If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Exmoor Associates - Acquisition of More of the Old L&B Line

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by TheEngineer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The first part of my post seems to have gone, I must have had finger troubles...
    But it is good news about the purchase of more sections of the trackbed and I take my hat off to all who are involved.

2. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Excellent news! Good to slowly piece it back together, and hopefully provide a little income for the L&B and a nice place of a picnic!

Any news on the Paracombe bungalow? Or trackbed around Woody Bay that might see track sooner?

3. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Quote : ...Ron Fisher's pictures are brilliant and give us so much detail to work from ! the platelayers hut is all but a ruin now but that picture was taken almost 50 years ago, but with the detail of the photo we can reconstruct the detail and it will look like that again.

Hello The Engineer,

Thanks for your kind words! The nigh on 50 year old slides were scanned on my old scanner which does not give results half as good as my current one. They are therefore in the queue for re-scanning but we are in the throes of moving house at the moment so scanning and Fotopic are very much on the back burner.

However, once we are moved and the dust has settled, I shall give them top priority in the re-scanning queue; hopefully, that will show the details even more clearly.

If you would like copies of the pictures once they are re-scanned let me know and I'll happily send them to you.

4. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    No news at all. Remember that responsibility for procurring the trackbed between Lynton and Wistlandpound Reservoir was seized away from Exmoor Associates by the L&B management about 2-years ago. Trackbed procurement over this 9-mile section is now tied up in the 'Exmoor Enterprise' project, which as far as I'm aware is still waiting for the Exmoor Pixie to visit Woody Bay bearing gifts and treasures to the value of £30 million.

Chris

5. Chris B

Chris B New Member

With no disrespect to either party it would appear that reaching Paracoombe would be the the most sensible short term objective.

Woody Bay is unfortunate in having civil engineering issues that limit easy extension in both directions athough the Lynton direction is possibly the most financially challenging - getting under the A39 to start with and then re crossing it at Dean Steep and then all the issues with residentential development at the original station site or deviation to a new terminus.

In the other direction Paracoombe also has a bridge to replace but the station itself would not be without operational problems due to the original station being only a halt with no loop even if the bungalow that has encroached on the track bed was not an issue. If further trackbed was available and the terrain between Paracoombe halt and the remains of Paracoombe bank was suitable then a loop could be laid beyond Paracoombe to allow running round and returning to the halt until a suitable solution for filling the gap in the bank is found which would give access to an "easy run" to Blackmoor Gate and the next challenge!

Chris

6. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Undoubtedly true, but leaving the civils and land ownership issues aside, Parracombe should be looked at as a very short-term railhead on the way to a more substantial development at Blackmoor Gate. One key difficulty will be the lack of car parkling, so all journeys will still have to start and finish at Woody Bay. Another is that providing easy access to local attractions will mean that, at peak times, the passenger-carrying capacity will actually be reduced - every passenger spending an hour or longer in the Fox and Goose, or at Heddon Hall, for example, will leave their car in the carpark. If the carpark is full, Woody Bay won't be able to accept more passengers.

Also, the Thorpe Park coaches will not be passed for use beyond the current railheads in either direction, so new coaching stock will need to be in place before an extended service could be allowed.

Once the railhead is at Blackmoor Gate, the line will be substantially longer, so fares and thus revenue can be increased accordingly, there will be greater visibility to passing visitors, and sufficient carparking to allow visitors to join the train at either end of the line in order to travel to Parracombe. Also, if Parracombe Bank is included in the same reconstruction phase, the infill from Killington Lane, Parracombe etc. en route could be used to rebuild the bank, saving disposal costs.

7. Axe

Axe Member

You know that, I know that, but ........

Let’s stay on topic and just discuss the success(es) of Exmoor Associates. The company are now only procuring trackbed between Barnstaple and Wistlandpool Reservoir, but before the imposed shift in responsibilities they did successfully purchase a few sections between Wistlandpool Reservoir and Woody Bay.

Chris

8. Kempenfelt 82e

Kempenfelt 82e New Member

With regards to suggestions for the exising EA purchases, what I would favour would be regular guided tours. I'd suggest these take place every 2-3 months and definitely on gala weekends with a well informed spokes person. It could be done with a mini bus (or bigger dependant on the popularity) and in my thoughts would visit land purchased by EA and perhaps other land that could be specially accessed for these visit's? I suggest they would take approx 1hr and each participant is charged £5-£10 for the privilage, similar to what the Blubell are doing with the observation visits to the tip. I appreciate that some of this land if not all of it could be accessable throughout the year, what makes the difference though and what it should be sold on is the knowledge that would accompany the trip.

One observation I would make is that when you are trying to raise money you are more likely to get donations and generate interest when you offer a service like this. Unfortunately I fall into this catorgory, as a recent student and currently with limited disposable income I rarely dig ino my pockets due to the need to count the pennies, however when there is a trip on offer or the chance to experience something for an affordable sum (such as £5-£10) I am much more likely to be able to justify the expenditure/donation.

To push the idea further, it could be done via a vintage bus service, however the possibility of welly boot's and chance of accompanying mud may need to be considered.

Hope this suggestion is of some use.

In the mean time keep up the good work, its a fantastic project!

Best Wishes

Paul

9. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Paragraph one "Your hopefull" the car park full!! Happens about once a year on Gala days or when Lyd visited.

Paragraph Two there is no restriction on running up to 5 miles in each direction using the thorpe park coaches, the issue was to do with the original bogie design, since the bogies were redesigned, there is now no restriction!! I know I was the man who had the discussion.

Paragraph Three you will never get to Blackmoor the L&B does not have millions of pounds, to break out of where it is, to even consider the issues at Blackmoor or Paracombe bank, until someone grips hold of building a bridge at Killington Lane and starts the process no one will take them seriously.

EA "does things" that people see, Like EA grabbed hold of the land issue around Killington lane and bought Rawles land several years ago, yes members of the railway contributed to raise the money needed,its now £90.000 sat there doing nothing currently waiting for AXE's Exmoor Pixie to appear.

EA "does things" like buying "Snapper" and the land agents and locals know who to phone when they have a piece of track bed to sell,they know who to negotiate with, its almost like a done deal before they have even made the call just a case of comming to agreement on price. All of the route is now protected in the local plan as a transport route,

The people who support EA , "its shareholders" want to see sensible use of their contributed monies, most if not all of them have a vision of a proper railway running over some of the fantastic landscape and structures, that still exist and the only way that can happen is if EA owns the route, the rest is engineering and procurment and good business practice.

Sorry I have gone off topic, but facts are facts when they are correct too much hypothasis below..nothing to do with

"EA and the aquisition of more of the old L&B line"

EA would very much like the "Exmoor Enterprise" to take on the land they already own in the Whistlandpound to Woody bay section, this would release substantial funds into EA for them to concentrate their efforts south of Whistlandpound.

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    I like all of the suggestions that have been put forward not just this one. EA has a Shareholders day, each year , we have just had one, prompting the postings I put up. Paul Gower ( leading historian and commedian!) has in the past put on one of these L&B route ramblers using a bus/coach. It was very well received as you suggest, he may well do it again in the future if we think there is enough take up but transport for the day costs £300 before you start. I will ask him.

I realise that your circumstances are limited and very honourable of you to explain and good your pursuing your education first well done, we will still be here in a few years when your circumstances may have improved.

Included in every EA "meeting day" we have several rambles on private ground this is aranged by the Directors in advance as well as a good lunch, all laid on this year we did Snapper, whilst others, did David Moore's section at Bratton and the next section north and also Lancey Brook Viaduct remains. Then after lunch we swapped over.

