If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Exmoor Associates - Acquisition of More of the Old L&B Line

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by TheEngineer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Re: L&B More of the Old Line

"I am not wanting to be one of the ones running the show. I was , but when standards dropped and others took over, , it just fragmented what was a very sound set up. I hate wasted effort and wasted resources, and wasted money."

Following that statement, I feel all I have to say is "I rest my case me Lud"

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

I totally agree with you but what this list may not be aware of is that EA was set up by L&BR Members to purchase the trackbed that the current project did not have the resources for at the time and I for one don't see that changing in the short term.

How I see it is that Exmoor Associates are concentrating on the trackbed between Barnstaple and Blackmoor where as the Trust is more concerned with the trackbed between Lynton and Blackmoor, which has to be an all around win, win situation for the rebuilding of the Railway.

When the time comes to sit down and discuss a merger of all the group’s concerned which have helped in the rebuilding of this railway then may be that will be the time we need to get ACAS involved. But until that happens anybody who wants to see as much of this railway open again like my self has to agree that this is the only way to go at the present time.

Some people may not like it, but unless some one can come up with the money to do something else about all of this then like all true L&BR members we are all waiting to hear how you would go about it.

However all this mud slinging does not do any part of the project any good what so ever, and at a rough guest the amount of trackbed now owned by the heritage group as a whole has to be nearly two and half miles which ten years ago would have been a dream.

It should also be noted that land prices in Devon are also up on the average across the UK an acre of non L&BR Trackbed farm land in Devon is going for around £8,000 so EA have done well out of this latest deal.

3. Tobbes

Tobbes Member

Forgive the intrusion, I'm new here.

I have no connections to with L&B or EA; I don't know any of the history. I would like to be able to contribute a small amount each month to recreating the L&B, which as a Southern fan, has always held a special resonance for me.

Which group should I donate to? Why?

Thanks,

Tobbes

4. lynbarn

Ok let’s try and be a bit rational here. As you don’t know the back ground to any of the L&BR heritage group history, I will answer your question with one or two of my own.

What you need to decide is do you want to support the purchase of the trackbed for the long term or do you want to support something that you will see in say five years time?

No one person with-in any part of the L&BR group can promise you to have all the L&BR up and running in most people’s life time (unless something big happens such as a member wins the Euro Lottery and then that will change the dynamics of the project).

So if you want to leave a legacy then by all mean’s support Exmoor Associates with your cash donations, as EA is not a charity you will not be able to obtain Gift Aid on your donation.

As I understand at this moment in time the same goes for the LYN project it too is not a charity, so if you want to donate cash to that fund you could very well see that up and running in say ten years time.

So there you are with two cash donation options.

Now if it is a case that you want to donate money to the cause and benefit from gift aid then you should pay it to the L&BR Trust via the web site, I think you can do that and I think you can or you could at one stage specify what project you want your donation to go to.

Unless it has changed we used to have:

A Heritage Carriage Fund

A Van 23 Fund

An AXE Fund

A Trackbed Fund

And a Manning Wardle Fund

And I think there where a couple of others which may have been wound up by now

There is nothing to say that if you want the L&BR Trust to set up a new fund for something you want to see on the new railway do they have to accept your donation. But this day and age anyone who wishes to donate to the cause via a special project then I think they will be more than welcome.

As for me I try and support anything to do with the L&BR, the LYD project, the AXE project, the coaches, trackbed you name it and if I have the money then it goes in the pot.
    But then I must be crazy to do what I do anyway.

Anyway that's enough from me and hopefully I have guided you in the right direction, if not, you can always PM me off list and we can discuss this further.

5. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Lynbarn:
    1. The Lyn project DOES get Gift Aid - go to www.762club.com to check it out. This project will be quicker than 10 years!!
    2. A quick trip to the L&B site would show you that yes there is a Paypal donation button available (though actually it goes to general L&B Trust funds; there are no specific funds to chose from). http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/
    A look at the websites would have told you this! :)

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)

Colin (lynbarn), I’m sorry but your summary of Exmoor Associates is not too accurate.

