If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Disabled access at preserved railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by rough-shunter, Apr 25, 2007.

1. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    To add to the above the one specifically mentioned with wheelchair access is 2090 and link below

http://www.frheritage.org.uk/wiki/Carriage_2090

Regards
    Duncan

2. I've just undertaken a survey of websites of standard gauge heritage railways offering a train ride. This was an attempt to glean answers to a simple question:

Can you carry a wheelchair user on your normal services?

Railway Restrictions Comments
    Avon Valley no restrictions
    Battlefield Line maybe No information
    Bluebell no restrictions
    Bodmin & Wenford no restrictions
    Bo'ness maybe Not clear if wheelchairs on all (normal day) trains
    Cholsey & Wallingford no restrictions
    Churnet Valley maybe Limit on electric wheelchair weights
    Colne Valley maybe No information
    Dartmoor maybe No information
    Dartmouth no restrictions
    Dean Forest no restrictions
    East Kent no restrictions
    East Lancs maybe No clear information about wheelchairs on trains
    East Somerset maybe No information
    Ecclesbourne Valley maybe No information
    Embsay & Bolton Abbey no restrictions
    Gloucestershire Warwickshire no restrictions
    Great Central maybe No information
    Gwili no restrictions
    Isle of Wight no restrictions
    Keighley & Worth Valley no restrictions
    Kent & East Sussex no restrictions
    Lakeside & Haverthwaite no restrictions
    Lavender maybe Not on all trains but don't say which!
    Llangollen no restrictions
    Mid Hants no restrictions
    Mid Norfolk maybe No information
    Midland maybe No information
    Nene Valley maybe No information
    North Norfolk no restrictions
    North York Moors no restrictions
    Northampton & Lamport maybe No information
    Peak Rail no restrictions
    Severn Valley maybe Not clear if can travel on all trains
    Somerset & Dorset Heritage maybe No information
    South Devon restrictions statement Restriction on length, width and weight
    Spa Valley no restrictions
    Strathspey maybe No information
    Swanage no restrictions
    Swindon & Cricklade no restrictions
    Weardale no restrictions
    Wensleydale no restrictions
    West Somerset restrictions statement Restriction on length, width and weight

Surprisingly 17 heritage railway websites had no clear information at all.

The bad news is that currently it seems the West Somerset and the South Devon have definite, stated restrictions for wheelchair users.

On the other hand, 24 heritage railways seem to be able to accommodate any wheelchair user which is great news.

Comments from railways listed are welcomed.

Steve

3. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    WSW, what does none mean? It does not seem to answer the question asked. Is it, yes we can carry wheelchair users on trains?

4. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  5. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Bluebell Railway can carry wheelchair users on normal services in the guards carriage, or the specially converted Mk1 (5034) or LCDR 3360 when in operation.

Disabled Access

Regards,

Dan

6. Oh bother, it doesn't make sense does it. Doh. It's due to the way the table has reproduced - the "none" is meant to be under the heading "restrictions" so all those with "none" means "no restrictions for wheelchair users". Those with "maybe" means I couldn't get a clear answer from the website. Hope that makes sense.

I'll edit the original post!

Steve

7. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    The above list will also depend on the wheelchair user. I have a few elderly relatives. My late Granddad was wheelchair bound for the last 4 1/2 years of his life and would have needed the ability to board in a wheelchair had he travelled on a preserved railway. A number on the other hand may be able to walk a short distance to get from the wheelchair by a carriage door to a carriage seat with assistance but require the wheel chair for longer distances.

Of more importance, in my opinion, would be disabled access or step free access at stations where possible. It also makes it far easier for young families with pushchairs to travel as well.

Regards
    Duncan

8. Quite right about the type of wheelchair user, Duncan. We are in the "must stay in the wheelchair" category.

My initial thought with the survey was simply to see what information the railway had put online. To be honest, if I was looking for a day out on a railway, I'd probably not bother to check further if a railway had not bothered to put an access statement on their website. Hopefully some websites can be improved?

I appreciate sometimes this is not possible to provide step-free access at stations but then step-free access is pointless if travel is not possible.

Steve

9. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Whilst most railways can accomodate wheelchairs in their normal running sets what concerns me is not the wheel chair, but the motorised buggy type, these are wider and heavier than non powered wheel chairs, so surly that alone must mean that you have to concider how best to deal with these.

Recently, we had a problem with an elderly gentleman on one of these not being in full control of his buggy and nearly depositing himself and the chair off the platform and onto the track , so this creates another problem, how do we as an industry protect ourselves from people who are to put it bluntly a danger to themselves, do you know that there is no test you have to sit before driving one of these buggies? i have heard some people argue that motorised wheelchairs should be barred from platforms because of the size of them create a hazzard , i think this is a bit exstreame

10. D1039

D1039 Guest

I've highlighted to SVR webmaster to see what clarity can be added

Patrick

11. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

What an interesting thread. My brother-in-law is now in a wheelchair, and this sort of information is very useful when we're trying to plan trips to do different things with him.

I wonder if any of the railways that were mentioned above as having restrictions have now been able to upgrade? I'm sure that many folk would be interested.
    Mark

30854 likes this.