If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Favourite/best Preservation Moment

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Chris86, Mar 24, 2020.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That was my item 2.... I’d not mentioned specific details in case the crew are still employed, but recall similar stopwatch timings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris86 likes this.
  2. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

I wasn't ever into keeping stopwatch timings as such so my note must have been declared by another on board or vis the onboard PA system.

Another memory that stands out is 60009 on Saturday 29th October 1994 being the first A4 to leave London Kings Cross (via ECML to Wansford I believe?) since 1964

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Ditto, no stopwatch timings but a number of timers sat around me.

4. CJF

CJF New Member

The year 2000 and Flying Scotsman visits Peak Rail. On the Friday night before the first public service we ran a test train volunteers special, and we were selling real ale from a bar in the brake cage. Thus, with a pint in my hands I was able to progress from the front coach through the corridor tender and on to the footplate of “Scotsman” whilst in motion. It was the beginning of a manic week, people were by the line were waving union flags!

Chris86 likes this.
  5. 68923

68923 Member

1971. Me and my mate one evening at Ingrow on the KWVR. 34092 (City of) Wells just arrived from Barry and standing in a siding looking just sad and awful, dirty, rusty, bits missing etc, usual ex Barry condition at the time. Scrambling up into the cab (you could wander at will back then) we said "why on earth have they bought this?" Fast forward to 1979 and the same loco, shiny, green and newly restored comes storming past Ingrow. "That's why" we said.

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    3 memories of 60009 at special moments :

1. 4th March 1990 60009 heading through Princes St Gardens at the head of the special Centenary Commemorative of the opening of the Forth Rail Bridge in March 1990. The scene was perfect - cloudless blue sky; the loco was perfect - shiny lined green; the location was perfect - under the middle bridge leading from Princes St gardens to the pathway below Edinburgh Castle; DISASTER - a Class 47 with the ecs of an Edinburgh - Glasgow service that had failed the previous day passed in front of the assembled gallery leaving us to photograph the rear of the train with the drifting exhaust of the A4 hanging in the air !

2. Same day at South Queensferry as 60009 stood on the bridge (after reversal at Inverkeithing) then slowly moving onto Dalmeny with its whistle shrieking at full pitch throughout.

3. 9 September 2015 as a day of treble celebration. (1) 60009 on the Waverley Route Opening Special conveying H.M. the Queen with JC waving from the cab as the train approached Stow (2) the official opening of the line with all associated dignitaries present (3) H.M. the Queen celebrating being the longest serving UK monarch.

Having savoured A4s since my earliest memories from 1951 these were among the more outstanding memories of a particular Haymarket favourite - especially whose only allocations have been to Scottish depots.

Chris86 likes this.
  7. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

Thank you! 1993 would work. I also remember the previous days tour with the Standard 4 was very delayed due to heavy rain and flooding, but have a distinct memory of hearing the train slogging away south of Haywards Heath from my bedroom window late that evening.

There is something magical about steam at night. Another special memory (also with my late Dad - but many years later!) is going to the Tremaines foot crossing during the 'Bluebell 50' event in 2010 when the timetable ran late into the evening. We were treated to the spectacle of Stepney and Fenchurch 'top and tailing', as well as Sir Archibald Sinclair working up the grade to Horsted Keynes in the dark. Magic.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020