If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Effect of the Weather on Loadings?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by oldmrheath, Jul 7, 2018.

1. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Just wondering if there's any evidence that this weather is helping or impacting passenger loadings on heritage lines ? A Mk1 at heritage line speeds can be a fairly uncomfortable place on a baking afternoon....

Jon

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And not only that Jon, most heritage lines. though not all, require a car journey to get to them. Fine for those with air conditioning in their cars and no children I guess.

3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    A former manager of Waverley said that the very hot days meant that everyone headed to the beach but a cooler day meant that they were looking for something different, so the ship did better business

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  4. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd agree with that. If it's too hot it can turn people away. Likewise if it's too cold.

5. cav1975

cav1975 Member

Similar effect on the Isle of Wight.

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

We've found the same at Fairbourne in the past - but only up to a point. A prolonged hot spell can mean that people can get to frazzled or even bored with the beach and loadings actually pick up after a bit. NYMR figures seem to be holding up very well from what I've heard, for example.

7. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I would expect NYMR figures to have a bounce following the TV series as whilst I appreciate there have been several more series of Life at the Zoo, their figures have had a substantial uplift since the program started.

I would be interested if there is a difference in figures for railways in traditional seaside holiday areas e.g Fairbourne, Talyllyn, Swanage, Dart Valley etc as opposed to those who in the main look to attract day trippers from near by large conurbations. e.g Severn Valley. The former have to get people off the beach but at least the nice weather get them into the area. You are much more likely to get people travelling on the Fairboure if they are staying in Barmouth than if in Edgbaston.

8. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

It's good to hear if numbers are holding up at the Moors - certainly it must be adding to costs to hire in and run diesels as well as steam , plus the demands to find additional traincrew and have patrols for lineside fires.

Jon

9. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The ferry crossing between Barmouth and Penrhyn Point is a seriously nice treat on a hot day .... as is taking a slow toddle across Barmouth Bridge (have the railway and local authority sorted out that maintenance spat yet?). The larger tidal pools close by Morfa Mawddach halt are a real treat for wimps like me to swim in too, but note that even little crabs can make their presence known when disturbed!

10. cav1975

cav1975 Member

Numbers are holding up well on the Isle of Wight too, but on hot sunny days we do miss out on the "bonus" for cold wet days! Lots of interest following the C4 restotation series too.

11. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    They'd hold up even better if engineering possesions on the coastway let up occasionally. Paying through the nose to be bounced around on a slow, filthy and clapped out bus for longer than the whole journey from Brighton should take isn't my idea of a good time and planning any weekend rail journey has become such a chore for so long now, I seriously doubt I'm the only one who's long given up trying! :Meh:

cav1975 likes this.
  12. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Hot and sunny summers are disastrous for the North Norfolk Railway! Thankfully I've yet to see too many empty trains so far in this hot spell...

Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

13. Andy B

Andy B Member

Still no let up at the Gwsr - bus rally last Sunday was a huge success with packed trains. Broadway effect still in full flow with passenger numbers running nearly 60% up

14. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Indeed the extremes of the weather to hot/to cold, can be a killer in our business. as has been seen to a degree at the moment, to hot and folk flock to the beach to sock up the sun etc. To cold/wet and they folk to the indoor shopping mall [i.e. the Metro Centre round my way] or similar.