If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Lancs Locos

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Luke McMahon, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Morning Everyone, on sun last week (6th) I was at my local pres kine the east lancs at bury & got chatting to a member of the loco crew on 34092. He's got the following news:

2MT 46428 - People will probably have seen this, it's the red loco sat behind bury south box. Apparently having rebuild/overhaul started fairly soon once 80097 is in traffic. Perfect sized loco for the lancs as it should be able to handle load 6 without too much drama.

9F 92134 - This has recently arrived from the crewe heritage centre & is now a resident loco at elr. Supposedly the only single chimney 9f remaining??? Still in bits atm but being put back together slowly by it's owning group, should have boiler returned in about 5 months or so once steam tested. Also needs a tender to go with it as currently hasn't got 1.

7229 - Big 2-8-2 tank that's been at bury for donkeys years now but had nowt done so far, apparently still awaiting it's turn in the overhaul queue.

2. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Interesting to read that work might start on 46428, long overdue. You'll find some shots of it at Boat of Garten in the 70s on page 303/4 of the Picture puzzle.

46441 worked there for a while in the late 1990s and looked completely in keeping with the line. This from December 1999 at Irwell Vale with 6 Mk1s. 32ct99c218 46441 Irwell Vale  nn1299.JPG

3. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Yh it'll fit in nicely, also 92134 will be popular as a few loco crews seem to like 9fs.

4. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

In the good old days railways used to have fewer tenders than engines as tenders could be quite quickly overhauled and returned to service behind a newly-overhauled engine. So could something similar be done today? Could a spare standard tender be borrowed from another engine that is out of service? I guess this is a long-term restoration job so nothing urgernt is required, but thinking hypothetically...

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    IIRC several of the preserved Bulleid pacifics share tenders.
    Ray.

6. BDY26

BDY26 New Member

7229 has been moved into the works at Buckley Wells and boiler removed. I think it is being assessed, drawings being obtained etc. Heard there may be some spare tanks available.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

7. YoungRailwayMan

YoungRailwayMan Member

Unemployed
    Has Anyone got any recent pictures of 47324 and any of the Merchant Navies (35009,35022 & 35027).

And Is it possible to view any of the stored steam locos awaiting their turn in the works, eg. 46428,3855 and the Merchant's

If Anyone Can Help I'ld Be Grateful.

Many Thanks
    YRM.

8. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

46428 is visible by Bury South signal box .
    3855 and the three Merchant Navies are all in front of Buckley Wells shed and not viewable from public places.

9. YoungRailwayMan

YoungRailwayMan Member

Unemployed
    how could i go about trying to those 4 out of sight from public locos, is there anyway

10. BDY26

BDY26 New Member

The MNs are separated - you can see the frames, boilers and drivers but not locos in a sense! 3855 is in 1 piece outside the shed. It's not public access, so your best bet would be one of the photography sessions or I think the tour of the railway that is part of the footplate experience may still include the shed but check before booking.

Your best bet for 428 is the public car park off Belle Vue terrace.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Really? - any figures to substantiate this?

12. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Cracking news to hear 7229 has shifted into the works, hopefully this means the start of it's long recovery road??? These 3 mentioned in the thread will fit nicely:

7229 - Big gwr 2-8-2 tank will easy handle the grades on the line particularly heading for heywood. GWR stuff has proven popular as we've had a couple of guests over the years including 4936 "kinlet hall" drew joe bloggs in plus plenty of steam cranks.

46428 - Believe these would've worked the line in br steam days? Also possibly it could stay red as it is now for thomas events?

92134 - We had 92214 visit previously when riley's did the boiler retube & worked on a couple of 1940s war weekends. Honestly it stomped up to heywood with load 8 in tow & never b***dy even broke a sweat! Also the guy I chatted to last sun did comment he's always surprised how sumat as big as a 2-10-0 can fit into the headshunt at rawty as it looks smaller than it actually is IIRC when 92214 visited it was right on the blocks running round at rawty!

Plus think it was 2008? We had s160 no 5197 visit from churnet, quality machine is that & just unbelievably immensely loud too. It also earned a nickname of "the burger van" whilst at bury, this was due to the air brake pump on the smokebox not working hence it ran with a yellow pway genny strapped to the tender which seemed to raise a few eyebrows amongst the cranks.

13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Interesting term to use on a railway preservation forum where steam is the primary interest...not sure it will win you many friends!

Keith

dan.lank likes this.
  14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I believe the LNWR operated with fewer tenders than locos - because LNWR locos had cast cab number plates, but in early LMS days the tenders carried the loco number, it sometimes resulted in mismatched numbers on engine and tender.

Apart from the LNWR, I'm not sure how widespread the practice was. Certainly on the SR (and constituents), although tender swaps were far from unknown, my understanding is that there was generally a 1:1 correspondence between the number of tenders and the number of tender engines.

Possibly subject for a separate thread?

Tom

andrewshimmin likes this.
  15. BDY26

BDY26 New Member

The Ivatt 2s were certainly known at Bury and I think the shed had an allocation, my driver on Saturday was telling me about a DMU substitution turn he recalled with a 2. Cracking little engines and would be good for most trains bar the Santas I reckon. The red on 428 is just the boiler barrel not the cladding. All were black apart from some Swindon painted green.

The 2-8-2 should be good for a preserved line as it's more like their design speed, and a 72XX beats a standard 4 on coal and water capacity.

16. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Ghost: Apologies for that, sorry if i've offended anyone on here. Just a term used by a few fellow diesel bashers i've known donkeys years now, steam is a growing interest of mine, unlike some of the younger enthusiasts myself personally now being 30 i've always had a liking for steam & will continue to do so throughout future years.

Out of curiousity, will a single chimney 9F sound different to a double chimney version?

17. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    LNWR tenders also carried an individual tender number plate on the rear of the tank. I have an original plate and the tender record card shows that it was paired with 13 locos between 1922 and its withdrawal in 1957.

18. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    That's interesting regarding coal and water capacity- presumably they also have they also edge in (best Clarkson voice....)poweeeerrrrrr!

Was it the 7200s that had the nickname 'water carts' (or similar) or was it the 4200s?

Chris

19. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Trouble is I've only ever seen that said on the wikipedia article, and GWR locomotive articles on Wikipedia are highly unreliable. Might be true, might be invention. Some wikipedia people are keen on grabbing onto dodgy authors... The nickname was used elsewhere of course, notably for high capacity tenders on the LSWR. It seems odd to apply it to a loco that allegedly didn't carry much water, but that's not really something you'd say of the 7200, some of which carried 2,700 gallons.

20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

My understanding is that, in the case of the Drummond tenders on the LSWR, they got their name not because of high capacity, but because they leaked and were thus akin to the water carts that were used in towns to keep the dust down in the summer before roads were widely tarmacaddamed. So maybe the same derivation applied to the 4200 / 7200 tanks?

Tom