Ask any shareholder that attends and they will vouch that its a good and interesting day.I can for the moment only suggest that you make efforts to become a shareholder, or at least talk to the directors, we do allow visitors to attend, but you need to ask and show your interest to be kept informed.

If enough people post up to have a day guided tour, I feel sure one can be planned, but it is quite a lot to arrange, and most of those interested have joined EA and through them get to visit and learn about the sites.

11. Kempenfelt 82e

Kempenfelt 82e New Member

Engineer,

Thanks for your reply

The fact that these have been put on in the past and that you have a very good idea of the costs if definitely good grounds to start on. It is also clear that these have been very well recieved by those within EA in the past, again a good indicator that this sort of thing should be successful.

I understand that resources/manpower (such as Paul) are scarce and therefore this sort of event cannot be that frequent, likewise I appreciate that it is large financial outlay which of course carries an element of risk, therefore I propose the two following options.

1) You have a specific Gala day promoting volunteering within the society (This may already happen) and provide the guided tours similar to the ones you're already mention have taken place to explain/promote EA. I suggest this as an annal event.

2) You do shorter tours on certain weekends i.e. general gala's therefore providing an additional attraction to the train ride.

With both options I suggest strong publicity on the website making it clear of timings etc and allow people to purchase coach tour tickets as well as rail tickets via online booking, similar to what happened with the Lyd visit. Obviously you would only want to organise trips such as these on the busiest days to maximse their return, i'd also suggest that all proceeds go towards the EA fund for further purchases.

I understand that current tours are 'reactive' in that they provide the shareholders with the information and opportunities that they want as shareholders. The idea behind the tours I've suggested is that they are more 'proactive' and hoping to capture/draw in those people who arn't shareholders, but are perhaps considering it need some gentle persuasion by seeing the work you're doing up front. It may also be that you have some shareholders who can't justify coming down for the tour alone, but if there's a gala going on at the same time it becomes that much more attractive.

Worst comes to the worst, you loose £300 but I can't see this happening. It is also likely that if there is the additional attraction of a coach tour, people will stay longer at Woody Bay and finers crossed spend more money/more likely to make a donation.

Again hope this is useful

Best Wishes

Paul

12. Axe

Axe Member

The newly published issue of Heritage Railway Magazine includes an appeal to readers to participate in raising the necessary funding that will allow Exmoor Associates to purchase a former Lynton & Barnstaple Railway station. Exmoor Associates are a company working alongside the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust to reinstate the former railway that was closed in 1935 while under ownership of the Southern Railway. The company are currently working to raise the required capital to procure ‘SNAPPER HALT’ including the approximate ⅔ mile of trackbed and some adjoining farmland. The station is near to the hamlet of Snapper and the village of Goodliegh (located 3-miles outside Barnstaple). At the station itself, both the original SR concrete shelter and the platform edging remain extant.

According to the magazine, once EA have acquired this substantial new section, it will raise the combined length of the original trackbed owned by both the L&BR Trust and Exmoor Associates to 17.9% (3.46 miles) of the total 19.3 miles of the former line. Of this, approximately 1.875 miles (including the Snapper Halt trackbed) will be owned by EA. The remaining 1.58 miles are assets of the L&BR Trust.

Details of how YOU can support the Exmoor Associates appeal to acquire Snapper Halt are also available on the EA website at <http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/>.

The availability of the land at Snapper is probably a never to be repeated once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reclaim this piece of the original Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. Please don't let it slip by, please act now.

Chris

13. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

This is something that all who support the L&B should be contributing to. Hopefully good news.
    JdF

14. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    The last two posts are very positive, thanks, and we need to keep up the momentum in the organisation.

EA have always had a bank balance that is floating ( that has some reserves in it), this is neccessary to be able to react quickly and decisevely when land is offered on the market.

EA's progress in aquiring sections is ongoing, just because we have completed on "Snapper" there are possibilities other sections will beccome availible shortly, we must be placed in a position to act, when they do.

