If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Engines Being Scrapped?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 69621, Apr 5, 2012.

1. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just how much of 9F 92085 ended up at the Bluebell? I know the cylinders are there. What about parts from the pony truck?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The "spare block" has been attached to the frames of 7754 for about 20 years.

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Quite correct! I remembered just after going out and wasn't able to edit my post. 7754's block had a chunk blown out of it at Mountain Ash. IIRC 3612's wheels are in the SVR pool of spares as well. Ray.

4. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer

From memory (which may be flawed of course) the tender of 92085 ended up with 92212 on the MHR, all the motion went to 92240, as did the cylinder block, the complete pony truck - who in turn have allowed the 84030 team to use the wheelset for that locomotive - and I think I am right in saying the springs and axleboxes were brought by a 9F owner (David Sheppard?) or was that 76080?

I vaguely remember that someone wanted to buy the 9F cab as a exhibit for a museum somewhere but was beaten by Woodham's men when they arrived to late to Barry.

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The cylinders from 92085 were I think intended for 92240, but in the end 92240 kept her originals, so the cylinders from 92085 still exist but as spares.

Tom

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Returning to the currently under threat locos, there is a report in the Railway Magazine that the two 0-6-0Ts from the Spa Valley have been bought by a group for use on the Churnet Valley, and that a third of this type is now for sale at the Spa Valley.

7. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Good news about the stored pair, and no surprise that the running one is for sale given that it can't work into Eridge.

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  9. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

It looks as though S160 No.2253 may now be at risk, at it is on the NYMR's list of items to be disposed of for scrap if not sold within two months.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Is it for sale at scrap price though ?
    All too often we see something advertised as "buy it at my price + x premium above scrap or i'll scrap it" threats.
    If it's for sale at scrap price range then it's attractive, but if it's £10's of K on top... then why ?

11. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Indeed... its commonly seen in the classic car world, "buy it or I'll scrap it", which is fair enough if you're floggin a car for marginally above scrap price but when you're asking 3x the scrap value then it all seems a little pointless.

As for the S160 in question... would I be right in saying it is one of the few S160s with genuine "British" pedigree left? Surely someone will stump up the required sum.

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

2253, the S160 the NYMR wants to sell, is reported to have been a Neville Hill engine and it is believed that it worked over what is now the NYMR in the war years. Ironically, that makes it one of the very few engines on the line to have worked it pre-preservation.

I believe the asking price was ca. 80K, but that may have been reduced now.

13. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

It's on the 'for sale at scrap value' list which has been posted in the XP64 thread. For the life of me I can't understand why the Trust Board is so keen to get rid of the thing.

14. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Surprised they don't wait til the autumn when 6046 visits. She'll show them just how useful these locos really are!

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

£80k...
    Well it won't be going for scrap at that price.
    Is the £80k in overhauled condition ?

If I want a polish loco (ok there isn't any s160's still owned by pkp), but at similar size, weight and mechanical condition/ completeness I could by several dozen locos at around £20k a piece.
    I'm pretty certain an s160 elsewhere on the continent could be had for much less than £80k.
    Indeed £15k will buy you a massive PKP tkt 2-8-2t right now... Just needs overhaul, but otherwise excellant condition.... And the massive kreigslok BR52 could be yours at £40k..

Remember this a Polish loco, built in the war in the US, not one of Swindons finest copper and brass from the 1920's... There won't be much in the way of precious metal on this one.

http://greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/
    122,000 kg of scrap iron and steel at 8p per kg gives a value of £10k... Granted theres probably some better quality steel on it somewhere, and probably puts it in the same range as the pkp examples above.

I'd say it would be good at the NRM... Afterall how many other wartime required steam classes does it have in the collection, especially mass produced international use classes, does the NRM even have any foreign built overseas locos that ran in the UK...
    For the wartime story They could still pick from a WD2-10-0, S160 or 8F if they chose...any of them fill a large gap in the national collection..an S160 would certainly stand out.

16. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Yes, but apart from the Nene Valley, where would you run it?

17. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

There are a few lines which can accommodate smaller continental engines - the KESR, the Avon Valley, the Northampton & Lamport, and presumably the Churnet Valley - but the problem with a Kriegslok is the height. Even the NVR had to lower the track under a couple of bridges in order to accommodate one.

The Polish tkt is the Prussian T14, yes?

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I hope not. I have good memories of 2253 from a family holiday in Yorkshire in 1998. She was in steam most of the time we stayed in Pickering.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not quite, tkt is the class / wheel dimensions.
    the initial tkt designation was based off what remained of classes in Poland post war 1945.
    tkt1 is the Prussian T14.
    tkt3 = BR86, it's ancester Polish offspring is tkt48. (48 meaning year of introduction of the class - 1948).

tkt48 is the most numerous of this wheel arrangement in Poland (it was after all PKP's standard tank engine).

As for gauge, judge for yourself, width over cylinders is a little more than a GWR Prarie, about 20cm wider each side than standard, above platform level it is slightly wider (12.5 cms / 4 inches either side of the loco)... platform clearance may be tight, but not impossible.
    http://www.bkd.trainsim.pl/magazyn/dokumenty/TKt48.jpg

It is 4500mm tall, so height is an issue only around 40 centimetres, but a lower chimney, dome and cab would cover this with little cost, if a line really has an issue.

for comparison look at this image of a tkt48 with GWR 5521 in 2009 in Poland - a Prairie hardly being the largest of locos to operate in the UK ( fyi..This combo sounded fantastic)

Attached Files:

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

fyi,

a few pages up, this thread started discussing PKP Ferrum shunting loco's and their dimensions, which have now safely got a home a the Churnet Valley.
    It's line drawing is here..

http://www.bkd.trainsim.pl/magazyn/dokumenty/ferrum47.jpg

it is out of gauge by 10cm either side at track level, and in gauge above platform level and in height.

Bramblewick likes this.