If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dalesman 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Apr 25, 2018.

1. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That run through Ais Gill with the 8F was spectacular ! Video to follow tomorrow !

2. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

3. iancawthorne

RTT showed it 26 early at Blea Moor, then 1 early at Settle Junction. Where was it held and why?

4. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Dalesman 1b (3).jpg

A lovely sunny day on the S+C sees 48151 hauling 'The Dalesman' on the approach to Ribblehead, David Blair driving and Bob Bullock firing

Dalesman 2b (3).jpg

Working away from Ribblehead Viaduct 48151 approaches the station with the return leg of the 'Dalesman' Mick Kelly driving and Mike Middleton firing

5. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

It was held at Settle Junction as a freight in the loop at Hellifield was about to leave then there were up and down Morecambe trains to deal with.

Peter

6. iancawthorne

Thanks Peter.

7. 61994

61994 Member

1020 Shireman, 46223 and iancawthorne like this.
  8. Landshrew

Landshrew New Member

Guard with SWR
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    48151 climbing away from Dent towards Rise Hill Tunnel

Attached Files:

9. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Approaching Aisgill summit............

48151 Aisgill.jpg

10. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Great shot Steve

11. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Thanks a lot Steve.

12. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Dalesman (Eastern Route) 22 May 2018 – 48151 hauling 9+POB

In a bid to grab a ride behind BIL, I made a late booking and crossed the border into Yorkshire to join the eastern version of the Dalesman at Skipton. The train, topped by a 37 and tailed by a 47/57?, arrived a couple of minutes late. I took my (window) seat in coach F, leaving alongside the only spare seat in the carriage only to be joined a couple of minutes later by a POTD customer, @andalfi1 (This is the 4th or 5th time we have been seated together; by chance – so they say!) It was good to have a knowledgeable travelling companion.

We were soon drawing into Hellifield, a glance down the Blackburn line – nothing “hiding” there. As we stopped in the DGL a support coach could be seen through the gaps in the station building, waiting in the UGL, then a black tender and then a black loco with lots of small driving wheels – the 8F had followed me again. A Carlisle bound unit left at 11.48 after which the diesels were detached and 48151 and support ran through the platform line and backed on to the front of the train. We were not ready for our scheduled departure time (11:58). At 12:14, on what was to remain a beautiful sunny day, David Blair, assisted by Bob Bullock, had us under way (16L). Unlike last week, the Carlisle unit should be well out of the way.

Up to 41 by Long Preston and speed continued to rise as we passed Settle Jn SB (15L). The 1/100r began to erode the speed, Settle (45) and half a minute gained on the schedule – this was not to continue. We were down to 28 as we entered Stainforth Tunnel, speed fell further 26 at Sherif Brow, with a dip to 25 just beyond – the extra coach appeared to be telling. As often seems to be the case with locos starting “cold” from Hellifield it seems to take a few miles to warm to the task and from this point on the exhaust noise increased (8 coaches back) and the loco’s performance improved. We were back up to 27 at Helwith Bridge (17½L) and reached 34 on the level section beyond. We held 30 through Horton in R, but now 19L, back down to 27 past Selside, falling again to 26 before rallying to 29 at Ribblehead (21L). No easing for the viaduct was necessary. We passed Blea Moor SB 19½L (a loss of almost 4 minutes against the 29 minute allowance) and into the tunnel at 27.

With the help of gravity we left the tunnel at 50. The views around to Dent and then on towards Garsdale were spectacular. We were still 18L as we sailed through Garsdale at 52. (Shortly after leaving Hellifield, it had been announced that we would not be stopping at Appleby for water as the tanker driver had refused to drive the tanker to the station because of the Appleby Horse Fair. As the Fair is not scheduled to start until the 7th June – what was all that about?! However, running without a water stop would more than eradicate our time deficit, but would do nothing for ice cream sales – on a warm day I was looking forward to a tub and Mrs W had given me the money). Some brisk running meant we passed through Appleby far too fast for even a snatched ice cream but immediately our 15½L became 4½E. We continued north, running 4/5/6E. The usual generous allowance saw us 14½E at Petteril Bridge Jn where we were held and allowed away 8E, only to be stopped again at London Rd Jn (7E). Now we had to wait to allow 60103 heading the southbound Cathedrals Express to pass. A few minutes later Flying Scotsman steamed serenely by. It is not very often that two steam hauled specials cross, albeit that one was stationary. It was a little disappointing that there was not much, if any, whistling from the locos. 1E we eased into platform 3 at Carlisle, vacated only 8 or 9 minutes earlier by FS.