Those readers who are there wondering if to help in this big task , it is important that we gradually refill the account reserves, once a purchase is made, for this reason please don't switch off!!! because you think we have acheived the target, just because we have made a purchase.

We need everyone to lend a hand with this sound policy.. of aquiring the route, in pieces as they become availible, I hope you readers agree if you do please get involved.

Many Thanks The Engineer

15. ian king

ian king New Member

More power to your collective elbows. It is a Herculean task but never say never. The wholly impossible has been done once already in North Wales and there is every reason why given time, energy and money it should not be done again in North Devon.

Ian King

16. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

It took decades to obtain the WHR trackbed from the Official Receiver. It will take some time to purchase the L&B trackbed. I am privilaged to see completion of the WHR but will never see that at the L&B. It will be for my grandchildren. It is a future for others to enjoy that we must take opportunities to purchase railway land as and when it becomes available.
    JdF

17. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    No I do not currently volunteer
  18. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    It is excellent that this substantial piece has been secured for the future. The L&B is a subject that many people are coming to this thread to read about. Visit numbers have grown steadily since the post went up. I hope that the information distributed has been both accurate and well received. It is a good project and we are very committed to it.( Rebuilding a big piece of the L&B that is)

A big " Thank You " to all those who contributed however small,towards the greater future of the L&B project your contribution is greatly appreciated by those trying hard to piece this big jigsaw back together. Those who have thought about contributing but not, either made the move or would like to but cannot, please continue to be involved.

The campaign is still very much in action and currently EA are in communication with other potential owners of land. We expect to release more news via this thread as well as on the EA web site, as the deals are firmed up. Which I know are progressing.

Toward this aim, the fund, that has been trickling in, from various people and is accumulating, nice and gently means the company now has not only this land but a positive bank balance as well.

It has been especially nice to see "New shareholders come on line" who were not previously contributing, this must be a demonstration by you readers out there that , some people have faith in seeing a much larger plan in the longer term, some outside of their expected lifetimes.

As I have said before having reserves to move when required, is a very important aspect of EA's business plan that has paid off on a number of occasions so far and makes negotiating that much more flexible.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and read.

Best Regards and Seasonal Greetings From The Engineer.

19. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

What's the latest news on the reconstruction ?

20. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Good morning All

There is no reconstruction of railway track planned on any EA owned trackbed including "Snapper" at present, the business is purely the aquisition of land and route.Work will be of a maintenance and civils nature and to improve access. Install fencing of trackbed etc.We are seeking anyone who has redundant usable concrete fence posts , any offer greatly received we will arange collection ideally south of england or wales, scotlands a long way to haul them unless there are hundreds!!.

However a group of EA supporters, have been working on the site entrance and areas within the fields at snapper , over the last few weeks on a regular basis, to make access better and to assess the work needed and costs.

It is planned over the weekend of 26/27 Feb 2011 to carry our work as a team at Snapper to restore the roof on the shelter material collection is in hand for these works.Other work will include, clear the platform surface, track alignment through the field of brambles and shrubs and evaluate and discover the drainage ducts. The fields an formation in this valley area , are naturally wet.

Drainage will be put in as required, over the period of the next year or two.

People and machinery will be on site over this weekend working I expect some photo's will be up on our website soon.

(As to reconstruction or works in the Northern Section, North of Blackmoor Gate, you would be best to consult the Lynton & Barnstaple web site, sorry cannot help )

This thread is only dealing with the title, "Exmoor Associates and their aquisitions".

Detail updates of the Snapper land are on the web site at www.exmoor-associates.co.uk please take a look, ( there is some detail there currently, about our activities,including "Snapper" but there will be a much more comprehensive review put up after the work weekend 26th / 27th, one of us will post up on this thread after the site is updated).Although there is now quite a nice rolling map of the line showing who owns what and where it is along the route. Some of you reader visitors, who are not right up to date on the L&B might find this both interesting and enlightening.

Best Regards To All

The Engineer.