If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ex Fairbourne Railway carriage disposal

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by David Lowe 2, Mar 12, 2016.

1. David Lowe 2

David Lowe 2 New Member

BVR General Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For about 16 years, the Bure Valley Railway has had the use of two ex Fairbourne Railway (12.25 inch gauge era) carriages. They are numbers 123 and 125. These have been used on gala and "Thomas" days in headshunt shuttles within Aylsham station, operating on air braked 15 inch gauge bogies.

Since we stopped doing "Thomas" several years ago, these carriages have been disused and are considered surplus to requirements. The wooden bodywork and interiors have deteriorated to the point where we are considering breaking them up, to release the useful underframe, bogies and brake equipment.

However, should any organisation be interested in these carriages as a restoration project, we are open to sensible offers for the body work, possibly including the underframe (but not bogies or brake gear), they are invited to get in touch with us. Viewing can be arranged for serious enquiries - for casual interest, they can be seen alongside the platform at Aylsham.

A significant amount of body woodwork, and internal upholstery and decorating is required. We may well end up breaking these vehicles up, but would be delighted if someone wished to save them!

Please contact me off list (personal message) or email davidl@bvrw.co.uk if you are seriously interested. I will try and post some photos!

David Lowe

Attached Files:

2. bvr379

bvr379 New Member

David, Please send me an email with the above text and photos. David Barnes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk