a gutsy little machine that put in some stunning performances in the 1990s, or 7802, the loco I passed out for firing on

11. Ron Mitchell

Ron Mitchell New Member

Two eleven-year olds & their friends used to meet on the footbridge just North of Hatch End station, complete with Locosheds & ran a competition most summer evenings. Looking North towards Bushey Troughs, the winner had to correctly identify what was hauling The Mid-Day Scot. Correct first identification of 71000 Duke of Gloucester allowed the winner to stand centrally over the up fast line to take in that wonderful steam oil laden exhaust from an accelerating locomotive, rostered for only 8 coaches after the timetable speed-up but often hauling many more.

Forty years later, Richard preserved several Lightning jet fighters for fast taxy runs & I rebuilt an English Electric Canberra, still flying - & then we discovered our earlier friendship!

71000 Duke of Gloucester is still favourite for both of us - "The Impossible Dream" came true, with a lot of help from the late, long-lamented Colin Rhodes.

12. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Speaking personally, if I were to vote for an overrated LNER pacific, it'd be Tornado, which I do at least respect as a spectacular feat of engineering, even if it does nothing for me! :)

13. Railcar22

Railcar22 Member

Stock Control
    There can only be one candidate for my favourite preserved Loco, and this is 5051 Drysllwyn Castle. Her sheer noise output & pulling power puts her amongst the greats. She can also run fast when required

14. skinnycow

skinnycow New Member

For many years 6024 but now "Lizzie" wins hands down

15. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

21C123, closely followed by 928 and 55, gues where I spent my youth. On the Mainline it has to be 35028 just a shame us mere mortals don't get many chances to ride behind her.

16. manhoot

manhoot New Member

35028 Clan Line well proportioned, powerful, nice wheels lovely sound and all ways shining .

17. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Another for Robert Heath No.6 , but I'm biased!
    After that it is Leander. Remember standing at Carnforth when I was about nine, watching the loco set out on the mainline gleaming in the sun. It looked magnificent.

18. King.6024

King.6024 New Member

6024 King Edward I for me. Always sounds and looks good, and has had a very good year!

19. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

I find it almost impossible to believe that two people with such impeccable taste in aircraft could fall for the near miss of British pacifics. Sorry chaps but you should have paid more attention to the red ones. For me a Big Lizzie wins hands down every time, and what better than the one named after the great man? (4)6256 gets my vote.
    Bob

20. Edward

Edward Member

I'll second that choice, but I suspect that it may be some considerable time before she steams again. Hopefully 29 will be back in 2011 though.