If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Demise of NRM+

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by guard_jamie, Apr 28, 2011.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest Steam Railway magazine notes that, due to a lack of funding caused by the current economic climate, the NRM+ plans are cancelled/scrapped/put on hold in the short to medium term.

Assuming that this is indeed the case, I think that this is a great shame. The NRM is for everyone, enthusiast and joe public alike, and NRM+ would have told the story of the railways from a social, economical and political aspect very well, from what I could have gathered (although I did feel that too much space in the great hall was being left empty). This is the real story of the railways, the technology (which we as enthusiasts are so interested in), being simply a facilitator for the railways development in this country and the developments that they directly and indirectly caused.

The current NRM displays a very technologically orientated history, very whiggish in character with a 'this was invented then this was then this was then this was' story, and even that is iffy. Most artefacts in the museum, especially the locomotives around the turntable, are displayed on their own merit and do not fit into an overarching theme. Whilst this appeals to us, the enthusiasts, who automatically know the back story of the Lanky 2-4-2T, the current mode of display could do so much more for your average visitor.

Also let's bear in mind that the planned revamp would have enabled many more locomotives and items of rolling stock to go on display elsewhere. We have seen a start made on this with the move of 925 Cheltenham and the plans for 2500, the 2-6-4T. As someone who lives one heck of a (cross-country) journey from York, I heartily support this move which I hope is allowed to carry on regardless.

I may have utterly misinterpreted the plans, and the prevalent attitudes of people, so my apologies if I have, but all in all I think this a great shame.

Discuss!

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I believe I am correct in saying that the demise of the area's Regional Development Agency has a lot to do with the decision to scrap NRM+.

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Indded, as pointed out on a thread over at wnxx there was a lot more to NRM+ than reorganising the Great Hall. Unfortunately it seems like visitor figures have suffered badly at the NRM if i remember news reports correctly, so hopefully at least some elements of it can still go ahead in the coming years...

Chris

4. Coboman

Coboman Member

I cannot see them improving much in the short term due to the massive increase in fuel costs and the fact that people in general have less mahoney in their pockets. I wonder how the likes of Alton Towers will fair this year.....