If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Engines Being Scrapped?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 69621, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

No , just loved it when I heard the epic story

2. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Robert Thompson [Tommo] Ex Submariner, ex RN Stores Gosport, lived in Portsmouth, got married, one child, separated, returned to Walney Island. Famous for saying "no matter how little I have done for you, it all the less for you to do", which you can't argue with. :D

Yes I know Tommo, and Mac, Neal K, Steamer, Mick S, and me. We all went to Barry in the MUD mobile to Barry, and did the sideways shunt.

martin1656 likes this.
  3. Reading General

i rememeber MUD well, gone to the fiery furnace now I expect :-(

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Mac,Who always looked like he had been pulled though a smoke tube :), mick S, im not sure about but i certainly did know Tommo and Mac, Mac was in the urie group at the time, along with Barry stratton,, john gibbons and 2 others who i cant remember the names of, one used to make the patterns

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

So where did these S160's come from? Hungary?? With seized pistons in blocks? or did you get the good blocks I sent from Poland?

6. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

last night I made two big posts with pictures and today they are missing along with page 15! What's going on?

7. Reading General

Odd....

8. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Not sure, will have a look.

10. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

These are the only copies of the boiler book, which confirms TKh 2944's boiler should be number 13387 1952.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the boiler reg plate should look like this one, and should be riveted to the boiler.

[​IMG]

Every boiler should have one of these plates bolted to the back-head cladding. it is the date of the hydraulic tests, which were done every 4 years, between majors and intermediate repairs, 8 year cycles.

[​IMG]

Firebox replacement every 16 years, and new half sides lower throat and lower tube plate,
    every alternate 16 years. A completer re-stay at every 16 year major, but recycled boiler tubed normally fitted from larger locos at every overhaul. Foundation ring taken out every 8 years, any grooving welded back to full thickness. every 32 years test samples taken from boiler to test for strength of steel. you'll notice small round patches welded in the barrel. These are those tests.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  11. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Found this about ZNTK Olesnice. Full of memories for me.

12. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Can I ask about this sideways shunt please? Sounds intresting!

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

One of the LMS 4F 0-6-0 Locos had been bought, but was at the back of a long line of other locos, which were immoveable for one reason or another, so it was decided to use traversing jacks to move the 4 to the adjacent empty road to get it to the loading point.

14. Consolidation Mike

Consolidation Mike New Member

The CVR S160's came from different locations, 5197 from China via Derek Foster, and 6046 from Hungary via a gent who also owned (I believe) a Kriegslok.

The locos associated with Ian Riley, which are now at Ruddington, include two cylinder blocks, one of which has pistons in place and seized, two other blocks there, we would be interested to know the history of these if you are able to tell us more?

15. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Doing it Sideways! Or a crazy way to win a bet.

I wrote this about about a year ago, for a book which will be a new, and final Barry history.

It all started with the purchase of 44123, in December 1981. Up until then we only had the Jinty, 47324, and having a 4F seemed the next logical step. So I started fundraising for the purchase of the engine, which took a few months to pull together. A new group of people, with some of the 3F group put up the purchase money for 44123, which I had reserved via BSLAG, and Woodham's. At the same time a number of people asked me to try and get 80104 for the Mid-Hants, but an unforeseen split in the group took place, and the engine was bought on the same day as 44123, by a group from Swanage.

We had used all the money to buy the engine, and we had nothing left to pay for the move to the Mid-Hants. Discussing the situation one evening, Mike V offered to pay for the move of the engine, if it was done within a month. If we missed the deadline, then he would not pay, so it was like a bet, which I was determined to win.

I contacted a transport company and got a quote which was excepted, and a provisional date set for the move.

We were faced with the problem getting the engine to the normal loading track in the yard, which would have involved moving a lot of engines and rolling stock. I'd already spoken to Dia's Foreman about doing a shunt of the yard, but he was far from keen on helping us. The trouble was 44123 stood on the same track as the King, which had several cut wheels, and was dangerous to move. There was also some wagons, which a number of had become derailed. The 4F was completely stuck almost at the back of the yard, with no way out.

