If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Midlands Airport shut by Spitfire undercarriage collapse

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by BillR, Jan 7, 2013.

1. big.stu

big.stu Well-Known Member

Software Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Indeed - quite common to see stuff over our village while waiting for their display slots. I actually enjoy going there on non-display days and just wandering about in the hangars - so much beautiful machinery to see.

Wansford is only 30/40 mins from here - would love to help, not sure if I can make it happen at moment - will be in touch if I can.

Bringing us almost back on topic, the last time I saw G-RRGN was in pieces in the ARC/HFC hangar at Duxford during it's recent rebuild. The Mk1a they had in there was superb - money no object restoration to as-built condition which involved things like commissioning a bespoke run of the correct tyres from Dunlop and a reproduction metal three bladed prop which would have paid for my house and still left change! If I was twenty years younger I'd be applying for their apprentice program - what a job! I believe they now have a contract for working on the BBMF Lancaster as well the Spits.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I'm about 6 miles from Shuttleworth, another centre of classic aviation excellence. The Spitfire Mk1a is of particular interest to me as it was rebuilt from the hulk of a 92 Squadron machine. Anyway, let's hope the RR Spitfire is airworthy again soon and that future pilots have studied the Pilots Notes in detail. :)

3. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Ah yes - went to a flying day there once, twenty years ago - been on the list of places I really should go back to, but hasn't happened yet (possibly because I'm spoilt by my proximity to Duxford).

Hadn't spotted the connection on the Mk1a - might be worth contacting John Romain at ARC/HFC once the loco is back and see whether they would be interested in doing something - they maintain and operate it for it's American owner (for whom I have considerable respect, not just for spending the money, but subsequently declaring it should stay at Duxford because that's where it belongs! John Romain said they had expected him to crate it to the US once finished). I presume you guys have already thought of approaching it's owner about the connection and maybe a 'contribution' to your rebuild?

No word on the RR damage assessment yet, but will post should I hear anything on the grapevine...but it will only be tittle tattle, of course :)

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    What we are planning is to arrange a meet of 92 Squadron the loco and a 92 Squadron aircraft. The Shuttleworth Collection has a 92 Squadron SE5A and they are very keen to see it posed alongside 34081. Since there's no way of getting the SE5A to land alongside the NVR, the idea is for 34081 to call in at the Shuttleworth Collection on one of her likely moves to/from a visit to another heritage line. Unload her on to a couple of track panels and Bob's your Uncle. If the Mk.1a could be arranged as well that would be magnificent. All this is in the future and subject to costs of course but would be a very interesting photo opportunity. We do have a tame Spitfire pilot amongst our members but sadly the one he is involved with has no 92 Squadron pedigree otherwise the planned fly by at 34081's rededication would be even more poignant than the one we had in 1998.

5. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Now that is something I would love to see. If you got the Bulleid and the SE5A to Duxford you could potentially have the full set - loco, aircraft from both world wars and airfield, all with a connection to the squadron (albeit brief in the case of the airfield).

I would imagine your tame Spitfire pilot might be your best bet to approach the guys at ARC/HFC about the Mk1a - I'm guessing most of the warbird pilots must at least know (of) each other...

Much as I would love to be better connected, I was just very lucky to be invited to tag along on a private tour at ARC/HFC by someone I know through a work colleague, who was inspecting progress on an aircraft restoration. The contacts I did have at Duxford have, unfortunately (for me), moved on to other things these days...

Stu

6. big.stu

Software Engineer