If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Diesels at Cardiff

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by acorb, May 22, 2009.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Arriving at Cardiff from Swansea on Wednesday I noticed two items of classic traction on the depot. The first one was 50031 'Hood' looking somewhat sorry for itself and the other appeared to be a class 26 or 27 (I only saw it briefly). Can anyone shed any more light on the pair and what the future holds for them? I know 50031 suffered a failure a while back when working Arriva services but I was surprised to see it still outside and in such a poor external condition.

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

it's a 26 and it was for sale - there was advert on wnxx which I was going to link to; but the advert has now gone.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

26038.. I heard it's asking was circa £100k and it's yours, NR certified.

4. basher

basher Member

Musician
    As far as I know, the 26 is not NR certified - it has major issues with the bogies. The plan however is to restore it to NR condition. It currently is owned by Tom Clift (ex MD of Valley Lines, current high up-bod with Wrexham & Shropshire, expert on the Central Wales Line, SVR member), who has it up for sale.

It used to live at Cathays C&W depot, at the auspices of Pullman Rail Ltd (specializing in bogies), alongside 56097 (Cathays was its original maintence base). When the company moved a few years ago to the old loco shed at Canton, the 26 went with it (097 subsequently moved to the GCR (N), where it has recently entered traffic...at the end of a top quality overhaul by Mark and the others). The original Taff Vale building at Cathays is now no more, with only the shell visible - a crying shame.

50031 arrived at Canton last Friday (in fact, around seven days and four hours ago, at the time of posting!), on the back of an ECS for the 'Cambrian Mountaineer' tour. The stock was formed of 37706, the stock, and D444 and 50031 at the rear - the stock ran onto Canton, where 031 was detached, before the stock continued to be BTM (to be stabled in the centreroad). The tour ecs was used as a positioning move, to get 031 to Canton where it is in for some works - quite what these are I do not know I am afraid.

5. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    thats a little ambiguous....is the plan to restore the 26 to a high standard OR to sell it?

6. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I believe it was to restore it but now it is now for sale as seen. unless already sold.

7. D1074

D1074 Member

The latest I heard, only this week, was that the 26 is no longer for sale.

8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Thanks for all this guys, very interesting. Hope both locos have a positive future.

9. Flange bandit!

Flange bandit! New Member

retired
    Is scrapping them not an option. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

10. 76079

76079 Member

The 26 was reportedly withdrawn from sale because the owner had a change of heart.

50031 has gone to Canton for the completion of its repair work. The Engine and repaired generator were refitted into the loco a couple of months ago at LNWR Crewe at the same time as 50008 has its engine/generator refitted. (50008 is now at the nene valley and is something like operational being prepared for the mainline under Hanson traction)

50049 has moved to Carlisle Kingmoor DRS depot for wheelset/bogie attention.

11. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Naughty naughty...

12. Flange bandit!

retired
    Im a very naughty boy. =D>

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Considering your most active topic is the recycle bin, that may very well be true.

14. Flange bandit!

retired
    Im proud of that fact, would that be my Why Diesels are rubbish thread???

15. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor

Not true according to board statistics. It is actually steam, steel and stars. Bit of a Wilcock there?

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not true according to board statistics. It is actually steam, steel and stars. Bit of a Wilcock there?[/quote:ss3tmc4o]
    Nope,
    thats where they may have been posted to originally but 70 of them ended in the trash.
    I raised it in the mod forum and I am informed flange bandits contributions to Llangollen are well recognised even if the posts in here are less so.

Anyway back to topic..

17. Flange bandit!

retired
    Well what can i say, im the first to admit i dont know an awfull lot about the history of railways, I know a little but a little knowledge is sometimes dangerous. I do however part own two 15 inch gauge engines and iv been driving steam for the past ten years. I worked most of the SSS11 gala as i believe in the cause.I find on here a lot of internet warriors and i just cant resist winding them up, its good sport to be fair. \:D/

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Fair enough but if everyone just resorted to electronically shouting insults about other peoples preferred traction, then the forum would degenerate from its present tolerable animosity to a new level of childishness, and become completely pointless. Look at 'LN850's comments on the High Speed Steam thread to see what I mean.

19. Flange bandit!

retired
    Cant say i have read that mate, il go have a look.