Exmoor Associates is a private limited company funded only by people purchasing shares. Shareholders of Exmoor Associates should not expect to receive a dividend, as it is company policy that any income is put straight back into further property (trackbed) acquisition or maintenance of existing land. However by becoming a shareholder, you can make a significant contribution towards the long term reinstatement of a railway between Lynton and Barnstaple.

The largest shareholder of Exmoor Associates is the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust.

Clicky here for further information >>> http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/

Chris

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor

This is an information posting, by The Engineer.

Whilst we have had a good around the houses on this thread, perhaps for clarity we should get back to the original posting.

Exmoor Associates is in negotiation to buy "Snapper Halt" and 550 yds of trackbed all in 14 acres of pasture.

People can become Shareholders of EA . EA is a private company, for good reason and is not attatched to the L&B organisations with any legal link , but has the same objectives ( to reinstate the L&B railway) for use of the old trackbed.

You can become a shareholder very simply either by buying 1 share at a time , a multiple of shares or contributing on monthly toward 1 share and continue to 2 or 3 over time.

EA has minimum share value of £100 each because of admin and practical reasons and the fact we are buying land assets in tens of thousands of pounds, not nuts and bolts for a couple of quid.

Shareholders always have phone & internet access to Mike Tony and Nik and others, if as a shareholder you have any questions or suggestions they are contactable you can talk to them.

EA holds an anual meeting usually near the railway where a good many get together and discuss aims objectives and plans usually associated with walking one of the pieces of old trackbed not neccessarily one EA owns.

Newsletters are mailed out as and when information needs distributing on average about once every 9 months.

The company is designed to do a job which it does well, without being too big and cumbersome. It does not have internal politics, it just gets on with the job.

That job is keeping Shareholders assets safe for the future, and investing your money wisely for the future looking at and negotiating with land owners and land agents to bring about purchases of trackbed and usefull land and re distribute land that is not required where parcels of land have to be bought as one lot.

If you feel you can get involved , or spend a little regularly, but not as a lump sum then You can buy shares on installment by standing order.

I think we aim to do 1 share per annum so thats £8.50 a month (ota).

More news will follow for you all on the "Snapper Land" shortly. We expect to conclude business in about 8 weeks, I will post up again on the forum with a new thread , to let everyone know how , the purchase is going.

Late last year we bought a section at "Raleigh Weir " about 450 yds long, that EA had been following for several years, that is about the closest we could ever expect to get into the suburbs of Barnstaple. There are 3 sections between there and "Snapper". Once the Snapper purchase is complete we will look at the adjoining sections.

EA is a live wire "can do" organisation, not for the faint hearted, you want a piece of some action come on down, but don't moan about how we do the job we are sucessfull at it and have a.......

"Good Track Record".

Best Regards to All The Engineer

8. lynbarn

Hi Martin

I think you will find that it isn’t charitable any more since someone on this very forum put the spanner in the works with the charity commission (and it was not me honest). I was and still am paying into a share scheme and shares schemes do not sit very well with the idea of philanthropy and charity.

As I understand it, this was the reason the Charity Commission saw red.

Now I would love to sit down with all those involved and discuss this and thrash out a new group structure which is clear and transparent to every one concern and satisfaction, only then can move on and get the sort of funding in place that this project really deserves.

I don’t want to open up yet another debate on this thread as we can do that on the old Lyn thread.

I have asked for clarification of this from the management team and I am awaiting a response I can do no more. I also don’t intend to throw my toys out of the pram as there is not point, since like everyone else who is in the scheme I want to see this loco built in my life time and I want to be able to fire and drive her. Is that to much to ask?

9. lynbarn

Hi Chris I didn't intend to go into the internal set up of each group, it was just to give an over view of where he could put his money, but thank you for the details anyway, I have always viewed EA as the trackbed holding company and that when the time comes, the L&BR Trust would (via a grant) one day purchase the trackbed from them, thus allowing the money which will comeback to the shareholders the opportunity to invest the money into other projects with-in the L&BR Family.

However with the current financial outlook that is not going to happen and so I can only see EA becoming the trackbed landlord of the L&BR which may not please everyone, but in one sense it would be no different if the local council owned the trackbed and leased it to the Trust, the only difference is that the Trust has shares in its own landlord company.

