If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dinmore Manor

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Dinmore Manor Ltd., Oct 17, 2013.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Am I doomed if I say I actually prefer unlined black livery to lined black?

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm still undecided really, not sure if I really like it or just like it cos it's different, and will get bored of it is about a year's time...

3. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Name and numberplate backgrounds were only painted red between November 1949 and April 1952. The backgrounds reverted to black following numerous complaints from photographers. I guess the brass numbers and letters did not show up well against red on the film emulsions available at that time. But it is good to see on 7820.

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

7820 invite.JPG

5. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

7819 was the last black Manor in 1960. Apparently 7820 was the last Manor to work on the Cambrian in BR service. 7820 was the first of the 1950 build. 7828 was the first into BR lined green.
    A few (un)interesting Manor facts for you.

Paul

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

34007 has 3 so far, and could soon be 4...

It started in 2006 with the tender from 34039 Boscastle, moved on to 35027 Port Line and is currently with 35005 Canadian Pacific.
    The website states work is still on going with it's own new tender being built, if they finish in 2 years it could still complete it's ticket with it's own.

7. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Now there's a philosophical issue to ponder. Tornado was built neither by the LNER nor by BR. Nor is it a replica of a loco that was built by either of them. So one could argue that no LNER or BR livery is "authentic" for it. There are however several LNER and BR liveries that are reasonable for it, and the Trust is working through them.

gwalkeriow likes this.
  8. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

34007 has used 3 different tenders as far as I am aware…. one from port line, another from Boscastle, currently running with can pacs. I also did an internet search and found a link saying Wadebridge and Braunton have swopped tenders but I am not sure if that is correct??

Oh and Wadebridge has a frame for a brand new one in manufacture.

9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Why should you be? After all, if you want lined black, there's 7827 . If you want lined green, there's 7812 and 7828. When there are a good number of a class preserved, in working order and with a history of several different liveries, a bit of variety is no bad thing. Unlined black plus the GWSR's chocolate & cream set may not be the sort of combination you would have seen that often in the later 1950s, but it is not that absurd. Not everything wasa repainted as soon as a change of livery was decreed. There's a photo of a pannier tank dated 1963 in Dick Riley's "Great Western Album" which still had "GWR" on the tank sides!

jnc, Corbs and Hampshire Unit like this.
  10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think it looks nice enough, though lined black and red plates are what does it for me.

Bizarrely it's GWR livery as per 7808 I'm not keen on Manors in, as they were a bit mediocre until modified in BR days.

Corbs likes this.
  11. flying scotsman123

Hmm, just reading the 2807 blog they seem to think Dinmore manor won't be using their tender anymore, apparently approaching the bluebell for a dukedog tender. I thought there was going to be a photocharter with the mismatched livery, guess that's out now... Their blog here

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

They are using 3855's tender which is unlined black.

13. flying scotsman123

Yes but apparently the brake hangers are the wrong way round on that tender so won't be in use for a few weeks, hence the original plan for final steam tests and this oddball photocharter with 2807's tender, which seems to not be happening now...

Wasn't it martin/Sidmouth who was organising that photo charter - if you're reading this martin, and news? Or have I got that bit wrong?

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

To quote Martin ( Sidmouth) the organiser of the charter " Rumours circulating of pairing her with a GWR green tender are unfounded"

15. flying scotsman123

Ahh, ok, I thought she was still going to be having steam tests with 2807's tender, can't see why they are going to the bluebell for a tender for just a couple of weeks if it's just for steam tests, although they mention on their own blog that they want to be ready for the races possibly before their tender us fixed.

16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Tender matters are best left to the society to elaborate

however

There were two sold out days booked via another organiser which were cancelled. The main reason for the cancellation wasn't tender related although the possibility of using 2807's tender was noted and this was then circulated more widely via a third party, both on e-mail and via a facebook page. DMLL have refuted the statement made

I had a sold out day and then added a second now basically sold out day . Throughout the process I've been in contact with DMLL and the expectation is that (and barring anything unforeseen) 7820 will be paired with a BR Black tender. If you view the facebook page they are making tremendous progress and I and I know the participants are really looking forward to our days at the GWSR.

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

The "oddball" charter was never planned to use a green tender. Martin has posted elsewhere but the fact that a 2800 tender is not quite right for a Manor whatever the colur, plus other issues which I'm not at liberty to divulge, prompted the organisers to pull the plug.

18. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Livery apart a 28xx tender and a Manor one, as usually fitted, are identical Churchward 3500g tenders which were frequently swapped between these & other classes in GW/BR days. The only item which might need adjusting was the easily altered footplate height.
    In 2014 the ability to swap without trouble does assume that the tenders as they are now have remained as designed.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. likes this.
  19. Dinmore Manor Ltd.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. New Member

Quite correct '1472' no idea where the perception comes from that a tender behind a 28XX is wrong for a 78XX but there we go....!

We are somewhat disappointed that 2807's Blog writer has divulged details of one party we are in discussions with regarding potential tender hire. The tender ex 3855 unfortunately is not ready in time for us to be able to pair up with 7820 to meet our forthcoming commitments, including Martin's photo charters. We wish to thank Andy Booth for pushing to try and get it finished in time for us, as with all things in preservation things take longer than envisaged, 7820's overhaul has been no exception...!

Regards,

Mike Solloway

DMLL

20. flying scotsman123

Sorry for dragging that info here as well Mike, I didn't know it was supposed to be confidential (although thinking about it, these things often are).

Can't wait to see her chuffing up and down the railway, regardless of what's holding the coal!