If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Electrification of the Settle and Carlisle

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Tiviot Dale, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

The arguments against wind turbines are many and the economic ones are certainly not silly.

ragl likes this.
  2. greenslade

greenslade Member

northern steam,i suspect that it is nexus that prevents steam on the n/c to s/land bit of the metro.i have yet to see any reason for this,if you have one please tell us,thank you.

Hirn likes this.
  3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I highly doubt the S&C will be electrified in my lifetime, chiefly because NR and Virgin only remember it's there when the WCML is stuffed up, electrifying most of the network is a good idea over time, but the S&C is pretty far down the list compared to some others, which will take plenty of years themselves, think the gaps in the wires in the Bristol - York route will be a high priority once the GWML and MML are completed.

Really we should have a network like the Swiss where 95% of the network is electrified, save the odd minor branch or freight facility.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Difference being that the Swiss can call upon a huge amount of hydroelectric power. Energising the UK would be whole different kettle of fish.

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

True electricity supply needs sorting out, but widespread use of Diesel can't go for too many more decades, for both enviromental and cost/supply grounds.

threelinkdave likes this.
  6. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    True the UK has a mixed power source provision but that is also a strength. As for actual power delivery that is what the national grid is for

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

The OHLE is only 1500v DC, but it is very flimsy compared to 25KV kit, or even the old Woodhead 1500V overhead. The insulators aren't built to withstand the heat from a steam locomotive's exhaust, even in 'light steam', I understand.

Hirn likes this.
  8. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Back to the original post - if OHLE is going through Sydney Gardens in Bath within a UNESCO World Heritage site, there is zero chance of getting it stopped on the S&C on purely aesthetic grounds!

ADB968008 and threelinkdave like this.
  9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Of course someone could always apply for UNESCO status for the entire S&C..
    It was planned for the GWML... until they realised that it could affect the ability to get electrification installed.. then they changed their minds really quickly and got on with electrification asap before it was too late to be able to stop it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  10. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Actually some are.....offshore wind is very expensive and IMHO probably a technological dead end that wave and tidal may well replace, but onshore wind compares reasonably.... see below.

The problem with renewables is not cost per se, but dispatch-ability. That is to say the predictability of being able to forward plan when the power will be available. It is one of the reasons why the Met Office has bought its new computer - to predict when the wind will blow. Sooner or later we will need to adopt some different patterns of power usage and homes and vehicles with batteries (energy storage) are likely to become the norm. Essentially we need a way to store large amounts of energy when it is available, for when it is needed. That will be a mix of distributed storage (batteries in home and transport) and perhaps large scale energy storage.....technology to be worked out from lots of options. Tidal and wave don't have this dispatch problem to the same extent as wind. They are technologies in infancy at present, but likely to be more important in the future.

UK energy costs for different generation technologies in pounds per megawatt hour (2010)
    TechnologyCost range (£/MWh)
    Tidal power155 – 390
    Solar farms125 – 180
    Onshore wind80 – 110
    Offshore wind150 – 210
    New nuclear80 – 105 (92.50 guaranteed from 2023)
    Natural gas turbines with CO2 capture60 – 130
    Natural gas turbine, no CO2 capture55 – 110
    Coal with CO2 capture100 – 155
    Biomass
    60 – 120

Hirn likes this.
  11. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

I live close to the line, and use it regularly, and would gladly welcome electrification! Get a grip guys, this is not a heritage railway but a living breathing part of the national network!

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Fair enough - an alternative point but different debate. Don't let's go there here.

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And why BR went headlong into diesel traction rather than a more measured shift to electricity and retain steam a little longer is for the history books and the political debate. More important is the fact that 25 years on from the S&C being saved, talk is still of retaining the route in some form or another.

andalfi1 likes this.
  14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm not sure any country has successfully achieved that... closest was probably the Swiss.. not many Diesels there. Even the Dutch has a sizeable diesel fleet but got rid of steam as soon as they could post war in the early 1950s, last one was 3737 in 1958, it's unlikely that the WD 2-10-0 preserved in their museum has ever had it's boiler lifted, since it arrived in Europe in 1945... (It spent 2-3 years in storage and was withdrawn by 1952 - and people think we in the UK wasted steam !!!).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  15. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Can we assume that you're supporting the (mis)guided BRT2 Corbs on the grounds it's updating the transport system in Bristol.... ;)

16. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Not sure about updating there.... Maybe sidedating.... or undating perhaps?

At least I'm not protesting on aesthetic grounds alone ;) although that said, there's going to be a stop just outside my living room window, so not sure if I should be pleased for the convenience factor or annoyed that I can't stand at the window in my pants without an audience of 70 people going past every few minutes!

Avonside1563 likes this.
  17. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Japan?

Hirn and Martin Perry like this.
  18. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Electrification, with the inherent gauge enhancement, would be wonderful boost for the really long term future of this route. The attitude of some, that good photographs are more important than upgrading the national rail system, is beyond belief.

Bean-counter and KentYeti like this.
  19. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    The S&C had better take their place in the queue, we need the Scarborough-Leeds-Manchester-Liverpool job doing as a matter of urgency, yes, before HS2 (and I'm a big supporter of HS2)

20. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Cant agree more. The coast to coast spine is a high priority. The S&C does come someway down the list, and may never be economic, but it should be on the list for sometime in the future