If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Do you like double-heading at Galas

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 21B, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like to see double heading at steam galas?

1. Yes. The more the merrier!

14.1%
  2. Yes, but only one or two trains each gala day.

35.9%
  3. Yes, but only if the pairing is needed to give enough power to pull the train.

20.7%
  4. Yes, but not at every gala

8.7%
  5. No

20.7%
  1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I've seen a few comments about double-heading, and being involved in organising galas I'm really keen to understand what people think about the use of more than one engine on a train. Is it something you always like and want, or has it been overdone?

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Personally, no, as few as possible with a few exceptions. Authentic double headers I'm quite happy with if it looks ok and if it's needed, but pairing up locos because they're from the same class (for example rebuilt and original Bulleids) is just daft, especially on 5-6 coaches.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    If possible, yes, authentic double headers are always better, some do just look a little odd.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

4. dcuk

dcuk New Member

Turner
    I don't mind double headers as long as they are authentic and there is some point to them. I remember one particular railway who shall remain nameless put out a Duchess paired with a Manor and to make it worse they where chimney to chimney. It did an out and back trip like this so it wasn't even for operational reasons, just a waste of coal.

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Whilst unacceptable to many I find that, particularly when a Gala includes a pair of guest locomotives, one train with the guests paired is a nice opportunity to see them together especially if visiting time is short.

In addition sometimes the guest engine complements the home fleet and a once-common pairing can be recreated; recent examples include the B1 + Black 5 at the ELR; the Black 5 + WD at the KWVR Gala; the frequent pairing of industrial locomotives at Foxfield working up the bank and one can't ignore the classic pairing of 3440 + 9017 which occurred at both Llangollen (2009) and the SVR (2008) Gala events. Other heritage lines will obviously have "local" double-headers that they wish to recreate when the opportunity arises and the Galas are one such time when this can be achieved and enjoyed by a wider public.

6. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    I voted no, but on reflection I suppose if a sensible pairing of two medium size locos on a heavy train or a recreation of a piloting arrangement were suggested, then I wouldn't mind. No more double heading Pacifics please!

Re earlier post, definitely no tender to tender or chimney to chimney runs please!

[​IMG]

Paul42 and green five like this.
  7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I don't mind double-heading when smaller locos are used: 3440 & 9017 on the MHR was a good example as both loco's had to work hard pulling the 5 or 6 coach formation they had in tow. I don't like it much when very large loco's are used on short rakes: 92203 & 92212 once appeared at the head of a four coach formation! Looked ridiculous.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    These things did happen pre-1968 though. Maybe uncommon but not unknown. Nice silhouette by the way.

9. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

I actually had my head turned a bit on this topic last autumn. Previously I'd been thinking that anything that effectively meant the locos had less work to do and noise to make was a bad thing, but then I had a few double-headers that I really enjoyed. 3205 + 7827 at the South Devon last September was great (chased the first trip around for pics and rode on the after-dark one, looked and sounded good), Met 1 piloting the T9 up the Bodmin gradients in October was fun, I had some good double header runs at the (much criticised for double heading) Mid-Hants Autumn Gala, and the Tornado + Braunton + Britannia triple header on three support coaches was surprisingly fantastic to listen to as it pulled away from pathing stops on its way to the Mid-Hants last year. Spent the morning chasing it around by car that day and was pleasantly surprised.

My favourite double-header experience at a gala is also a weird one: D9531 + 50015 at the East Lancs Summer Diesel week in 1995. The Cl.14 was piloting as far as Ramsbottom to take up spare duties for the day, but for the first few miles was doing all the work and sounded excellent dragging Valiant and probably 7ish Mk1s around, then around Burrs I guess, the 50 burst into life too. Different, looked ridiculous (particularly as Valiant was in green undercoat) but I shamelessly enjoyed it.

Also though, chimney-to-chimney, PLEASE no... I know the noise is the same, but I want a decent picture for my memories too.

10. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Foxfield have to double head with the smaller locos at galas otherwise they just wouldn't get up Foxfield bank with 6 minerals and van. We do mix that up when we can with banking instead.

As regards the larger locos then it does seem a little pointless unless it's for operational reasons.

11. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    I'm all for double-heading as long as the combination is authentic and both locos are in matching livery. Double-headed Bulleids look great but only on at least 6 or more carriages, double-headed Terrier's on vintage wagons are another good combination and I'm really hoping to see 847 & 1638 together on the olive green carriages this year. Personally though some double-headers at galas just look plain daft such as Bittern & Britannia on the Mid-Hants a couple of year's ago and it does make you wonder why on earth the organisers put together such combinations.

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

In fairness it's part of the attraction of the line and on my last few visits have spent most of my time around the colliery and bank areas. Don't apologise for making a virtue out of necessity - it all adds to the line's popularity.

13. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Because the haulage fans love it no doubt.

14. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

There is also the possibility of re-enacting that rather common sight in the 1960's of a steam loco "double heading" a failed diesel on a service train...

Sorry, I'll be quiet now...

Steve B

Kje7812 likes this.
  15. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    Pretty unauthentic but the B12 and N2 paired, heading up Kelling Bank make a lovely noise and really seem to complement each other. A gala is a kind of all bets are off affair. Little branchlines get much more traffic and bigger locos than they would ever have seen when part of the national network and un-prototypical double heading is part of the fun.

16. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm up for one or two at a gala - ideally either plausible or completely daft, the middle ground doesn't really seem to please anyone. 37+S160+DMU at Churnet was a laugh, and why not? But not all day!

17. trainmad

trainmad New Member

When writing gala timetables, I tend to have most engines running solo, with the occasional double header. Just adds a little bit of variety.

Also, it's not always possible to get authentic combinations.
    It's highly unlikely that you'd ever have found Castle Donington 1 and Whitehead hauling 4 Mk1's, for example. When the combination of engine and train is just as inauthentic as putting two engines together, what's the problem?

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Depends on the circumstances, two Manors on a steep line with a CCE headboard is fine, a red 8F and lined 9F on 10 minerals wagons less so.

Even loco power isn't a good guide, is a standard 4 piloting a 9F so wrong if your going for an S&D look ?.

Foxfield can be forgiven as there's a genuine operational need.

19. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

If it's an S&D event, everything should be double headed, the Spamcans should catch fire and all services should stop for a blow-up or to attach horse boxes and milk tanks.

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  20. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Depends on the length of the train. Outside the summer season, not much was doubleheaded over the Mendips.