If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dalesman 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Apr 25, 2018.

1. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    I suppose that’s why they spent all the time and hard work to get a loco that can work day in day out and all that :)

Shep Woolley likes this.
  2. 61994

61994 Member

acw71000 and 26D_M like this.
  3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Could we see a Shap debut on Saturday ?

4. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    It's not in exile, it's at home at 10A..............and looking at the Dalesman vids...........10A have got a good un. It took a while to sort out but bye 'ell, the Carnforth lads (and no doubt lasses), have done a top job.
    :Happy:

Shoddy127, MikeParkin65 and pete12000 like this.
  5. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Yes I am already looking at moving into the hotel at Settle for the season. Trouble is Mrs DB isn't keen

6. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Possibly and do RTC pay for the watering at Appleby? If so will it stop there?

7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

If it is 35018 on Saturday and waters at Carlisle prior to departure, the Appleby stop may be superfluous as yesterday seems to have been?

8. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Well, this time yesterday I was pretty apprehensive. Had the issue with NR actually been resolved at all levels? Would we have a diesel run to Carlisle? Would it be 48151 or 45699? The train turned up at Leeds with the two 37s top and tailing and we set off for the joys of Kirkstall Goods Loop, then coming to an abrupt halt outside Shipley. It turned out there was a problem with the unit in front of us, fortunately not terminal, so we arrived at Hellifield 12 late. No sign of any loco in the usual place on the Clitheroe line, temporary heart sink, where is it---big green engine over the other side topping up with water. The combination of that, dealing with the up Morecambe train and our late arrival meant that we did not leave until 1225, 25L. Load 11 plus POB, eight revenue coaches, kitchen, buffet and brake. Standard class well patronised but not full.

BIL is still running in so the team of Chipperfield and Chippendale took us up to Blea Moor steadily, not extending the loco in any way. 31' 25'' from HGL to Blea Moor box, 33' 12'' to the tunnel south portal. Dry quite bright conditions but clouding in, no views of the tops of D6,7 and 8. From there, what is there to say, the loco was easily master of the job with the braking being given a good test down Mallerstang. Would we stop at Appleby or Langwathby? The answer was neither. So with no restrictions apart from the line speed and Dent Station, the time from Blea Moor Tunnel South to Petteril Bridge Jct was 67'33''. Passing the junction at 1405 there was no chance of a clear run into Pl3 and we pulled in at 1415, 109' 26'' from Hellifield. According to one of the crew there was 2500 gallons left, so plenty of margin.

Carlisle was heavy showers and we returned to the station to find the train in one of the goods lines alongside Pl 1. There was plenty of traffic and unfortunately (?} a brake problem on one of the coaches meant they lost their slot to get back to Pl 3. So we departed with the team of Blair and Soames now in charge at 1647, 11L. so the unit due out at 1619 was well ahead of us. Of course going southbound, you have to get up to Ais Gill from sea level, so this is a longer challenge with more gradient breaks in the first half. So we ran from Carlisle to Appleby in 41' 25'', Appleby to KS in 14' 31'' and KS to Ais Gill summit board in 11' 06'' so 25' 37'' from passing Appleby to the summit. Driver Blair was working the engine quite hard up the grade. By now we were around 10E and one or two linesiders were seen in full running mode. Along the top and down the other side, not much to say, Ais Gill summit board to Settle Jct in 32' 38'' and with the (?) compulsory stop to get in the loop, a further 9' 18'' to a stand.

So, outbound, Settle Jct to Petteril Bridge in 3 seconds under 95 mins , coming back the reverse in 96' 08''. Very good, couldn't ask for more and so unexpected. Of course the Jubilees and the 8F would have to take water somewhere, so planning for that every run would be problematic. Our luck was in yesterday. So thanks to WCR staff and the stewards, and just think when something goes wrong, without David Smith this wouldn't be happening.

9. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can't understand why..could it be the weather...

John Merry likes this.
  10. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

If you're thinking of the Falcon Manor, it's seriously pricey. I did stay there for a few years (when visiting Settle for reasons entirely unconnected with railways) and one year I even had the room with the 4-poster bed, but subsequently I used B&Bs.

11. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Well said.

12. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Yes correct though we haven't stayed there for about 20 years. It was very good then and Mrs DB would like another visit but not to stay for the whole of the Dalesman season. We could do a Med cruise and have money left over for what that would cost. Sorry, seriously off thread

13. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    You got the 8P (lucky ***!) and the week before I got the 8F so now for a couple of time(ly) comparisons.

48151 + 10, (35018 + 12).
    HGL to Blea Moor SB - 31:22 (31:25).
    HGL to Blea Moor Tunnel S Portal - 33:07 (33:12).
    Appleby to KS - 17:11 (14:31).
    KS to Ais Gill Summit Board - 12:08 (11:06)

So that's 2 to me and the 8F and 2 to you and the 8P; a draw (in my dreams!). Problem is we were trying and you weren't.

andalfi1 and 30567 like this.
  14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Don't look at it as being in exile Martin, look at it as doing Missionary work! :)

Desert Songster likes this.
  15. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

I'd say southbound she was being driven a bit harder than northbound, not all out but not kid gloves either. I suspect Carlisle to Appleby (pass) in 41' 25'' is actually very good going. So maybe other comparators would be

Petteril Bridge to Lazonby 20' 57''

Ais Gill Summit Board to Blea Moor SB 15' 11''

Obviously the downhill sections tell nothing of interest. We will probably have to wait for Shap to see whether she can do Carnforth to Carlisle in whatever the target time is.

One thought--- I wonder if using BIL on the Chester to Carlisle Dalesman might be a bit more awkward in terms of topping up at Hellifield if they put the loco on the back at Carnforth. I guess we'll find out next week. Maybe they will have proved this week they don't need a top up.

Peter

Oswald T Wistle likes this.
  16. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some great footage there! Now I've had virtually zero exposure to MN's and indeed none whatsoever on the mainline. To my ear BIL sounds a bit off beat, compared to say Tornado, or even Gresley pacifics and 3 cyl LMS locos. So is it just me, or is there scope for some fine-tuning to even things up a bit still?

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That question could spawn a whole new thread! but, in short, and IMHO, if the valves are set well then a MN will not sound perfectly even but it will be very close.

andalfi1 likes this.
  18. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

they do sound a bit off key, even 35028, does not sound in perfect harmony the only way it to sample the beat of both, and then decide if 18 is slightly off. She sounds ok to me.

19. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    In TopLink (SR 474) Mike Hedderley assessed 60163 hauling 13 on The Boarder Raider (16 Sep 2017) from Carlisle to Appleby pass in 41:31 as "nothing special". I thought that it was better than ok as we thundered through Appleby at 58. Let's see what BIL does when he gets some more miles under his belt and the crews become more familiar - I hope that I get the chance to sample him soon.

20. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Surely MN18 is "a girl named Bill" :rolleyes:

andalfi1 and Copper-capped like this.