If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dorset Coast Express, July - August 2011

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Uk steam currently showing as TBA for return trip and RTC site has no update beyond 30777 and 70013 being the power for the last 2 trips for this year DH

2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I believe DofNZ has been cooling since last week allowing it to undergo a scheduled boiler washout at Swanage - so would appear to be out of the running for 'Thunderbird' duties on tomorrow's DCE.
    Suspect the loco's owner would not like his A4 being subjected to the risk of excessive stress/strain getting on/off road trailers. I'm sure I read somewhere that owners use road transport as something approaching "the last resort" in view of previous Cartazzi truck problems affecting other A4's.
    Early loco turning moves out of Swanage did indeed go to Yeovil Junction but, latterly, have used the Eastleigh depot loop as, I understand, it is more convenient operationally.
    Believe 4492 might depart Swanage for Eastleigh on 12th or 13th in readiness for it's next booked duty hauling The Bath Spa Express between Poole and Bristol TM on the 14th.

3. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    I am told 70013 will haul the return from Southampton via Andover tomorrow, but this is NOT confirmed and I don't have the return times.

I guess the times will probably be something like 26 July:
    www.uksteam.info/tours/t11/t0726a.htm

David

4. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Given the dull weather forecast for tomorrow's early afternoon, and purely because I haven't seen it running before, looks like it is going to be watch/photo 70013 come in and back the stock up into Jubilee sidings then home.

5. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

This, indeed, does seem to be the plan. Loco. 70013.

6. PCforT9

PCforT9 New Member

Retired accountant
    OC through West Byfleet approx. 7 mins down. 47 at rear.

7. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    No I do not currently volunteer
  8. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Saw 70013 at Woking this morning in horrible weather conditions (rain and strong westerly winds). Left a couple of minutes down.

Spoke to Dave Hewson (driver of Britannia on Sunday's double header between Waterloo and Taunton). He is on the diesel today and doesn't expect to being pushing anywhere on the way down, unless asked to do so of course. It was definitely NOT used to push the train out of Woking this morning.

Nick

9. DH34105

DH34105 Member

70013 with 47580 at the back and along for the ride - down top of parkstone bank at 1259 - much whistling for the track inspection team who picked a most convenient time to come along! DH

10. DH34105

DH34105 Member

47580 leading Oliver Cromwell back over top of Parkstone Bank at 1725 with return DCE - Cromwell just ambling gently along at the rear DH

11. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Spectacular steam effects this afternoon when the drain cocks were opened prior to Ollie moving down and taking water.

[​IMG]

12. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Technical point: The Cartazzi axleboxes are fixed in the frames, and do not form a truck.

13. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

70013 put on an awesome display through Surbiton tonight with much whistling a couple of minutes down. Shall upload the video tomorrow if I get round to it.

14. Mikem

Mikem Member

Continuing this thread into September I presume the 13th September trip will be 70013 outward and 70000 back.

Also 4492 on the move so so Eastleigh and Southampton could be busy with steam.

Mike M. ( 70c )

15. james1983

james1983 Member

I'm on the last run on Tuesday, and based on what's occured this week I can only assume 70000 as being the likely contender.

34067 - Carnforth
    4492 - Swanage???
    30777 - Loughborough
    35028 - Assume maintenance / I doubt this would occur.

The usual Black 5 brigade are all up tut north, (Black 5 brigade is a tongue and cheek comment based on there being so many on the mainline now!) I'm not complaining on this at all.

Would anyone on here be able to confirm what the engine will be on the return?

I'm not too worried, if its only Ollie as I've wanted a run behind her since seeing her on the mainline a few years back, so an extended run with her will be taken kindly.

16. Maxym

Maxym New Member

According to NR, 70013 in both directions (reversal at Salisbury, return via Andover).

17. Mikem

Mikem Member

Thanks for confirming that.

Best regards.

Mike M. ( 70c )

18. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Have been looking at various options, where locos are currently and what trains are due to be run there is going to have to be a fair bit of reallocation of motive power over next few weeks to cover for unavailable locos. Not sure where Britannia will go after the Pompey Pacific but WSR for a short stop over at least looks to be the most likely option given the time of arrival back at Taunton. That would leave her available in theory for the DCE but at moment not seen any info to suggest a move to Yeovil - my money at moment (sadly) is on a similar working to this week with Oliver Cromwell down with diesel top and tail, but we shall see !!

19. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Seems most likely - with the crew change (brief) stop at Wareham also being omitted as per the past few weeks.

20. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Referring back to the spirited run we had on the 30th August with 34067 I have just found this video of her racing through Winchfield:

[video=youtube;gzdYoKN90EI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdYoKN90EI[/video]

Bulleid magic!