If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Lancs Locos

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Luke McMahon, Mar 12, 2016.

1. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think I have read the same as applying to the L&Y and the Highland - i.e. when a loco went into the works if the tender was fine, or outshopped more quickly, it was just paired with the next compatible loco out of the works, and so on. Whether there were actually fewer tenders I am not sure. Occasionally railways ordered locos without tenders as there were decent enough ones on withdrawn locos.

2. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Anyone know are the plans afoot for any of the merchant navies or who owns any of these? Not heard/seen any progress in years with any of them, also hiding in the works is 45212 from keighley which is rumoured to be going mainline at some point too.

3. BDY26

BDY26 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the MN frames has RSGLT sprayed on it, so one may have a place in the queue at Crewe. IR had them for sale at one point. Story I heard was there were enough bits for one good engine between the two but that may not be the case.

212 is coming together but with the current mainline situation query when it would go mainline or if it would be air braked, reportedly it was going to be vac only but air may become more desirable.

B

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    35009 (no tender) is owned by Ian Riley and was for sale a few years back (possibly still for sale)
    35022 (no tender) is owned by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust
    35027 is owned by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust

35022/27 have been at Riley's for many years now.
    35022 was to be a spares donor for 35027, but the RSL&GT did say a few years back that they would investigate restoration to working order, but I'm not sure how far that investigation ever got.
    35027 was to be restored with 35022's boiler, but the overhaul seems to have been put on the back burner for quite some time (I assume at the request of the RSL&GT). With the new Crewe works coming on stream, I would imagine that 35027 will eventually move there for overhaul once there is a workshop slot, but that is probably 3-5 years away judging by their workload.

Hope this helps

Keith

BDY26 likes this.
  5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Spoke to some guys from LNWR Crewe and they said that both MNs will move back to Crewe at some point. But Crewe is still a work in progress. They have to build a boiler shop at some point so the guys from the HC can move across. And with the shed full of Locos (nunney, royal Scot, braunton,bittern, blue Peter, Britannia, clan line. Plus all the coaches they are restoring) there isn't really much space for additional MNs I suppose. Once mainline steam is back and the locos get sent to Bristol and Southall im sure things will change

6. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Brief update from saturday:

Ian Riley's black 5 44871 is still with us for a short while yet, running on saturday (19th) with load 6 sounded rather tasty. Particularly stomping it's way up broadfield bank to heywood, also apparently 45407 is still about & supposedly at current missing the front pony truck wheels???

Chatting to 1 of the guys in the standard 4 shop, seems soon as 80097 is running again their temporarily letting another group user their shed for a while as apparently there's a group with an 0-6-0 of some sorts that needs the use of the gantry crane. Not a clue what it is mind, soon as that's cleared off work can finally start on 46428.

7. cjbarnes5294

cjbarnes5294 New Member

It must be a real treat for the staff to come into work and see a collection as magnificent as that every day, even if not all of them are in one piece.

Kind regards,
    Chris

8. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Reading the latest issue of the railway magazine lately & read something about big prairie 7229. Seems it's been gifted to the ELR now so at last work can get started on returning it to action again.

Things appear to be looking up at bury nowadays what with 46428 having been started on & standard 4 tank 80097 due out pretty soon & 9F 92134 coming back to life it's good news all round. Some bigger locos will certainly make a welcome addition to the fleet, I love the austerity tank, crab & 80080 as much as the next bloke but bigger locos do have a certain appeal.

9. Just for pedantry's sake, the wheel arrangement of a 72xx is 2-8-2T, not a 'Prairie' which is a 2-6-2T.

paullad1984 likes this.
  10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Making it into a prairie would make more sense than some of the GW new build and conversions underway.

11. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Disusedbranch - Apologies for that I knew it was a 2-8-2 but for some reason thought 7229 was a large prairie.

Anyway it's definitely good news, as it's been in the yard at bury at least 10yrs waiting developments.

12. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Out of interest, how many steam locomotives are owned by the ELR?

13. daveb

daveb Member

Agreed. Is this the only class of loco where none of the examples rescued from Barry have steamed yet?

14. Alan Vipond

Alan Vipond New Member

workshop manager
    from a recent tour i'm sure the following were mentioned

Hicks19862 likes this.
  15. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

I was under the impression that the ELR also owned a Jinty? Or have I got that confused with the example owned by Ian Riley?

16. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    12322's owner may disagree with you on that one!

17. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

The jinty is 47324, everything else IE 34092/80080/80097 & 92134 are all owned by private individuals or groups.