If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Exmoor Associates - Acquisition of More of the Old L&B Line

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by TheEngineer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With respect but I see no postings from Engineer which illustrate that disaffectment within this thread and no where else is the news of the land purchase being broken . Why are we reading personal agenda's into something like this unless the other party has something to hide ?

As moderators this thread has been watched and whilst we have tried to ensure it stays on the straight and narrow and there may be legitimate questions that can be raised and others can try to answer it has been left open, however closing the thread and possibly banning members is an ultimate sanction

As for neither EA or L&B entering into Forum discussion then I think that is a real shame . The amount of reads of this thread illustrates the interest in the L&B and hunger for information and possible new members however if those concerned choose to adopt an aloof stance then that money and interest will ultimately go elsewhere . I genuinely hope they will reconsider

2. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Re: L&B More of the Old Line

Also, with respect, the postings by Engineer stating these views were in another thread, since closed and edited but memories linger!

Information concerning land aquisition is available on the official website
    http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

My concern is the lack of a formal and binding relationship between EA and the L&B Trust. There is plenty of waffle on the EA website but no mention on either of the parties' website of a formal and binding relationship between the two. Therefore lengths of trackbed bought as a result of monies given to EA, which I'm quite sure will be used to buy the trackbed, will not necessarily go to the trust when appropriate and it is quite possible that EA could set up a competitor to the Trust at some time in the future especially given the reportedly fractious relationship between the two bodies.

Am I wrong, is there a formal and binding relationship between EA and the Trust?

Regards

4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor

Clarification Please see comments in ( ) above
    Best Regards The Engineer

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

My concern is the lack of a formal and binding relationship between EA and the L&B Trust. There is plenty of waffle on the EA website but no mention on either of the parties' website of a formal and binding relationship between the two. Therefore lengths of trackbed bought as a result of monies given ( They do not give money they buy shares which they continue to own and can control ) to EA, which I'm quite sure will be used to buy the trackbed ( It is and only land and trackbed is bought ) , will not ( that will depend on the shareholders view of the trust at the time the Trust requires that piece of trackbed, being they still have voting rights with their shares) necessarily go to the trust when appropriate ( there is no agreement to "Give the land as a gift , (EA are holding the sections of land for those purposes to sell at the current rate at the time as the railway extends) and it is quite possible that EA could set ( EA will never set up a railway they are only a holding company) up a competitor to the Trust at some time in the future especially given the reportedly fractious relationship between the two bodies.
    ( it is entirely possible that the current L&B could fold, in extranious circumstances, by the land being a totally separate organisation it is safe , in such circumstance.)
    Am I wrong, is there a formal and binding relationship between EA and the Trust? no but they both have the same aims and objectives
    as stated previously currently both organisations exist without much dialogue or need for dialogue being separatly owned and separatly managed organisations.)

I interpret this as being, as I feared, that the isn't a formal and binding agreement between EA and the Trust. Also that EA is not prepared to give an undertaking that it won't set up a competitor to the Trust and that EA will SELL land it owns to the Trust or any competitor to the Trust at a time it (EA) considers appropriate.

Basically EA is an entrenpreneurial company that is speculating in land making up the trackbed of the former L&BR in the hope of making a killing from the L&B Trust at some time in the future.

Regards

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Orion

I think you are being overly sceptical in this . EA exists solely to buy sections of the old L&B trackbed (as I read it) and as a separate vehicle as opposed to the L&B itself can probably do a better job than if the L&B were to sell shares to fund land purchases which potentially would get absorbed into general funds . By not being distracted by running a railway in theory it should be more effective at what it does

L&B money is then not tied up in land when it could be invested in running the railway . As to what price to sell land once it is required to extend the current L&B what would you charge ? FOC means that EA is less able to carry on it's task of filling in the remaining sections . Market price allows EA to continue buying trackbed sections at market rate .

As to a competing attraction , actually is that such a bad thing ? or does it force the issue of actually joining the two up . GCR and GCR(N) being a case in point . Other examples that spring to mind are the TVLR, Cambrian and Llynclws Groups , and Warcop and Kirkby Stephen operations . All want the same end objective , just different ways of getting there and if you as a person won't donate to A (for various reasons) but really like (b) then is that actually so bad

Hypothetically if someone opened a section from Parracombe to Blackmoor gate , the clamour to link the two would be almost unstoppable (imho)

7. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    The L&B Trust are the primary shareholder of EA, I believe

8. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

In which case, it is highly likely that the arrangement is designed to protect the land assets in case of the other business running into difficulty.

Makes sense to me.

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It also appears to give the trust the ability to go about its business without having capital tied up in land that it may not need to use for many years, but with the assurance that the land will be available to purchase when needed.

10. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Perhaps we'll see.

Regards

12. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Get over yourself mate...

13. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"Get over yourself mate... "

seconded!

14. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that

Seems to me that there's a lot of unnecessary scaremongering going on here. A vehicle clearly needed to exist to buy up the L&B trackbed without depleting the resources of the operating company, and Exmoor Associates has provided that.
    Sounds like a win-win situation - well done to all concerned.

15. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    UPDATE to readers

At last Saturdays,( 23/10/10). Exmoor Associates shareholders meeting held in Devon , it was annonced to the floor by one of the Directors that the purchase had been agreed for the land ( previously discussed in this thread)and contracts had been exchanged, with a completion date of 6 weeks, for the trackbed around Snapper Halt in the Yeo Valley amounting to about 700 Yds.

There is no intention presently to do anything on the land, except continue to farm it and maybe manage some of the trackbed area which is dense bramble and badly overgrown needs drainage work etc and maintain some structures, to keep them from deteriorating.The platform waiting shelter and platform edge are still intact as seen in many pictures of the site. ( if you google Snapper Halt , there are some good pictures on a site called" Rough wood" picture gallery, or on the Exmoor Associates site)

The Directors are seeking on behalf of the shareholders, communication with other owners of trackbed in the Valley to further the aims and objectives, and it is hoped we will make further annoncements in the future on this forum regarding progress.

Anyone interested in positive action, is welcome to come find out about what we are doing at EA and if you wish join those who are already shareholders in EA. At the end of the day Share holders have made this possible and hope that others will see that their vision is a sound one and that as a result progressive steps such as this are being made.

Best Regards to all readers The Engineer.

16. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Good news indeed. It now appears that all the positive action to reacquire the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway trackbed is in the area of Snapper Halt. Isn't this latest 700 yard section reasonably close to the previous 450 yard section at Raleigh Weir that Exmoor Associates successfully purchased within the last 12 months?

Chris

17. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Yes Chris "Raleigh Weir" is about as close to Barnstaple as it would be practical to get it would mean a new bridge to just crosss in front of the weir onto Hole Ground, it could be done but questionable about if the cost was worth it . It is a very picturesque spot on level ground by the weir .

From the North of this plot it is about a mile and a bit and (4 land owners) away from the south end of the Snapper
    plot.From the north of the Snapper plot it is 1/2 mile and( 2 landowners) to the next EA owned section.

EA are working on many potential locations, in the valley.

18. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
  19. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    On the L&B Web site is asks for suggestions for using the land. I can guess that planning and access restrictions will rule out a lot of things but how about some ideas via this forum? You will have to forgive my ignornace on local geography as the last time I was there was 15 years ago.
    Apart from the usual agricultural uses such as grazing, paddocks etc what else could help to raise money for the L&B? So here are a few ideas
    Model Areoplane Flying field or RC car racing
    Paintball type war games (soft-air as it's called here)
    Organic small holdings (like a bigger allotment)
    Model Engineering Society track site (5", 7.25" etc)
    Or sell on parts keeping the trackbed..

20. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    I like your style and possitive thoughts EA are a forward thinking organisation, and welcome such thoughts and open debate her on this forum or anywhere else, and YES this forum is a great place to get ideas from the wider audience and let people know whats going on, without censorship.

The land is mainly wet river valley floor, boggy, and the farmer is intending to continue to graze cattle on it, its lush and wet for 10 months of the year he runs Bullocks on there.

The trackbed runs on a shelf near the road I guess 10' above the valley floor but a lot of drainage is neded to ensure the trackbed stays dry as we work along clearing.

The Yeo Valley Trust,working with EA are evaluating how best to access the land which currently is very restricted, so that visitors can stop safely on the road nearby ,and have a walk around.

We see this as probably the most important first step, as I am sure many readers on here would like to visit at some time when they are in Devon .

In the medium term 2-5 years it is likely that the small station hut and the path down to it will be repaired and the formation brought back to its 1950-60 appearance around the station area, so it is fenced off from the rest of the field , so you can have a picnic there and enjoy the ambience of the location for half and hour or so.

Ron Fishers pictures are brilliant and give us so much detail to work from ! the platelayers hut is all but a ruin now but that picture was taken almost 50 years ago, but with the detail of the photo we can reconstruct the detail and it will look like that again.

Do not fear in the plan we will see trains pass it again , the occupation bridge just north of the halt will get some maintenance and in the slightly longer term, I expect the formation will be cleared over the full 630 yds, within the field, fence posts being recovered etc.

EA have more important activities at present to pursue, we need the next pieces of the jigsaw in the yeo valley which we have studdied in detail and are being worked on.

Thanks all of you, for having a read, put forward any ideas you have, and any comments "after" you have visited.

Lets all enjoy Snapper Halt and its tranquil setting for now.

Best Regards TheEngineer

If your down there take your pictures now because it will not remain unchanged for long.