If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

D6566

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by 32110, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Today, 5 November 2014, D6566 arrived at the East Somerset Railway, Cranmore for repairs to its bodywork by CTMS. Once repairs are completed it will be repainted above the frames/running gear.

D6566 Unloading at ESR.jpg

KA-2B likes this.
  2. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Didn't CTMS do the bodywork on the other WSR Class 33?

3. KA-2B

KA-2B New Member

Engineer
    Yes, CTMS did a similar job on D6575/33 057 in 2010/11, still looking smart three years on!
    There is still a fair amount of work to do on D6566 once it returns to the WSR including completion of the engine rebuild and attention to the bogies so difficult to predict when it will return to service at the moment.
    Incidently, although it is only a painting, my picture 'handle' is believed to be the only known depiction of a Class 33 cab showing the original colour scheme.

4. Arthur Twosheds

Arthur Twosheds New Member

Not colour and no loco number I'm afraid, but here is Eastleigh driver Fred Williams on a Crompton in 1963, the cab still being fairly clean in original condition as mentioned.

[​IMG]

5. KA-2B

KA-2B New Member

Engineer
    That's a wonderful picture, thanks for posting it.
    A good character shot of Fred as well as showing the original cab details.
    The cab side panels were originally coated in a formica like material and the colour specified for that was "Stardust Yellow" and looks like the same colour was used throughout on the lighter painted areas.
    There is a variety of rose called "Stardust" that has creamy yellow coloured petals so I guess it must have been inspired by that!
    The exterior window surrounds and bodyside line on D6575 are painted in a colour called "Swanage Sand" and this was also used for a temporary smarten up job on D6566 a couple of years ago.
    When the 71A Loco Group performed bodywork repairs on their loco D6515/33 012 some time back they discovered a patch of the original paint buried below the later layers on the window surrounds.
    A sample was sent away to Williamsons Paint and they were able to mix the correct colour again giving it that code name due the shade and geographical location.
    When it came to D6575 we ordered "Swanage Sand" from Williamsons but as a special mix a fairly large quanitity had to be obtained so we also used it for the cab interiors and is not a bad approximation of the original colour!