If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dinmore Manor

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Dinmore Manor Ltd., Oct 17, 2013.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice, I do like the colour scheme plans, black looks fantastic, but I imagine after a year it will become a bit boring, so glad it will be in green too. No plans for a gw livery? ( or was it built too late, can't remember now...)

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Built in 1950 I believe so too late for GWR.

3. flying scotsman123

Pity, still, it hasn't/wouldn't stop some people...

4. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Almost. I'm told by people who know about such things that she'll be paired with the tender off of 2807 until her own tender is ready. This apparently is of a different style and not accurate for the loco. It's all gobbledygook to me though as GW tenders are not my forte.

5. Spamcan81

Training moles

There have been a number of post 1948 built locos running in pre 1948 colours in preservation so it's not as though it hasn't been done before.

6. flying scotsman123

I thought they were only borrowing 2807's tender for steam tests, as the whole reason for going black is they are using a black tender until theirs is ready. Last time I looked, 2807's tender wasn't black :)

michaelh likes this.
  7. flying scotsman123

Out of interest, has there been any complaints about this sort of thing from the preservation community? It's not as if it's a brilliant standard!

8. Spamcan81

Training moles

I'm only going by what a couple of charter organisers said. They have cancelled their events because of the tender issue. As I said, GW tenders are not my forte so wouldn't know if they're right or wrong.

9. Spamcan81

Training moles

Livery is a funny thing. I know some people who have pilloried the GC and owners of 8624 over its red livery as "it's not accurate and misleads the public," yet happily took photographs of the Manor on named Mark Ones in spite of the latter being no more authentic than a red 8F. Their explanation was "I can correct it in Photoshop." Others take a broader outlook and are happy just to see the locos and rolling stock running. I suspect it's the same with locos built after 1948 carrying pre 1948 liveries. There will be those who like it and those who don't.

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

There is unfortunately some rubbish being peddled by one organiser with no involvement in the charters regarding the reasons why.

As a result of correspondence forwarded to them the DMLL made a statement last night on their facebook page

I have two days with 7820 at the GWSR , one sold out and a second day just released. I am in regular contact with both the loco owners and the GWSR and barring anything unforeseen (and subject to all the usual caveats) we hope to have a fully unlined black Manor for the charters. If you would like details of the second day please get in touch and I will send you on all the details but please hurry up as it is filling quickly

11. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

According to E.R. Mountford, the wartime "paint it black" era lasted until November 1956, after which green (with lining out on some classes) was resumed for passenger engines. The red background for cabside numberplates (and nameplates?) started in November 1949 and ceased on April 1952 but obviously such paint did not vanish from the plates overnight!

12. Sidmouth

According to Peto's register

Loco's were turned out in lined black until 1953 , from then on they were outshopped in unlined black . Next change was from 1956 loco's were outshopped in lined Green. The last unlined black one went green in 1960 (apologies can't recall which one )

What it does highlight is a lined black manor on Chocolate and cream Mk1's which were introduced in 1956 for named express trains ,was very unlikely to have happened , apart from more recent times with Steam on the Cambrian and 7819 Hinton Manor in 1985-1987

13. Spamcan81

Training moles
    What was written in a book and what happened in real life isn't always the same. This bickering is getting all rather silly. I didn't do the event as it didn't appeal but it appealed to enough photographers to make it a success. If we're going to start scoring points regarding authenticity then there has been a lot of charters in the past that have fallen short of the mark. I proudly announced an M&GN event with a renumbered 44422 only to be told on the day that that the loco I'd chosen was right hand drive whilst 44422 was left hand drive. Did anyone complain? Not one, not even the one who pointed out my mistake. They were happy to have a day taking photographs of train in gorgeous light. I can think of a B1 + B12 event with the locos carrying liveries that were never seen together outside preservation and one carrying 1930s livery on BR stock. It was a sell out. If the photographers are happy and it's raising money for the preservation movement, does it really matter?

jnc likes this.
  14. Sidmouth

Ian

you are right , in that it doesn't always matter , but equally we should be honest enough to acknowledge History . I well recall the example with the 4F at the NNR , but fair play hands went up at the time and everyone went home both happy and wiser to railway history and as organisers we are often attempting to recreate something from the past as best as we can with the resources preservation puts at our disposal

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Agreed Martin but sometimes charters are done for fun and "authenticity" plays second fiddle. Then of course there's the chance to do a charter where authenticity is difficult or impossible to achieve and the rarity of the occasion takes precedence. What pleases photographers does surprise me at times. You can go to great lengths to get things "right" and then they ask to do a location that is completely out of keeping with what you're trying to achieve. At the end of the day we can only do our best under the prevailing circumstances.

16. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    7820 is to run this year with the tender which has been restored at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway to eventually run with 3855. I hadn't heard about borrowing the one from 2807, but that would make sense for testing purposes if 3855's tender isn't quite ready yet.

The tender which 7820 used during its previous ticket is currently running behind 3850 at the WSR. I think that the one being restored for use with 7820 this time around came from Barry with 3850, but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

17. daveb

daveb Member

And, of course, Tornado, built in the 21st century, has run in various 1950's and 60's British Railways liveries, none of which are authentic for the loco either.

18. flying scotsman123

Sounds about right to me, I didn't know where the other tenders were coming from, but I was fairly sure about 2807 and the colours of the tenders planned. To be used. I wonder what is the largest amount of different tenders used behind aa loco in preservation, as 7820 will have been hooked up to 3 by next year!

19. daveb

daveb Member

Actually 4! At the beginning of the last ticket, its tender (that's the one now with 3850) wasn't ready so one was hired from the SDR for a couple of years. I'm not 100% sure, but this may be the one now running behind 3803...

Dave

20. flying scotsman123

I was thinking more in terms of a single boiler ticket, makes it easier to compare, as all this tender business is very confusing! Can.anyone think of any locos hooked up to more than 3 different tenders in one ticket?