If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Lancashire Railway Winter Steam Gala 22/23 January 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by conireland, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

All,

Visited the gala on Sunday morning. First one I have been to since 2006 (well it is a long way!) and thought it was an excellent event with a great late BR atmosphere. Well done to all involved.

The parcels set looked fantastic and loved the chalked headcodes. That is the sort of thing that make gala visits worthwhile. And how loud is the Standard Five?!? Only thing I could fault is the fake Pullman but I am sure an extra Buffet was required for the gala.

in future what about the East Lancs doing a freight gala as per other lines? Could the parcel set and a mixed freight could do some shuttles to Ramsbottom during the day and not impact on passenger services?

Thanks all,

David

2. Spencer

Spencer Guest

I've now seen the ELR position explained by a post on the wnxx forum - it seems plain to me that the situation regarding photography on the ELR is quite clear. If you haven't the relevant authority, then you shouldn't be 'trackside', it also seems that the ELR are very concerned about attitudes like yours from the postings seen, unless of course you have the relevant authority?
    I don't see anything in the previous couple of posts about 'scapegoats' or 'personal attacks', it would appear that someone has struck a nerve here.

3. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Are lineside passes available on the ELR?

4. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't believe they are according to the WNXX thread.

5. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Extract of a posting by Andy Coward(Ex ELR GM) on wnxx

''the only people who are permitted to be trackside or on 'the wrong side of the fence' are operational members of the railway who have attended a Basic Safety Course and who hold a current Working Members ID card - no ID card, no right to be on the railway's land. The only exception to this would be an organised photo charter, when the crews and participants are both fully aware of each others movements.''

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Whilst acknowledging the statement by Andy Coward the continued toleration of lineside access by ELR staff / volunteers is leading to much confusion to which I seek not to add further; my final comment on this is that I look forward to David L and the ELR Board announcing its Lineside Policy - and following it through - so that all photographers will know where they (can) stand.

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    As a result of discussions on this forum I have been in touch with ELR officials this morning which has resulted in the clarification of some misunderstandings on my part that have accrued over the years. I have consequently unreservedly apologised for any problems arising from my actions to date and this has been accepted - as has my confirmation that any future lineside accesses will only be at photo charter events organised with the ELR's knowledge.

I now consider this matter to be closed and will make no further comment.

8. rhf19

rhf19 New Member

This has been posted today on other forums today on behalf of ELR General Manager:-

"I am becoming extremely concerned, given some of the comments brought to my attention on various forum, about the cavalier attitude of a number of contributors and the serious issue of lineside trespass on the ELR.

The plain and simple fact is that the ELR does not condone nor sanction access to operational parts of the railway by other than those staff or working members whose duties require them to be there. The railway is currently subject to very rigorous scrutiny by the regulator (ORR/HMRI) and our own Safety Management System does not provide for lineside access by other than railway officials. Put plain and simply, anyone on the operational railway who is not supposed to be there is trespassing!

Such is the extent of the problem now I shall be asking all of my operations colleagues to report every incidence where they encounter people on or about the track and within the bounds of the railway and we shall take the appropriate action against anyone, be they pedestrians, cyclists, photographers or whatever.

I am fully aware that this will provoke howls of objection and derision from certain quarters but these measures are designed to ensure that we continue to run a safe railway and in so doing ensure that we continue have a railway to run and a hobby to pursue in the future."

Andy Morris

General Manager

East Lancashire Light Railway Co Ltd

9. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So the 'man with his bucket' collecting cash is now redundant, or is the management going to issue lineside permits. It seems that the railway was happy to condone trackside access for many years as long as the bucket was full. As long as we did not go trackside in station areas, through tunnels etc, it was regarded as ok. Another case of a busybody poster ????????

10. andi

andi New Member

why would he be redundant?

11. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    The person with the bucket and the photographers at Burrs are not on ELR land and never have been.

12. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Erm, pardon me, but isn't trackside in the 'four foot' ELR land.

13. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I hope the ELR owns the land between the rails....

14. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

More a case of a railway journalist plugging his photos,so they came to the attention of the railway's finance director who questioned the number of lineside photos taken by a non working member.

15. andi

andi New Member

are you saying that because the railway is asking you not to Trespass that you wouldn't contribute to the railway? The railway that supplies a loco, stock and crews for you to take photos of something different?
    there are plenty of photo opportunities to be had without trespassing

16. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Where on earth does that assumption come from?

17. andi

andi New Member

Same place as the assumption that the man with the bucket was redundant!

18. gedj2

gedj2 New Member

Customer Service Advisor
    I've been reading this and associated posts on other forums with interest, being a fairly new ELRPS working member, (I started April 2010) I cannot make comment on what happened previously concerning Lineside access and trespassing issues, however I can give my opinion. Prior to joining the railway I was, (still am) a serving officer in the air cadet organisation and on an annual basis we held a training day at Castle Armoury TA centre, one of the classrooms we used overlooked Castlecroft diesel depot and I looked down in wonder as to what was going on, I wanted to see more, but instead of going down and climbing over any fences and sticking my nose in I decided to find out more by doing some research on the internet, this then led me to becoming a ELRPS member and then a working member and getting the relevant training, SMS, BASIC safety, being issued with the correct PPE, etc etc, all to make sure that I operate safely and stay safe. My point is, (and I know I've gone round the houses to get there) is that if people want to 'go lineside' they should pay their dues, become a working member and do the courses, not just trespass.

Ged