As 44123 was at the far end of the yard, it seemed to me, why not leave by the end of the yard. All that was stopping us was a Merchant Navy, which needed to be moved backwards, about 40 feet. Moving the Bullied would create a space to allow 44123 to be shunted sideways, using traversing the jacks. That would put the loco on an empty siding with a clear space for a low loader to reverse up to and load.

Now, I should explain, the traversing jacks we were going to use were probably at least 50 years old. These are only normally used to re-rail rolling stock, which has becomed derailed, and can lift about 20 tons each at a push. Each jack was mechanical, and consisted of two screws, one to lift, and one to traverse. All the jacks had been recovered from various places, and were in a bit of a state.

They all needed to be overhauled, as they all had bits missing or damaged, as they had not been used in years. Then came the problem of how to move a Merchant Navy without using a diesel shunter. Pinch bars were dismissed, as they only really work on wagons. It was suggested turfer winches should work, as long as we could anchor them. Mike said he knew where he could borrow all the kit we needed, as long as we did not break it!

A trip to Barry was arranged, and we set off in our bus with gas bottles and a big hydraulic jack. On arrival in Barry we started work, but we found that the front buffers had been stolen.

This sort of thing used to go on all the time, as some groups "collected" extra spares. This mostly went on in the very early days of Barry, when it was thought wrongly, most engines would not be preserved. As time went by more and more parts were removed, reducing the dwindling number of engines to hulks. If this had not gone on, every loco would have remained complete, and much easier to restore.

Despite the tender pins being very rusty, the application of a jack and large hammer got the pins to move, and in a couple of hours, we had the tender free. We then went on a hunt for two buffers. Our buffers were stolen after we had bought the engine, so we were forced to "find" two replacements from other engines.

A single buffer is a very heavy object, and difficult to carry because of it's size and shape. We were no happy with having to lug all of our kit, to a buffer remove it and drag everything back to our bus.

I feel no shame about taking the buffers from other engines, as there was a simple rule in Barry. Dia Woodham always sold a loco by it's booked weight, not it's actual. This meant if you bought a complete engine, and it was not, you were allowed to make you engine complete from others. In the case of the 4F, there were no other engines of the same class in the yard, so there were no parts to have.

As we had been looking for Jinty parts for several years, we already knew where 44123's rods were, so we just replaced our missing buffers and called it a day. Before we left for home, we did a final measure up to check if the tender, and then engine would fit through the gap created by moving the Bullied, and it did with a few feet to spare.

We loaded up MUD 975, our groups trusty coach, for a three day trip, with the overhauled jacks, loads of packing timber, two turfer winches with long cables, borrowed from the MOD, pipes, bars and chains. On an early Friday morning, left fully loaded for Barry. On the way we always liked to stop at Lea Delamere services to change drivers and have some food. We parked our bus in amongst all the new coaches, only to get drivers coming around to look at our old machine. We even used to pick up hitch hikers, just for the fun of it.

When we arrived at Woodham's yard, we parked up in the Barry Island Coach Park, which gave us direct access to the rear end of the yard, through a very well used hole in the fence, and set to moving the Bullied. We attached two winches to the engine, but at first it seemed it was not going to move because the winches started to tear the track out of the ground. Two winches gave us in theory 20tons of pull, much more than a small diesel loco generates. After resetting the winches, the engine started to move, very slowly, inch by inch. Every time the engine moved, there was a scraping noise coming from the loco. Then someone noticed we were actually dragging the engine, as one driving wheels was not turning! After a bit more sliding, it started to turn, and we got a bit of speed on! So much so, the engine moved easily on just one jack. We moved the engine the required distance, and felt happy that the big job was over.

Then it was the turn of the 4F. Using the Bullied as the anchor, we pulled 44123 into the gap. It moved very easily as it's bearing were still complete, and the tender had greased wooden blocks, in place of brass bearings. then the tender was uncoupled, and winched clear of the engine, ready for the traversing the next day.

Job done, we all cleaned up, as best we could, and headed for the Famous Florida Grill. The owner always used to greet us with a Welsh "Hello Boys!". I guess he valued his railway clients, and the cafe never seemed to be very busy, except when we arrived.

