If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Disabled access at preserved railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by rough-shunter, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

I forgot about the A-Set....

2. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Lynton & Barnstaple Railway

At the L&B, all normal service trains have space available for customers with mobility impairments, currently including at least one wheelchair space. Wheelchair ramps are carried on all normal trains.

Although wheelchairs upto 30" wide can be carried, the narrowness of the current carriages means it is not possible to turn wheelchairs on the train. Travellers with larger chairs may contact the railway in advance to discuss suitable arrangements.

Woody Bay station has a level gravel car park with level access to the platform. Designated ‘Blue Badge’ parking bays are situated immediately outside the platform. Toilets (built 2009) are situated on the approach to the station, accessed by a gentle ramp. Baby changing facilities are also available. The shop and booking office are accessed from the rear garden and from the main platform. There is a 4” step from the main platform into the building, but staff are available to assist when required.

It would be interesting to hear from disabled visitors and their travelling companions who have used these facilities, to see how appropriate they are to their needs, and what improvements can be made.

3. chris.white

chris.white New Member

Talyllyn Railway

Special carriages on all regular service trains for wheelchairs. Access by ramp at Tywyn Wharf and Abergynolwyn where there are accessible toilet facilities and provision will be made for cars to access the station area which are normally closed to vehicles. The refreshment rooms at Tywyn and Abergynolwyn are accesible and so is The Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn. No access at Dolgoch, Nant Gwernol or other stations. Reduced fares available for all disabled not just those in wheelchairs.

4. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Do heritage railways (stations and Coaches) use the same standards for length of wheelchairs as Network Rail, I assume there are guidelines can someone tell me what these are please and what are the exceptions on heritage lines.

5. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
  6. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    At the Spa Valley Railway we have adapted a Mk 2 BSO for use as a wheel chair friendly vehicle, the wheelchair enters through the double brake van doors and turns 90 degrees to the left where the corridor has been specially widened so that the maximum of 3 wheelchairs can be accomodated in the main passenger saloon, so providing the wheelchair user with the same level of comfort and view as other fare paying passengers.

7. I reckon the wheelchair size limits* on the national railways and on the West Somerset Railway are insufficient for wheelchairs used by many folks whose wheelchair is their ONLY means of mobility. So these folks are denied travel. Can that be right? I'd be dismayed if other heritage railways adopted the WSR's new policy** :-(

(* length 1200mm, width 700mm, height 1350mm)
    (** http://www.wsr.org.uk/access.htm which has further links)
    Steve
    (WSW)

8. An update.

My most recent exchange with the WSR on this subject confirms there will be no review of the wheelchair dimensions, although it seems they will try to look at the "exceptions" issue (whatever that means). It is also clear there is no point in continuing the current exchange.

To me, it is the growth in use of motorised scooters especially the larger variety which is the problem. It is clear the Railway genuinely struggle to accommodate these machines on trains, on train ramps and on platforms. Despite many attempts I have failed to convince the WSR that the new policy excludes wheelchairs (and the smaller scooters) that were previously carried without any problem.

Following the briefest and gentle of criticism on wsr.org.uk I have received several emails from folks who are equally amazed at the new policy and how it now excludes a sizeable number of potential visitors. I gather messages have or will be sent to the press and TV.

I sincerely hope other heritage railways thinking of revising their policy on wheelchairs and scooters have the good sense to watch very carefully how the WSR situation evolves over the next few weeks.

Steve
    (WSW)

9. Sorry to those folks cheesed off with my preoccupation with restrictions to wheelchairs on UK trains, but I am sure all understand the need and right to mobility for everyone. To help my research and lobbying, I have created a poll at http://www.vizu.com/poll-results.html?n=201398 to see how many wheelchairs exceed the national standard and I would welcome input from as many wheelchair users as possible.

Thank you

Steve
    (WSW)

10. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    reading those links, I am a somewhat surprised, having said that, the one adapted carriage (electric lift toilet etc) the WSR had has to the best of my knowledge been sidelined forthe past two seasons awaiting maintenance.....

Also amazed that the website says that the staff will put the ramp in place but its' the users responsibilty to get onto the train! Given that most lines think they have to do this because they know better than those that live with the wheelchari user everyday for the past 23 years......

11. Further update. My family have applied for permission to use the WSR trains during the week between the two Gala weekends. We are obliged to provide full specification of the wheelchair and details of departure (but not arrival) station, times and dates. We don't yet know when we want to travel or from which stations - it depends on the weather. We want a day out just as we have done many times on the WSR, but now it's all got to be booked and approved in advance. And as far as we can tell nothing physical or legal has changed on the WSR, apart from a new policy. We hope we find out soon, one way or another.

Steve
    (WSW)

12. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Steve,
    Why don't you just 'turn up' and see what happens? It would be a good test of the policy to establish how the 'exceptions' are decided, because it is all very well to have a policy, provided the 'volunteers' who man the trains have the knowledge, experience and suitable diplomacy to handle the situation. (also, are all the 'not quite so public' policies upheld to the letter?) If a party of 'say' 8 people turn up with a wheechair bound person within that party are they going to refund £120 plus worth of fares just to prove the point? I think not, especially with the need to carry 230,000 passengers next year. Perhaps the Facebook should be 'I travelled the West Somerset Railway with/in a 'slightly larger than average sized wheelchair' in 2010'?

John

13. The policy says that "exceptions" are dealt with by a formal request made well in advance. We'll think about just turning up, but that'd prove nothing really. It needs a change of policy.

Steve
    (WSW)

14. Could I ask members for some help in collating a few images showing coaching stock on heritage railways which have been converted to a greater or lesser extent to carry passengers in wheelchairs? External and internal views would be ideal. No image will be published. The purpose of collecting these images is to inform a possible conversion programme on the West Somerset Railway. I am also googling for images but finding suitable images online is proving rather difficult. If NP members are out and about on their Railway and are able to take a few pics on camera or phone that would be really helpful. Add the images to a reply here if you like or email 'em to wsrpix at my gmail.com address.

Hoping you can help...

Steve

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    As a WSRA member it's a matter of regret to me that this issue is still ongoing. I can understand the railway expecting advance knowledge if a disabled persons society was going to have a visit to the railway, but the railway ought to be able to cope with a single disabled traveller at any time on most trains and perhaps advertise which trains will have the necessary facilities.

I think I'd just turn up. I would doubt very much - in fact I'd be amazed - if any of the railway's platform staff would do anything but be most helpful. I just don't see anybody being anything else.

Regards

16. Happily, there is a planned programme to make improvements, which is really good news. There is a need for pictures of the various solutions already made by other heritage railways to help inform decisions at Board level. I have been asked to gather suitable images for that purpose.

Steve

17. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Duplicated post

18. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news636.htm
    Don't know much about disabled access coaches, but that one has certainly proved popular among visitors.

19. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Although from a slightly unreliable source there is a picture of one of the WHR carriages with extra wide doors fitted (coach 2045 and two others). The official welsh highland railway website details further on the coaches spec although a little out of date.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_Highland_Railway_(Caernarfon)_rolling_stock

I also believe the planters were removed at Beddgelert to help improve access with ramps. The station itself can be accessed by wheelchair (as can most if not all of the others) although the path for Beddgelert is quite long due to the local topography.

Regards

Duncan