If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dalesman 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Apr 25, 2018.

1. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks for the kind comments and yes it did seem as the rails were wet as it had just thrown a slight shower before I arrived plus the RHTT train was behind 48151 .

2. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Returning in the dark through Kirkby Stephen Station.

3. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Sorry should be Kirkby Stephen

4. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

30/10/2018 - LMS Stanier 8F - 48151 with load 13 at Selside on the S & C on "The Daleman"

DSC_14265.jpg

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    It is now...;)

nige757 likes this.
  6. 61994

61994 Member

7. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Yes there were some slips in the cuttings, one at Birkett in particular, well controlled. Conditions seemed OK out in the open.

WCR have demonstrated quite a market at the £65 end. The 8F was the ideal loco for the job yesterday, slogging up the hills, not sure anything else would have gone without a diesel.

I'm sure we will get some proper reports later from Mr Wistle and maybe others.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    26D_M and sgthompson like this.
  8. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Wish we lived near enough to travel on them.

9. 61994

61994 Member

RalphW, nige757 and sgthompson like this.
  10. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Dalesman (Eastern Route) 30 October 2018 – 48151 hauling 12+POB

As this, the final Dalesman of the year, was scheduled to run in the middle of the leaf fall season I had been undecided whether to book; my indecision almost cost me. The CME on the 13th ran without diesel assistance so on the 14th I decided to take the plunge, but the website showed it was fully booked. A phone call on Monday morning secured me the last seat on the train – whew! On the 17th, the Pendle Dalesman running with BIL had a 33 on the back; maybe this was because BIL was fresh out after repairs, or maybe because it was a pacific and leaves were falling, who knows . . . I didn’t.

Overnight frost had cleared and a cold, cloudy but dry day was forecast. Roadworks on the A59 cost me 10-15 minutes and so having parked in Skipton centre, after a brisk walk I arrived on the platform with less than 10 minutes to spare. After all the delays with the ECS movement, the train, hauled by 57601 “Windsor Castle” sporting its new two-tone livery and with a 37 on the rear, arrived at Skipton 4E. We passed 48151 and support waiting down the Blackburn line and soon stopped in Hellifield loop awaiting the loco changes. The train was a considerable 13 coaches, rumour had it that the diesel was to remain on the rear – this proved to be incorrect. I was 8½ coaches back, at the request of the train manager windows and doors were to be kept closed to conserve the heat. The steam heating in our half of the carriage did not work – brrrr!

10½L we were off, Mick Kelly driving and Trevor Wrench (under the watchful eye of the experienced Frank Chippendale) was firing. A heavy train, but by Settle Jn we were a shade over 53 and despite the closed windows the 8F could be heard clearly. We negotiated the first stretch of wooded cutting without problems and were doing 38 through Settle station. A minor slip around Langcliffe and a couple more approaching Stainforth Tunnel saw speed being held to 21, another slip around Sheriffs Brow but speed increased to 23 at Helwith Bridge (15L) and up to 29 on the level beyond. We were down to 23 at Horton in R (17L), a slight increase to 24 and then to 26 where the gradient eases. Then we were down to 21 for the long climb past Selside before rallying to 24 at Ribblehead (22L). We passed Blea Moor SB a little over 21L and 33:10s from Settle Jn. A worthy effort given the load and rail conditions.

The sun shone as we crossed Dent Head Viaduct, shining down Dentdale far below; a delightful view. We were 23L at Dent and 22L at Garsdale (51), a blast up to Ais Gill (47 & 22L). As it was unlikely that we would reduce the deficit I suspected that the 20 min stop at Appleby would be abandoned, but no! Some very smart downhill running saw us stop in Appleby for a 10 minute break. I had a stroll but, unlike some brave individuals, decided against an ice cream – “What?”, I hear you cry. We were off 11L and there followed some more brisk running, then a slowing for some NR workers just south of Culgaith, a stretch of more subdued running followed this resulted in us being 15L at Armathwaite. Another burst of speed but then a slow approach into Carlisle saw us stop in platform 3 2½L.

I’d already met with NP’s @30567 (Peter) at Hellifield and, as arranged, after a brief look at the loco we made our way to the Woodrow Wilson for lunch. I was back on chicken and noodles whilst Peter had gammon, a chat about memorable rail tours passed the time. We then walked to the centre where I had a purchase to make (not ice cream) and Peter went off to the cathedral.

When I arrived back 48151 was already attached to the southern end of the stock in A road. David Blair was the driver and Bob Bullock was firing. A few minutes later she was off south and then reversed into platform 3. On the platform I was standing where I expected my carriage door to be and, for once, I nailed it (within a foot) – oh, yes!

We left at 16.24 (RT), 10 minutes before the usual Dalesman departure and only 5 minutes behind the Leeds bound unit. The light was fading fast as we left. Cautiously we made our way up the 1/132r, a slip in the wooded cutting near Scotby dropped the speed from 21 to 19 but despite another slip we responded with 21 at the summit just beyond Cumwhinton. Just under a mile of level track saw us reach 31 as we passed Howe & Co SB (3½L) and onto 3 miles of 1/132r. We were down to 24 at Cotehill Viaduct and held this speed to the summit and then it was down the 1/132f past Low House Xng SB (38 & 2L). We accelerated with a max of 49 in the dip before climbing again through Armathwaite at 43, downhill again before climbing up the 1/220r through Armathwaite Tunnel (in 45), Baron Wood No2 and finally Baron Wood No1 (out at 37) then another downhill and pick up some speed for the short climb to Lazonby (51 & 2L). We climbed past Little Salkeld at 46 but, as the climb continues, we lost speed to Langwathby (36 & 3½L). On the next 4 or so miles of easier gradients speed increased to 43 at Culgaith SB and just under 4L. The short climb to New Biggin pegged us back to 34 with 36 at Kirkby Thore (5L). The train manager then announced that as it was now dark we would not be stopping at Appleby. We passed through the station at 37 (4½L). This was a good effort given the load and the conditions.