Andy and I strolled (hobbled?) down the platform to see the loco head north out of the station and then we wandered off to the Woodrow Wilson for lunch. Food consumed, I had an errand in the city centre whilst Andy had an appointment with a pint of Brains in the beer garden. When in the centre I came across a shop selling English Lakes ice cream, I enjoyed a small cone and had some change.

When I returned to the station 48151 was already at the head of the stock in A road with David Blair and Mick Middleton on the footplate. After a few minutes the train drew south and reversed into platform 3. At this point Mick Kelly took over as driver.

Now in the 4th coach, we left just a few seconds late and were 3E as we passed Petteril Bridge Jn. There was the usual steady start, 26 as we crossed under the M6 (2 miles out). Speed increased to 31 up the 1/132r to Cumwhinton and the short level beyond saw us up to 40 at Howe & Co (2E). We remained 2E for most of first part of the section to Appleby. We passed through Armathwaite at 48, down the short dip and then the 3 tunnels on the 1/220r, we shot into the first, Armathwaite at 53 and left the third, Baron Wood No 1 at 47 with a minimum of 45 at the top of the 1/132r beyond. We flew through Lazonby and held 51 as we climbed through Little Salkeld and were still doing 45 at Langwathby. 48151 was being worked hard, the noise was wonderful and particles of cinder were coming in through the open toplight (there was much less than last week but it was larger grains).We were gaining on schedule; 3E at Langwathby became 4E at Culgaith and 5E as we passed Kirkby Thore at 53, 6E at Long Marton, then a terrific assault on the 1/120r before Appleby.

We shot through Appleby station at 51 (8E which became 18E courtesy of the 10 minute watering allowance). We were 22E at Ormside and hammered up the first section of 1/100r, into Helm Tunnel at 48 and still doing 43 at Crosby Garrett where the gradient eases for less than a mile. Then we were back onto the 1/100r and we crossed Smardale Viaduct at 49 but the gradient began to bite and speed fell to 37 through Kirkby Stephen but recovered to 39 on the short stretch of easier gradient (1/264r). We remained over 22E. Next, Birkett Tunnel in at 36 and out at 34, the 1/100r was hurting, but as the gradient eases to 1/330r, we passed Mallerstang at 40 and reached 44 to take with us onto the final 3 miles to Ais Gill. The two Micks had 48151 working hard to hold the speed against the gradient, most of the climb was around 41 and we just held 40 as we passed under the road bridge but this fell back to 39 on the final part of the climb with 41 at the summit board (23E).

It was still a lovely sunny evening and now was the time to enjoy the scenery. We were 25E at Blea Moor SB and plenty of time for a slow trundle across Batty Moss. We remained 23/25E down the bank and were too early approaching Settle Jn and were held to allow a freight to clear Hellifield UGL and for up and down trains to pass on the Carnforth line. We passed Settle Jn 1E and eventually stopped in Hellifield loop 3L, where 48151 immediately took water.

48151 and support were detached and, after the usual running round, 48151 with coach in tow left tender first for Carnforth. Top and tail diesels were attached and a couple of minutes early we left and were still early into Skipton. I had a ten minute walk back to the car and then a drive home, back at 20.50. Andy was leaving the train at Keighley and had only the short trip home to Haworth (how late do the branch line trains run?). For me, home to home, the Eastern Dalesman takes 2½ hours less than its Western counterpart.

Well I didn’t catch up with BIL (again!) I did have a very enjoyable day, 48151 performed faultlessly and put on a fine display, it was a perfect early summer’s day, we didn’t stop for water (north or south), we “crossed” with 60103, I had a good travelling companion and I had an ice cream (and I got to keep the change).

Thanks to all those who organised and operated the trip, not forgetting the man, with the flags and whistle who kept everyone safe throughout the trip, and posts on this forum (@torgormaig). This is a trip with a sensible itinerary that offers very good value for money and is operated in a friendly and professional way.

Before leaving home, I coached Mrs W in the use of RTT and later in the day she texted our daughter (and 3 year old grandson) when to see Flying Scotsman at Cherry Tree. He was so excited he wanted to come round and tell me all about it – he’s got the bug!

alastair, YorkyLad, andalfi1 and 5 others like this.
  13. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Another stonking southbound run from the 8F, it definitely upped it's game from the previous week !

14. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are two Dalesman's this week, Mon/Tuesday, both starting in York, any news on the likely loco ??

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad

I have done the Dalesman once and ought to do it again but its not easy from Soton with a dodgy connection back home now.

16. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Very understandable that you don't travel that far although I guess a guaranteed appearance by BIL might tempt you. There are some benefits living in the north and this is definitely one of them.

andalfi1 and alastair like this.
  17. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

One of the less reported features of the disastrous new timetable is that it has put paid to the connection into the 1947 at Skipton and thence the 2045 to Kings Cross. The days when you could do minus 15 minute connections at Southampton have gone! I've read all about it in a good book.

