If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dalesman 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    48151 1b (3).jpg

Working through Helwith Bridge in lovely sunshine, LMS 8F Class 2-8-0 No. 48151 heads the 'Dalesman' northbound to Carlisle, Chris Cubitt driving and
    Danny Davin firing. The wreath on the smokebox was for Albert Seymour who sadly passed away last week, a lovely touch

48151 5b.jpg

In more normal S+C weather 48151 approaches Ribblehead Station with the returning 'Dalesman' rail tour, Mick Rawling driving and Mike Middleton with the
    shovel.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Cracking shots Shep , as always it’s good to know who is grafting while we get the fruits .

Joanne Crompton likes this.
  3. Landshrew

Landshrew New Member

Guard with SWR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    48151 descending towards Dent station from Rise Hill Tunnel. Nice touch for Albert Seymour today, word is they'll do it again with 45690 on Saturday. Shame it's becoming a more regular occurrence as time goes on... DSC_2837 (2).JPG

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Ah now I know who owned that lonely camera peeking over the wall.:)
    Nice whistle as well. ;)

5. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Well spotted Ralph! Yes it was mine and like you say nice whistling ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Dalesman (Western Route) 15 May 2018 – 48151 hauling 8+POB

The most successful manager in Liverpool FC’s history, Bob Paisley reputedly had a pre-match team talk that consisted of, “Same as last time”. And, following my trip on 1st May, that’s what I expected, same trip, same loco, same load, “same as last time” – but was it . . . ?

Mrs W was accompanying me and the weather was set fair as we joined the train at Leyland: double-headed 47s up to Carnforth to collect our steam loco. When we arrived in the loop, 48151 and support were already waiting. On 48151’s smokebox was a wreath in memory of Albert Seymour, the former WCRC driver, who died on 5th May. I’m sure that many will have memories of trips with Albert driving.

With 48151 attached to the rear we were away and down the line to Hellifield; the primroses of a couple of weeks ago had given way to masses of bluebells. The land had dried and the scenery looked splendid on a sunny spring morning. We stopped in the eastbound platform at Hellifield awaiting the passage of the westbound service to Heysham (whereupon we could cross, head down the Blackburn line and then run back into the down goods loop). Some passengers decided to have a wander on the platform and had to be herded back on board. The Heysham train went, the 47s drew us down the branch to Blackburn, then 48151 with a couple of slips drew us into the loop. Now for a wait of 30+ minutes whilst the Leeds-Carlisle unit left and cleared the next section(s). The unit left 4L.

Mrs W and I were sitting near the front of the third coach, toplight fully open. As our departure time approached 48151 grew impatient and blew off. Chris Cubitt was driving and Chris Holmes firing (or so I was told, Shep Woolley reports Danny Davin on the shovel). Surprisingly, only a few seconds after our booked departure time, we were off. 48151 sounded busy as we reached 35 at Long Preston, speed continued to climb up to 44 and then, still less than 2 miles into our journey, the loco was eased and we braked down to 11 before opening up again as we approached MP233¾. We reached 36 by Settle Jn and 38 just beyond. (This is well below what would usually be expected. Looking at the times on RTT, it appears as if we got “baulked” by the Carlisle bound unit). So it was going to be a long slog, lucky only 9 coaches. We were down to 31 at Settle (5L) and slowed further to 27 as we entered Stainforth Tunnel. 48151 was opened up and clawed its way up to 30 at Helwith Bridge (9L). There were some lovely busy sounds coming from the front and lots of debris coming in through the window. On the level section we reached 37, this fell back to 33 at Horton in R (10L), plenty of noise past Selside at 32 and eased slightly to 31 at Ribblehead (10L). Over the viaduct and on to Blea Moor SB (30 & 5½L) and into the tunnel at 31. HGL to Blea Moor SB in 36:13 (almost 5 min slower than on 01 May; the effects of the adverse signal approaching Settle Jn).

We were out of the tunnel at 45 and along the tops in lovely sunshine (and the primroses were still numerous at these higher levels), slow through Dent (6L) up to 52 through Garsdale still 5½L, applying the power across Dandry Mire and with 48 at Ais Gill summit. There followed some good running but the 8F, being limited to 50, dropped some time down the hill and we finally stopped in Appleby 10L. Water for the loco and ice cream for Mrs W and me (raspberry – lovely!). We left Appleby (2L) and made a vigorous start; we were RT at Kirkby Thore as we flashed by a train in the siding. Some fast downhill running with hard work up the adverse gradients saw us gain on schedule and by Howe and Co SB we were 6E only to be held at London Rd Jn for just over 4 mins. We stopped in platform 3 at Carlisle 2E. A good run so now, at 14.20, time for lunch.

As it was warm and sunny Mrs W said that she fancied sitting outside at the William Rufus – so I left her sitting on the pavement and went in . . . as if! We did sit in the outdoor area at the rear and very pleasant it was in the warm sunshine. Mrs W had a couple of birthday cards to buy so off to the shops, a bit of a stroll and back to the station. 48151 was already coupled on to the stock in A road and after a few minutes drew forward then reversed the train into platform 3.

Mick Rawling assisted by Mick Middleton soon had us heading back south just under 1L. We crossed under the M6 at 27 and speed built gradually on the 1/132r to 31 as we passed Cumwhinton. At this point we were told that we wouldn’t be stopping for water as the driver thought that it would be ok to run directly to Hellifield. By Howe & Co SB we were almost RT & 40. 48151 was warming to her work but by Low House SB we were 1L & 49, on to Armathwaite (RT & 50), further good running through the tunnels saw us 1E & 47 at Lazonby. The climb up to Langwathby (RT & 46) was dismissed with wonderful noise from the front and ash streaming (well maybe not quite streaming) in through the open window at the rear of the seventh coach. We passed Culgaith SB at 52, still RT at Kirkby Thore (50) and 48151 was opened out to give us 53 on the gently rising gradients to Long Marton.