For those who don't know, the Florida Grill was a small cafe, which was just across the road from the road leading to the yard. Just about every group who bought a loco from Woodham's eat there, simply because it served good cheap food, and you could have a beer too. I nearly always had Liver in gravy, with all the trimmings.

Sleeping accommodation was provided by kipping in the bus, which lead to some fun and games, because the car park we used was a local night spot for couples trying to find a quiet place. Of course we could not allow that to happen! It's amazing just how fast a car goes from 0 to 60, with 4 bus head lamps pointed at it.

The next day dawned, and after filling breakfast cooked on camping gas stoves, we started to move the tender. One jack under each corner, and a raft of timber going from track 2 to 1. The plan was to lift the tender so the flanges cleared the rails. With just the weight of the tender, on 4 jacks, it was quite easy to lift, once it was at the right height, the slewing commenced. we had to pack the tender and slew a few inches, then drop it onto the packing, and resetting the jacks each time. Slowly but surely, the tender moved from one track to the other. By the end of the day, 44123 was beside it's tender. The last job of the day was to move the tender, so we had space to move the engine across, the next day.

After another hearty meal in the Florida Grill, the second night in Barry passed quietly. I guess word had gone around that the Island car-park was not a quiet place to go, and I think we were all to tired to play anyway.

We felt, the engine would be as easy as the tender, but the shear weight of the loco made the whole job ten times harder. We had to have two people on one jack, and we could only lift one end at a time, which made the jacks unstable. We needed more packing, so we went looking for old wagon planks. With extra packing we could use the jacks and move the engine sideways, but only very slowly. for extra safety we put a turfier winch on each end of the engine, to stop it falling backwards or forwards. It took all day to move the engine 14 feet sideways.
    The team was Neal Knowlden, Mick Sedgley, Steamer
    Robert Thompson [AKA Tommo], and myself, John Graham

Sadly, on my last visit to Barry, when the last engine left the yard, and there was a gathering of a lot of ex Barry loco owners, the Florida Grill had surcomed, and had changed name. It was also the last time I met Dia Woodham, before he passed away.

Quite fitting really, as it ended my involvement with Barry Scrapyard. I've never been back since that day, as I want to remember Barry as it was, in those special times, not as it is now.

16. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

The S160 blocks came from a scrapyard in Poland in, which was almost unknown, and had a very novel way of breaking up engines. I can't say more as I need to refresh my mind of the location, and find pics. ;)

lil Bear likes this.
  17. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    John
    For MIKE read Bryan.
    I supplied the Tirfor winches curtesy of an establishment near Tidworth.
    How many lifts was it for the tender alone 24 if I recall rightly.
    When we moved the MN the wires on the Tirfors were a little bit on the taut side of things.

18. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Zakłady Górniczo-Metalowe „Zębiec” w Zębcu Spółka Akcyjna

They had hundreds of loco's some of which had been blown up, and bits were scattered in the woods all around the yard. Lots of derailed engined, but every one had all the boilers cut open and tubes removed, leaving only hulks to take bits from. I have pictures from my visits, but until I find them the below site shows you how it used to be.

http://tomi.holdys.pl/index2.php?gal=psmk09

Nothing left today but I rescued two cylinder blocks and a s160 tender chassis with bogies. The tender still had a GWR handbrake fitted, so it must have worked on the GWR before D-Day.

Martin Perry likes this.
  19. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

After 30+ years things get a bit mixed up! Where you at Barry with us? Is your sirname is Sedgley? and yes it was about 24 times, but if you recall, we only lifted the loco up once to clear the flanges, and then packed it so we only had to clear the packing each time, move 3 or 4" sideways, and drop an inch onto the packing, move jack, and repeat. God that was hard work! Remember the MN sliding? :D

20. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

With a bit of digging on the Polish internet, I've found 2944 was supplied to Zakłady Metalurgiczne in Myszkowie, 05/19/1952. Today the company is called Odlewnia "Cema-Mystal" Sp. z o.o., Partyzantów 21, 42-300 Myszków, Poland, before it went to Huta Małapanew in Ozimek Poland. You never know, they might have some pictures in their company archives. Certainly worth a stamp.