If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dinmore Manor

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Dinmore Manor Ltd., Oct 17, 2013.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think you should be able to see this but the tender for use with 7820 has now been resolved

https://www.facebook.com/DinmoreMan...7072999791864/274932159339280/?type=1&theater

2. The_Bristolian

The_Bristolian New Member

Excellent news, A Hawksworth 4 gallon tender will give her plenty of range. Will she be going out on the main line with that?

DeccerGW and Dinmore Manor Ltd. like this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Good to hear a tender has been found, I'd forgotten 7903's might be up for grabs. Does anyone know if this combination could have ever happened out of interest?

4. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

7903's tender is completely the wrong type plus the wrong colour!
    i can see a lorry wending it's way from Sheffield Park to the GWSR pretty soon - all that is needed is a new wooden floor to the front of the tender.
    cheers,
    julian

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be easier to hire 7822's tender whilst the loco undergoes extensive boiler repairs. You wouldn't have to alter the floor and it would give the Foxcote Manor guys some pennies towards their new throatplate. Ray.

6. ellisteph12

ellisteph12 New Member

Says on the photo that the tender is just for the steam testing to be done. Don't think it will be permanently attached.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. likes this.
  7. flying scotsman123

Yep, just whilst some last fettling is done on their black tender (that one isn't 7820's either, the whole reason for going black!)

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Does it really matter for just testing as opposed to being launched into traffic ?, I recall 3850 when fresh out of Tyseley had the BR Green 4000 Gallon Collett from 7029 for the same purpose, still entered traffic at the WSR with a normal one however.

9. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I know I've said it before ad nauseum, but bearing in mind GWR policy it doesn't really make a lot of sense to talk about any particular tender belonging to any particular locomotive does it...

10. daveb

daveb Member

I can't remember where I saw a photo of it, but didn't the SDR recently use one of its tank engines as a water carrier for 3803 when it came back to Buckfastleigh for repairs whilst leaving its tender at the Battlefield Line?

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Nor the wheels, motion, cylinders, names, chimney indeed anything goes on the jigsaw railway.

I recall someone saying once, there were enough stamped bits at Swindon stores/running around on other classes to build a genuine GW 2-4-2t 15 years after the last one was scrapped

jnc likes this.
  12. david1984

As opposed to the new designs for absolutely everything and be virtually bankrupt at nationalisation railway :)

13. Dinmore Manor Ltd.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. New Member

Just to answer a few of the questions/comments raised and keep everyone in the picture:

"Yep, just whilst some last fettling is done on their black tender (that one isn't 7820's either, the whole reason for going black!)"

We were never going to receive a black tender so not quite sure where this keeps cropping up from, the late decision to go black was a combination of many different factors but certainly not due to us being offered a black tender. The ex 3855 tender is not going to be used as per my comment in post #79, I shall re-iterate my thanks here to Andy Booth for endeavouring to complete his tender in time for us.

"Wouldn't it be easier to hire 7822's tender whilst the loco undergoes extensive boiler repairs. You wouldn't have to alter the floor and it would give the Foxcote Manor guys some pennies towards their new throatplate. Ray."

Many options for tender hire have been looked in to in recent weeks, including 7822, we are working with 7822 group & Llangollen by offering use of our throatplate form tooling so that she be up and running as soon as possible, therefore the tender wouldn't be available for as long a time frame as we may require it. The footplate wouldn't need altering but then neither does it on another tender that we may be using.

"7903's tender is completely the wrong type plus the wrong colour!
    i can see a lorry wending it's way from Sheffield Park to the GWSR pretty soon - all that is needed is a new wooden floor to the front of the tender.
    cheers,
    julian"

Our steam test has been booked in for the 7th of March for a couple of months, to be able to carry out the steam test all we need are coal & water, preferably delivered through standard GW connections, the 7903 tender, for which we are most grateful to 7903 Ltd for it's use, is able to provide that for us, another tender on site was non standard. The 'potential' hire of 9017's tender is at the draft contract stage, not sure where a new wooden floor, on a GW tender? comes from but other than a drawbar swap no other modifications would be required.

Fingers crossed for a successful steam test tomorrow, we are most grateful to all of those on the GWSR who have worked alongside our own volunteers since 7820 was delivered a couple of weeks ago to have her ready in time for the test.

As always, all the latest, and 'real' information can be found either on here, our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DinmoreManorLocomotiveLtd?ref=hl The 7820 specific blog at: http://7820dinmoremanor.blogspot.co.uk/ or once fully re-developed on our website: www.dinmoremanor.co.uk

Kind regards,

Mike Solloway,

DMLL

Kempenfelt 82e and David-Haggar like this.
  14. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Seems unlikely... Apart from anything else the 2-4-2s were inside cylinder slide valve (eventually) jobs and weren't fully to Churchward's standards. There's a story in AE Durrant's 'Swindon Apprentice' about working on a connecting rod stamped for a County Tank (4-4-2T), the last of which had been withdrawn ten years before he joined the GWR. Perhaps that's what you recall?

15. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    If you do borrow 9017's tender is there any chance we might see the loco on the Bluebell to haul trains as a return favour? Would love to see a Manor class visit our line and haul green Bulleid carriages as they did do this on the Redhill-Guildford-Reading trains in BR days.

16. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I would also like to see it at the Bluebell, but looking forward to the photo charter at the GWSR with it in April.

17. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    I've mentioned to Matt Allen a couple of times that a visit of a Manor to the MHR would give the opportunity to run a charter with green MK1's as I too have seen pictures of the Redhill line trains. His reply is unquotable on a family forum!

18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Would probably cause the HK signalman palpitations if we ran it on the same day as L150 :)

Tom

19. flying scotsman123

Perhaps we could paint our third or fourth rake of coaches green instead, would give P&O something suitable to pull as well when it's done too. we've already got two green coaches undergoing restoration, why change the livery!? :D

I do wish we could do this, but we won't for the same reason we have (almost) phased out B&C - too complicated having matching rakes when more than two liveries :(

20. david1984

It's bad enough you've taken in one immigrant before making it feel at home ;)