If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway Updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Luke McMahon, Sep 9, 2016.

1. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Fingers crossed for information this week, as next week might be a little late ;)

2. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I fully agree with Luke's comments about Embsay being a friendly line, and worth a visit.

We took advantage of a freight train event last year and travelled on the brake van behind a Class 08. I'm always on the lookout for something different, and the brake van is the perfect antidote to Mk 1 carriages. It's a great way to see the line and the scenery too.

My only reservation about the Embsay line is that they often seem to be short of volunteers, resulting in the shop and/or café being closed. It's a shame because it's an excellent, enthusiast-oriented shop.

I think it makes sense (leaving aside the capital cost) for the line to operate out of Skipton. It's a real tourist honeypot, and the main line connection has very frequent services from Leeds and Bradford. I don't think there's much to be gained from extending East. Addingham is a nice village, but I suspect the NIMBY factor would be overwhelming. The last mile into Ilkley has been extensively developed, so there's no chance of a meaningful station in Ilkley.

3. Tim Light

I notice from their web site that they are offering cab rides in the Class 37 for £45 on Father's Day. I might treat myself.

Good to see Embsay coming up with innovative ways of tapping new markets.

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    AS I understand the situation.
    The platform at Skipton station is on the operational Grassington branch.
    When Skipton was remodelled in 1994 for electrification the line through this platform was slewed outwards from the platform to eliminate any potential clearance problems. As part of the scheme the pointwork downhill of the platform was then laid in. (I was an STO/Site Engineer in the Relay Team that did the works and supervised the installation and tamping work)
    If the platform is required to be used again it may not be possible to realign the pointwork easily, especially with the proximity of the road O/Br.

The other comment made about all that is needed to reconnect the Line at Embsay Jcn is 2 track panels.
    Bit more than that I think.
    A full turnout designed for the existing curveature on the Grassington line, I would expect a catch point or trap would be needed on the Embsay line.
    S+T work. I think that currently the junction site is outside the Track circuit area, it used to be the protecting signal uphill of the platform at Skipton was the end of the TC.
    Therefore new signalling and circuitry would be needed from Approx Brackenley lane bridge on the Grassington line, Signalling and TC work on the Embsay line and full signalling and TC from the Jcn down to Skipton.

What is the gradient in the platform? I can't remember that but think that may create a problem with runrounds.

However all comments are based on what the situation used to be up to 2000, any changes since may alter these comments.

I wish them well and fully support the aim to reconnect but it will take some money and a lot of effort.
    I have been a regular visitor and customer to the line in the past and intend to keep on doing that.

5. forty

forty Member

Another factor has to be pathing as the Grassington branch is currently busy with up to 3 t rains a day up & down the line & this extends to some weekend working as well.

Would certainly add the X - factor is Skipton could be incorporated on to the line.

Interesting that people seem to think it is a friendly line, my experience has been the exact opposite mostly at Bolton Abbey Station not Embsay.

6. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Interesting that people seem to think it is a friendly line, my experience has been the exact opposite mostly at Bolton Abbey Station not Embsay.

care to enlighten us? From speaking to visitors, the only ones who seem to have 'issues' are those who seem to think they can just walk onto the platform without a ticket and/or believe that a hi-vis is a permit to roam! Apologies if you don't fit in to this catagory but I do see most complaints, assuming that you have mentioned this to the organisation prior to posting anonymously on a public forum?

Will

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Platelayer likes this.
  7. Tim Light

I never had anything other than a friendly welcome on this line.

Most other railways manage to be both friendly and professional. I have had very rare occurrences of snotty or officious treatment but thankfully it's very much the exception.

sycamore likes this.
  8. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Always enjoy visits to Embsay, just a shame that this weekend might be missed due to no information/timetable.

9. forty

forty Member

care to enlighten us? From speaking to visitors, the only ones who seem to have 'issues' are those who seem to think they can just walk onto the platform without a ticket and/or believe that a hi-vis is a permit to roam! Apologies if you don't fit in to this catagory but I do see most complaints, assuming that you have mentioned this to the organisation prior to posting anonymously on a public forum?

The circumstances were not in the first bracket & no I didn't formally complain. Just vowed to take my money & family else where & not waste any more time on the railway.

Q) Can I buy lunch for the family in the station café?
    A) Not without a train ticket.

Delivered as bluntly as that & couldn't be arsed looking up to speak to me either!!

I just walked away .............. I couldn't be arsed saying thank you either.

It's done now I've moved on.

10. sycamore

sycamore Member

sounds like you objected to buying a £1 (different on special events) Platform Ticket to me. Sadly, although the minority object (mainly in principle), it is a gift aid requirement that the railway cannot offer free access to it's platforms. There plenty of signs explaining the reasons behind this but some simply choose to ignore them, and then get upset when challenged!

PS: These are my personal views and opinions

will

11. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Glad this has come up - possibility that I will be in the area at the some point and I now know no point turning trying to use the E&BASR tea rooms without having time to consider travelling!

Must say the response both quoted by @forty on the day and to his post on here - @forty made no mention of even being asked to pay £1 'admission' to the access the Tea Room - might make me think twice about travelling anyway! I have always found the E&BASR a friendly line on visits in the past, but it is some years since I went there and it sounds as though things may have changed rather!

Steven

12. sycamore

sycamore Member

if we were the NYMR I could understand your predicament, but (assuming you drive?) the stations are 4 miles/5 min apart by main road. Turn up at 10am and decide which station to park at! For logistical reasons, diesels are usually based at Bolton Abbey :)

13. sycamore

sycamore Member

l
    last time I wanted a ticket, I seem to recall it was MY responsibility to buy a ticket, not the responsibility of someone else! The signs are obvious and if people choose to ignore them, don't complain!!! Regarding traveling - I don't recall saying that you can't visit the Tea Room' without traveling, you just need a platform ticket - simples!

14. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

What puzzles me is why buying a Platform Ticket to use the tea rooms, or presumably to set foot on the platform, should be a Gift Aid requirement

15. Tim Light

I think Steven's concern was the lack of courtesy rather than the conditions of entry.

Bean-counter likes this.
  16. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

In which case I, and I suspect many others, will decide to gain refreshment at an establishment where they don't have to buy a platform ticket to gain entry!

And sorry, I would suggest that it is the Railway's task to ensure people know what they can or can't do without making payment - 'the customer is always right' (even when they are wrong!;)) and I am frankly shocked at both your attitude on here and that reported by @forty to passengers asking questions - you may have heard the question many times before, you may know that there is a notice but that is no reason or excuse for a rude or off-hand manner in your response!

Steven

35B, Forestpines, 2392 and 3 others like this.
  17. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    No timetable, no confirmation of locos running surely must equal no visitors??

If it was a normal weekend fair comment.

Information is king especially with the like of Wensleydale, NYMR & KWVR all competing for business this weekend.

18. ykin01

ykin01 Member

Totally agree, finding the lack of information/timetable worrying.

Spending the following week in North Yorks & will visit the NYMR then so thought I'd call in at Embsay on the journey up to break it up. But with the lack of timetable/information unfortunately that visit looks unlikely.

19. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Have you tried ringing or emailing the railway??

sycamore likes this.
  20. sycamore

sycamore Member

see my post further up RE: Free access. Also, If you buy a train ticket (and gift-aid payment) if becomes a platform ticket for 1 year (few restricted dates),
    https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/are-tourist-railways-welcoming-enough.884935/