If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Eastleigh 100 line up of steam trains

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Mar 1, 2009.

1. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The brake van rides will be worked by the M7 on Saturday and Monday, and Beattie on Monday.

41312 is a non runner as it's boiler ticket has expired. It was offered in lieu of Wadebridge (after 73096's failure), and being a class appropriate to local trains in the area was accepted.

2. nipper

nipper New Member

Also seems like Cromwell has been pulled from its visit to the Mid Norfolk Railway for an undisclosed reason. Apparently no one is passing on information to the railway, which is not very professional.

Is the loco a bit shy or is there sinister forces at work here?

3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why don't you tell us, to have said the above you must have a theory on the matter or is it just an attempt to stir things up?

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Why not be a bit more polite about enquiring the veracity/basis of his statement/hypothesis? There's no need to attack him when a polite nudge for substantiation would do nicely. I may be putting myself up for some flak here by adding my own firepower to the war, but reading some of the constant sniping on here really does get tiresome, and not only that, it tends to drift away from the point of a thread. A select few posters also 'bandwagon' behind the sniping, which only compounds the problem. This is a civilised thread about the Eastleigh Works 100 event, not the operational details of a specific locomotive. And before the 'free speech and discussion' squad start cornering me, I will be the first to admit that there is no such thing, as all speech has its consequences (hence it is not free), especially if not considered properly and given a context. There endeth the lesson.

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Hear! Hear!

6. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

There is a message on UKrailphotography that may interest some..............

7. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thank you BillR.

Been trying to post that all afternoon but have techie problems at work. Works OK on a Pendolino !!

In short, we don't anticipate having to turn people away on the Saturday unless there are 10,000+ in the queue at 10.00.We just ask people to be patient and they will be processed at the ticket gate as quickly as possible.

The key times for events are:

Saturday

0800 Opens for Early Bird
    1000 General public admission
    1100 Official opening by Pete Waterman (Pete will be signing copies of his book 'A train is for life' and chatting with visitors all day Saturday)
    1200 Re-dedication of 50135 Ark Royal
    1500 Re-dedication of 73201 Broadlands
    1700 Site closes (same for Sun & Mon)

Sunday
    c 1300 Naming of 73119 Borough of Eastleigh by the Mayor of Eastleigh

Monday

Hurricane flypast

8. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wouldn't a Spitfire flypast be more appropriate since the prototype flew from just over the fence? But then maybe there wasn't a choice, having made a bid...

Shame really, I can't go on any of the the days due to family commitments, though I hope to squeeze a photo of 35028 early on Saturday.

Hope the weekend goes well.

9. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Entirely agree on a Spitfire being more appropriate, as the first flight was from the adjacent airfield, however one was not available as it is covering other events.

10. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Given that BBMF is out as a three and the rota suggests that the 2nd Hurricane is being flown it is most likely that the pilot is one of the 'juniors' and not cleared to fly spits yet....

Appears they have commitments to provide 2 Spits, 2 Hurricanes and the Lanc for flypasts that day... schedule suggests you're on the way to 2 displays at Beaulieu and overnight stabling at Bournemouth Airport.

Looking forward to Saturday!

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I had great day with my Dad today down the MHR and then in pursuit of the movement of the MHR loco's. The loco's went up to Alton early (behind the Blue Class 33 with 850 giving a considerable shove!) just before the service trains started but were an hour late leaving Alton (NR). The WCR 37 37706 didn't pass us at Bentley on the way to Alton until just before 14.00 and they were due to leave Alton at 14.21. Don't know what happened there. We manged (only just!) to see them on the climb up from Ropley to Medstead in the morning and then at Bentley and Witley in the afternoon. Looking forward to Saturday.[attachment=2:15u06qcr]EST 100 move climbing to medstead.JPG[/attachment:15u06qcr][attachment=1:15u06qcr]EST 100 move medstead.JPG[/attachment:15u06qcr][attachment=0:15u06qcr]EST 100 move Witley.JPG[/attachment:15u06qcr]

12. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

That last pic is fab - The Eastleigh 100 is gonna be briliant!

13. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    47580 hauling a grey 33/0, 20 and a green 25 arrived at the works about 1730 this evening.
    the B4 and Beattie well tank were tripped from East Yard into the works today.

There were more enthusiasts on Eastleigh station this evening than for many railtours!

Cheers, Neil

14. evilswans

evilswans Member

15. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Anyone know how the RHDR are supporting this event? I cant find anything on either web site

16. rsfaithfull

rsfaithfull Member

We were told that the 47 that was supposed to be taking us spread the track in Southall Yard, so they had to russle up another loco. I had to shove the 33, poor thing was struggling a bit!! It was a good run down with no problems and I was surprised by the amount of people that turned out to see the convoy. Unfortunately, work commitments prevent me from getting down over the weekend, but I'll be there Wednesday morning to take it all back again. I hope it all goes well.

17. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Certainly was a good run RSF and as you state, the amount of people out and about was quite surprising!

18. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Great pictures Matt. At least the sun was out where you were. At Witley it went behind a cloud just before they came along and a stopper had just left the platform so it was close as to whether I got a picture. The convoy's appearance certainly raised the spirit's of the two guys who had been waiting for over an hour and were just giving up as my Dad and I turned up. When they saw our cameras they asked us if we had come for the steam train. We told them it was an hour late so they reruned to the platform. After the convoy passed one shouted out "That was definitely worth waiting for!"

19. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Went to Dawlish yesterday and got this at 1.36pm from the rock.

20. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    The Swanage website have pictures of there locos being prepared last night including the M7 in her new livery. http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news529.htm

Also there are news reports today from Eastleigh. ITV's Meridian Tonight at 6:00 and BBC South East Today at 6:30 for the those in the south. Nothing on BBC. Maybe tomorrow, Sunday or Monday though