If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Devonian Express' - Wednesday 12/08/20

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by JBTEvans, Aug 2, 2020.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Confirm running 70000.

Hemerdon 29.5, Dainton 27.5, Whiteball 69.8.
    Lovely spell of running since Exeter.

steamvideosnet likes this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, your time to Dawlish Warren should have brought you into EXD in 62 min. Still pretty good.

3. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    It reverted back to 70000 Britannia before the Welsh Borders Express last week.

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

In the past I've taken a dim view of the introductory shots in some of your videos, but I liked them in this one.

5. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Great day out.. 6 shots and not a drop of rain after an awful forecast!!

6. acorb

Yes, very lucky with weather, my part of mid Wales got hit very badly yesterday, with several properties flooded - it was a tricky drive back from Severn Tunnel jnc last night.

The day itself was brilliant, Saphos exceptional, with not only first class stock, but full first class treatment - unlimited tea / coffee, biscuits, water etc.

Unfortunately coach H (Penyghent) suffered a failure affecting lights and air con - this couldn't be resolved, on a day like yesterday this wasn't good at all. Some of us lucky ones could be accommodated elsewhere on the train, but some poor souls perhaps didn't have a such good experience, despite efforts to mitigate.

The locos performed admirably all day, but weren't in fairness stretched by the load, which included the diesel (which never went above idle). Some of the rapid accelerations were good fun though!

Saphos were excellently organised, staff brilliant, the whole operation felt very safe and for someone used to being cramped at a table for 4 in std class, also spacious! A good feeling in current times!

If this is my only steam trip for the rest of the year, it was a good one.

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, they are good at customer service; a rare thing in Britain!

jackshepherd likes this.
  8. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Glad to hear you had a good day, but it would take more than a few screens to get me on a train with a mask, let alone without. A failed MK2 just intensifies my view.
    I think of the old joke, why did a B747 have 4 engines, because Boeing could find nowhere to put the 5th. Likewise 1 metre social distancing is only because 4 metres (the WHO distance for droplets to travel) means economic disaster to all.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And I know that as a singleton there is no immediate future for me with Saphos as obviously they have to maximise their capacity and at least two at a table for 4 is far better for them.

Failed air con!! It happens but what a nightmare and in a sealed tube under the current circumstances that almost sounds like a medical experiment.

banana patch and 26D_M like this.
  10. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    In those few words you’ve described why I wouldn’t be travelling on ‘my’ railway right now (if they were running).

26D_M likes this.
  11. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

My footage of Royal Scot and Britannia tackling the South Devon Banks during yesterday's sweltering heatwave. I filmed them both at Keynsham, Nynehead, Tigley, Hemerdon and Cogload Junction. Enjoy.

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Aircons cost a lot of money now to keep the old equipment in good working order, one reason why WCR don't use them if at all possible.

13. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    And old it is too, I assume you aint flying any more?

14. Will RL

Will RL Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    My addition to the gallery of no exhaust steam over the Devon banks!

Hemerdon, Mick45305, 46203 and 2 others like this.
  15. acorb

In fairness I am not sure I would have wanted to be in a mk1 either yesterday, they are only as 'cool' as outside and warm up rapidly when stood still. The working mk2 with air con was actually a very nice place to be yesterday, the timing of the failure could not have been worse though.

16. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

It was warm in the Mk1s in the late morning/early afternoon. On the way back it wasn't too bad. I was lucky though as I was at the end of the coach and had the draught coming through from a open droplight.

17. JBTEvans

Had an excellent day yesterday aboard only my third railtour, but first in Premier Dining and with my first Saphos train.

With covid and not being able to do much this year so far, saving a bit of money, and with social distancing allowing my party of 3 to have a table of 4 to ourselves with the 2 seats across the way empty, it was too good an opportunity to turn down, especially with the train being double headed for the same cost as single header, and the fact we could get on at our local station - Newport.

Got real lucky with the weather, if a bit hot at times, but I'll take that over the rain that was sadly about for the two trips to Carmarthen and Shrewsbury over the last two weeks.

I was really impressed with everything, condition of the carriage, the staff and the food. Sat in carriage B at the last set of tables near carriage A meaning we were the second coach the whole trip with the train turning at Plymouth.

The food was fantastic, I have never tasted such rich and flavoursome pork before yesterday. A 6 course dinner, each course was fantastic. It is a plus of Saphos that they publish their menus for trips in advance, something I can't understand why other operators do not do the same as expecting people to fork out £250+ each to take a gamble on if they like the food seems naughty to me.

We were lucky in being the carriage next to the kitchen too it seems, as these carriages get served first before those further out, this meant we had all our courses on the move. I felt sorry for those in carriage A as they had their dessert sat in Taunton with people milling about near the locos (no support coach as it had a flat) - no doubt looking in at them eating!

Some delays, such as the stock not being in the platform at Plymouth by the scheduled departure time, did not detract from the day.

I thought this would be a one-off for my party and I, but we are already planning on booking a trip next year!

Seriously recommend Premier dining to anybody, especially with Saphos. I think it is something all enthusiasts should do at least once.

Thank you to all the crews, I had a fantastic day!!

IMG_5897.JPG IMG_5906.JPG IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5909.JPG IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5943.JPG IMG_5958.JPG IMG_5961 2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  18. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I understand that the charter was fully booked yesterday with 170 passengers. A far cry from pre Covid days.

Info from a member of staff. <BJ>

JBTEvans likes this.
  19. Absolutely agree about the Saphos dining experience. We've tried 'em all over the years and this lot wins by a furlong. They just need some proper Pullmans to rival Belmond.

Here's hoping for further opportunities to board Saphos Trains in Taunton next year.

No rain on the Carmarthen tour by the way. Only dampener that day was NR's complete failure to maintain lineside vegetation growth West of Swansea.

20. JBTEvans

Okay maybe not rain, but it was certainly gloomy when I was at Ferryside for it!

Barrie the Beer likes this.