By not stopping we were now running 28½E. We reached 51 crossing Ormside Viaduct, this had fallen back to 48 at Ormside but 31E. We were now on the first section of 1/100r, into Helm Tunnel (32) and out (26) and ¾mile beyond a slip; we were now down to 18. As the gradient eases we clawed our way back up to 20 across Griseburn Viaduct and up to 26 beyond. We passed Crosby Garrett at 29 then a slip, then some acceleration and into CG Tunnel at 33, by Smardale Viaduct we had reached a dizzying 36. The 1/100r starts again towards Kirkby Stephen and soon we were plodding along at 22 but a couple of slips and we were down to less than 20 through the station (22E) – how much of that time would we need? As the gradient briefly eases we reached 24 but then the gradient bit back, by Birkett Tunnel we were down to 17. A slip on the exit saw speed drop to 14, thankfully the gradient soon eases along Mallerstang (a mile of 1/330r) and we fought our way to 23 at Mallerstang (19E) with a max of almost 28 at Sycamore Farm (3 miles from the summit). By Angerholme we were down to 19, 18 across Ais Gill Viaduct, 17½ under the road bridge with a minimum of 16½ beyond. And over 23 as I (5½ coaches back) passed the summit board (13E) in 42:11s from Appleby. I bet that David Blair breathed a sigh of relief.

It was very dark and not much to see. We dropped a couple of minutes to Blea Moor SB but by Ribblehead were 16E. On the upper part of the descent as soon as speed reached 45 we braked, then repeated the process – I guess David was getting a feel for the rail conditions. Once assured we ran quickly down the hill and by Settle were 20E. Approaching Settle Jn we were slowed (presumably for a Morecambe-Leeds) and then ran slowly all the way through Long Preston before stopping in Hellifield loop (6½E).

A few minutes later a train “whooshed” through the platform line. It appears that it was 351S, the RHTT. Now this train left Carlisle at 16.34 (the usual Dalesman time) and presumably was the reason why we were re-timed to 16.24. We were booked to stop at Appleby from 17.15 to 17.48 and 351S to pass Appleby at 17.25. How? Was it planned that the 500+ passengers were decanted onto Appleby station platforms whilst the train was propelled into the yard to allow 351S to pass? Unpalatable though that might have been we would have had the benefit of following it from Appleby onwards.

Anyway, back to Hellifield loop; steam off, diesels on, ETH on (for the few minutes back to Skipton). Then a walk back to the car, which was frozen, then the drive back and home for 9pm. It was good to meet Peter and put another face to an NP member. Seated at the same table as me was a man, who had some physical problems and learning impairments and who could only travel when facing forwards, and his carer; we had some chats and I’m glad that he had a good day.

This was, as always, a good day out and is great value – 13 coaches FULL of passengers attest to that. I did the first Dalesman of the year and now the last (and a few in between). My thanks to all those who planned and operated this trip and continue to make them enjoyable. Again, it is easy to underestimate the skills of the drivers who managed a heavy train in what were at times tricky conditions – much admired and appreciated. My thanks to those who posted photos and videos and especially the “Werewolves of Kendal” who roam the fells on dark nights.

Funniest moment: On the return journey I was travelling on the left side of the carriage with 2 couples (in their 60s) across the aisle. Whilst we were slogging through Birkett Tunnel, a Carlisle bound freight came hammering down the hill and just as the loco passed their window the driver sounded his hooter. Instantly, they all jumped, but soon saw the funny side; there did not appear to be any accidents of a “personal nature”.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  11. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Good to meet you too David. I reckon some kind of audio/video book of your commentaries plus the superb work of the video and photter community would sell.

We've been blessed with a lovely autumn up here -- probably half the leaves are still on the trees and the light going up at lunchtime was lovely. Shame someone decided to put the clocks back last weekend but there you go.

12. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  13. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Wonderful. I must do one next year and risk the dodgy connection to get home

14. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

A bit late, but my shot from last Saturday of 48151 near Armathwaite. Sadly I arrived too late to think of/find somewhere where the shadows would've been less intrusive, but I'll remember for next time.

Scotland.001.jpg

James

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't worry about that image. It's nothing that a gentle PS tweak won't sort out and anyway decent photography is as much an art form as it is a standard three quarter front view. And personally I like the loco poking out from the shadows.

steamvideosnet likes this.
  16. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Agreed, makes a very nice change from the norm. Lovely shot.

17. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    The shadows make it. Steam in the autumn landscape. Excellent picture.

18. Fulwood Flyer

Fulwood Flyer New Member

48151 and her crew successfully negotiating the slippery rails of Ribblesdale on 30 October 2018, in an area of the S&C where 'City Of Wells', 'Green Arrow', and others, have had difficulties over the years. Ribblesdale View-30 October 2018-48151 Dalesman-©copyright 2018 Peter Ainsworth.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    acorb, ribble and iancawthorne like this.