Mick gave it plenty on the mile and a half of 1/120r but speed fell back to 42 as we crossed the A66 just south of Appleby, this increased to 47 through the station (2E). We were intent on taking as much speed as possible on to the first section of 1/100r – and we did. We were 17E as we passed Ormside (the schedule allowed for a 12 minute stop in Appleby). We entered Helm Tunnel at 44 and exited at 42, still 16E at Crosby Garrett (46) on the easier gradients speed increased to 53 at Smardale Viaduct. Back on to the 1/100r, speed fell to 41 at Kirkby Stephen (18E) and increased to 44 on the slight easing beyond, 1/100r again and in to Birkett Tunnel at 40, out at 39 (first dip under 40). On the 1/330r at Mallerstang (44 and 19½E) speed rose to 47. Now for the last 3 miles, could we hold 40 to the summit? Speed began to fall only slowly settling around 41, 40.5 under the road bridge then for the next third of a mile it dropped back to 39 (oh heck!) We passed the summit board 19½E at 41/42. A cracking run, I had to continually brush the ash from my notebook.

20E through Garsdale (48) improved to 21½E at Blea Moor. A slow run (for the tourists amongst us) across Batty Moss Viaduct (10 mph) saw us back to 20E at Ribblehead. Good running down the hill; Helwith Bridge (49 & 19E) and Settle (50 & 21E) saw us pass Settle Jn SB 22E, this improved still further to 24E at Long Preston. We finally stopped in Hellifield Loop 21E. I had brief thoughts of possibly getting home soon when the 21 minute early arrival was combined with the planned 55 minute layover and an easy booking to Clitheroe – alas, not to be!

48151 and support departed for Carnforth and, a few minutes early, we left heading towards Blackburn. We were held at Horrocksford as a Bescot bound cement train left Castle Cement, we were held for it again at Clitheroe and again at Whalley. Once away we zoomed up Wilpshire bank, stopped in Blackburn, rattled along past Hoghton and finally stopped in Leyland 4E. Home for 21.39 beating my previous time by a minute.

The 8F put in a great performance on an admittedly lightish load. It worked through from Carlisle to Hellifield without a water stop (4000 gall tender) and at a fair rate of knots – was Mick trying to get home before the water ran out? This reminds me of a former colleague, who regularly professed that roads were dangerous places and so logically one should spend as little time on them as possible. He had sight in only one eye and drove like a maniac (this was 50 years ago when roads were less congested).

I managed to grab a brief word with RalphW who was “stewarding” on the train. Thanks to everyone involved in arranging and operating a very enjoyable trip – professional as always. Will I be going on another? Almost certainly! Will Mrs W be going on another trip? Yes, but not to Carlisle!

7. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Not sure if Mr Wistle realises but it is actually farewell to the Leeds--Heysham boat train this weekend.

If the Appleby stop southbound is not required, I wonder about the possibility of getting a slot from Hellifield onwards an hour earlier. But then with the recasting of the entire timetable from Monday I guess the times may be changing anyway as somebody once said.

andalfi1 likes this.
  8. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    No I didn't know, I'm only just coming to terms with the loss of the boat train that ran from ? via Blackburn to Fleetwood to connect with the sailing to the IoM. I went on the train in the 1950s but not the boat, my sister did a few times. Let's hope that the new timetable creates more steamy gaps than it closes.

andalfi1 likes this.
  9. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Is there any news on Tomorrow's loco please ?

10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Apparently 35018 is now facing south, and it's also load 12 tomorrow, so probably the 8F. Mind you, a Jube is no stranger to load 12, albeit overloaded.

11. 30567

But whatever loco it is needs to be facing south because it's tender first to Hellifield.

I feel that if some WCR related person such as Insect who gives info about the diesels on another site were willing to say the day before what the loco is, that would increase POTD. I'm sure the sort of people who read/write the blather on this site (self included) would be happy to sit in the brake or the buffet. In fact two weeks ago, the brake was the best place to be for the southbound run. And if the train really was full, we'd take the risk of being turned away at Leeds or Skipton.

I see the times have been marginally changed on the return between Hellifield and Leeds as a result of changes to times of Northern services on the Morecambe line. This includes a stop at Shipley as well as Keighley. Any non-stop runs through Appleby will involve sitting at Settle Jn or Hellifield Goods Loop for quite a while!

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    26D_M and andalfi1 like this.
  12. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Thanks, only curiosity really, I'm happy with anything...

John Merry and Copper-capped like this.
  13. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    On at Leeds, POTD and the sun is shining, happy chappie !

John Merry likes this.
  14. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Very well made points, I too understand WC diesel information is shared quite openly by company reps. It seems counterintuitive to withhold steam related information that might otherwise generate custom, but the firm seems to be doing well enough regardless.

15. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    8F doing the honours again today....15 late at Horton.

16. pete12000

pete12000 Member

pleased to know they're doing POTD, do you need to speak to a Steward on the platform?

I'd give this a go from Leeds.. TIA

17. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Yes, Bobs your man but any steward will point you at him.

18. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Excellent, thanks, I guess you have to be pretty quick as it's a fairly short stop at Leeds..

andalfi1 likes this.
  19. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    48151 at Selside Shaw and Birkett common .

20. 30567

arr 0956 dep 1020. Time enough!