Now weather there is a tax break in this sort of set up I don’t know, but I guess someone reading this will tell us, as I am sure someone will also have an opinion on the above and tell me I am wrong.

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer

I actually don't care who owns what as long as it is amicable and means that before I cease to be I can do something my Dad , nor his Dad ever did . Travel on a reinstated L&B through parracombe , across chelfham viaduct behind Lyd or Lyn or (heresy an NG15) , plus take my children to enjoy the experience as well

11. Re: L&B More of the Old Line

A good way to support the L&B would be to come to the Autumn Gala September 25/26/27th Sat, Sun, Mon. (thats right, it will be so good, it extends into the Monday!).
    Come and spend lots of money!
    Even better, Volunteer to help and still end up spending lots of money!
    Ride behind LYD in a <real> L&B coach!
    Lots of food available, my Plan has EIGHT catering items on it!
    Lots to see, lots to buy or donate to obtain - LYD Postal Covers, T-Shirts, Photos of LYD, and more!
    Model railways, including 16mm Live Steam as always.
    Books, Gifts, you name it.

The BIGGEST event ever at Woody Bay. Booking on our web site soon. www.lynton-rail.co.uk/lyd

*We strongly recommend booking your ride behind LYD in advance*

"Our once and future railway"

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

I would imagine that my view is going to be contraversial, but when I see this sort of dispute going on, particularly when one participant, ie 'TheEngineer', is putting forward what appears to be an approved message from one institution in a manner which is, to say the least, garbled, I think the entire thing is well worth keeping clear of.

This isn't to say that the L&B Project isn't worthwhile, it is; but if the project isn't managed properly and transparently I think the enthusiast is better off to keep well clear of it, until the project and its institutional participants gets their act together.

Sorry if this offends,

Regards

13. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Orion

I do not believe that 'the Engineer' is an official spokesman for EA. I have shares in BP but my views on this company no way represents the 'company line'.

14. lynbarn

Martin

You scoundrel you just knew that L&BR members where going to see that news first, it is way too cheap but it going to make for a fantastic weekend.

And Chris I really think you should join NOW! If you don’t it will be to late nuff said….. lol

BRING IT ON…… HE HE HE (oh for a smiley face with a BIG grin right now)

15. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor

Clarification to Readers, especially Orion.

This thread was put up to distribute "Good news" not to argue the toss about who is right or wrong, when or where or for what reason. so far I would reckon its advised about 1200 people who otherwise probably did not know, that's about half the hits.

I have posted 3 posts in this thread the first one as OP titled "News" and the second is confirmation about the news, after a couple of people responded on thread.

I also asked "WHO IS FELIX HOLT" who yet again tried to cast dispersions on the threads credability and me. He is another shady characeture with no real name. It seems no one knows who he is or are prepared to say.

The third post was confirmation about EA shares and Shareholders and how EA operates as a result of a request from one of the readers.

None of it has been "Garbled" it might be to you if you know nothing of the background and I have not entered into debate with anyone and do not intend to.

Other people have gone off on tangents change of subject ETC not inspired by me.Don't single me out for something I have not done.

I find your posting impossible to quantify or support, to my knowledge you have no background on the L&B to make suggestions about me and what I have written apart from what you have read on this forum previously.Please do not reduce the Good News to insignificance.

Regards to All Readers

16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

Sorry, but there is something here that is distinctly odd, very odd indeed.

17. 76079

76079 Member

You never learn to give it a rest do you?

If your intent is to go around and slate everyones best efforts just because it doesnt meet your impossible standards can i suggest you go and do it somewhere else before you succeed in upsetting even more people on here.

18. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

As I said, there is something most peculiar in this matter.

19. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"As I said, there is something most peculiar in this matter. "

Is there a talking parrot flying around here somewhere?

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer

All

We have had further reported posts on this thread , Please can we keep on topic and not descend into an unnecessary dispute as to the rights and wrongs of the current set up . as Engineer says what was posted as good news that another piece of trackbed is at least in preservationists hands should be celebrated