I guess a day out at Scarborough with a couple of hours behind 35018 is easily possible for those desperate for a MN fix.

18. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    48151 – The Race to the Top

I was fortunate to travel on The Dalesman on two consecutive weeks, 15 and 22 May. @LMarsh captioned his excellent video of the 22nd May run, “Another stonking southbound run from the 8F, it definitely upped its game from the previous week!” So did the facts bear this out? Was the second run better than the first? I decided to dig a little deeper.

So, neither run stopped at Appleby, the weather for both runs was dry, each run had a very experienced driver and we had the same fireman on both, Mick Middleton. The earlier run had 9 coaches and the later one 10. Some information taken from my GPS recorder is attached (please note: 48151 is a 50 mph loco operating on a 60 mph line).

This section of line is challenging for loco crews, rising mainly at 1/100 from 525ft at Appleby to 1169ft at Ais Gill in distance of 17.5 miles. The gradient through the platforms at Appleby (1/440r) soon changes to a helpful 1/176f for around a mile to Ormside viaduct where the initial stretch of 1/100r begins and continues for the 3.5 miles to Griseburn viaduct. There then follows around 3 miles of easier gradients (mainly 1/166r, 1/200r, 1/220r) around Crosby Garrett. The next section of 1/100r starts around Smardale viaduct and continues for 5 miles past Kirkby Stephen (where there is a brief easing) to just south of Birkett tunnel. Next there is around a mile of easier gradient (1/330r) past Mallerstang before coming to the final 3 miles of 1/100r to Ais Gill. A loco needs to be managed over this section.

On the 15th, Mick Rawling had 48151 up to a little under 48 through Appleby, at the end of the first section of 1/100r (Griseburn viaduct) speed had fallen to 39.0. On the easier gradients around Crosby Garrett speed increased to 50.6 at Smardale viaduct where the next section of 1/100r begins, Kirkby Stephen passed at 41.0 and into Birkett tunnel at 40.5. Speed increased along Mallerstang (45.0) and reached a maximum of 47.0 less than half a mile beyond (at Sycamore Tree farm). Under O/B 141 near Angerholme at 42.6 then under the B6259 road bridge at 40.5 and on to pass the summit board at 42.0 in 23:36 from Appleby. On the train it sounded as though Mick Rawling had set 48151 to work hard and changed very little with speed rising and falling with the changes in gradient.

On the 22nd (with one coach more), Mick Kelly decided on a different approach. [Previous weeks speeds in brackets]

We charged through Appleby station at 51.3 [47.7], at the end of the first section of 1/100r (Griseburn viaduct) speed had fallen to 39.2 [39.0]. On the easier gradients around Crosby Garrett speed increased to 48.5 [50.6] at Smardale viaduct where the next section of 1/100r begins, Kirkby Stephen passed at 37.1 [41.0] and into Birkett tunnel at 35.9 [40.5]. Speed increased along Mallerstang (40.7 [45.0]) and reached a maximum of 44.1 around three quarters of a mile beyond (at Deep Gill). Under O/B 141 near Angerholme at 41.3 [42.6] then under the B6259 road bridge at 40.1 [40.5] and on to pass the summit board at 41.1 [42.0] in 24:14 [23:36] from Appleby. This was a different style of driving, a harder driven, faster first section, an easing on the middle section and an all out attack on the final section.

Some sectional times are revealing. (22/05 times in brackets)

Appleby to Griseburn viaduct – 7:07 (6:40)

Griseburn viaduct to Smardale viaduct – 4:05 (4:16)

Smardale viaduct to Mallerstang SB – 7:34 (8:19)

Mallerstang SB to Ais Gill summit board – 4:50 (4:59)

And just for luck, under the red brick bridge, round the curve, under the road and past the photters.

Angerholme O/B 141 – Ais Gill summit board – 2:00 (2:00)

scan0001.jpg On 15 May 48151 seemed “well on top of the job” throughout. On 22 May, was 48151 “winded” on the middle section or merely being prepared for the final assault? Was it the extra coach that made the difference? I thought that both were very good runs; speed up the hill and with plenty of noise and ash from the front, but which was the better?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    andalfi1 and Mick45305 like this.
  19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

You don't need to be desperate for a MN fix if you are down south. Clan Line ran an even time leg last week on the Minehead trip and did the same today between Westbury and Taunton on the Torbay. And then there is Whiteball.........:)

20. 46203

46203 Member

48151 today, with 12 on.