If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cumbrian Mountain Express 2022

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 61994, Jan 8, 2022.

1. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    35018 at Shap Wells and Langwathby.

2. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Not really as it is what it is .

3. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    On a recent Dalesman shortly after leaving Wilpshire Tunnel BIL had slipped to a halt. This had been clearly audible from Ramsgreave & Wilpshire station but was before the bend and out of sight. As today's run was earlier in the day but later in the year I decided to go to Ribchester Road bridge where any repeat would be clearly visible. This is not the most photogenic of locations and can suffer with traffic noise but does offer a good vantage point.

@1020 Shireman reported that (regrettably) the 47 had been fixed at Hellifield. So, the prospect of BIL battling Wilpshire Bank with 11+ a dead 47 (surely not) or with 11 (and it would have been a battle) did not materialise; the 47 would be able to push away to its heart's content. With a generous allowance the 12L departure from Hellifield had been reduced to 2L at Clitheroe. It was now raining hard, Mrs W and I remained in the car as long as we could then off to the bridge. Mrs W held the brolly as I prepared, the rain eased then stopped.

In the cutting most of the trees were still green, there was little evidence of any leaf fall but that is only part of the story. It had been almost 24 hours since the RHTT had climbed the bank, 24 hours since the munching microbes, belligerent bacteria and slippery enzymes had been quelled by a dose of @Britfoamer's deadly fluid. A fluid made in Burnley echoing another Burnley brew of yesteryear, Massey's Ales; this brew proved to be equally as deadly but to human brain cells (usually male).

I was just about to cross the road to take a shot of BIL exiting the tunnel when I saw the lights shining on rails inside the tunnel and seconds later BIL emerged - Oswald was too late BIL is just too sneaky. She burst out from under the bridge in a cloud of white exhaust, she was working but not too hard; certainly not hard enough to be lifting 11 coaches up the hill. Possibly a momentary, quickening of the exhaust beat suggesting BIL may have been near the limit of adhesion. The wet roofs of the carriages gleamed silver as they reflected the steel grey sky above. Then came the 47 making a right racket as it pushed the train up the bank, it continued to growl away long after it was out of sight. 10C, around 1E and the rain held off until after we had returned to the car. When we arrived home Diego was waiting by the door and was first inside - nothing changes. [Diego is a neighbour's cat who wants to live with us.]

4. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    35018 seen climbing Shap from Shap Wells and Langwathby.

5. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    35018 seen from the Paddy Lane, Scalthwaite Rigg on the outward leg and Ais Gill on the return:

Strong winds today so some camera shake and plenty of wind noise.

6. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Nothing mechanical with 804. Just needed some batteries for the AWS. Not the big battery like wot Guardsman needed. Fitter just seemed to have a pack of AAs or similar size.

7. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    If your looking to have a particular shot young whistle you to get in the aqua and wind

RalphW likes this.
  8. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I am in compete agreement and have been there, done it and got the tee shirt (but it got wet and shrunk). That was in my younger days, I must admit that now, on the worst of days, I am happy to leave it to the hardier souls - like yourself, the Kendalinos and one or two others. Embarking on the "schooner Hesperus as it sails the wintry sea" holds no appeal, I much prefer the comfort of my armchair, a cup of tea and the company of Mrs W.

nige757, sgthompson and MellishR like this.
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Even if these were different batteries, it's a bit naughty of WC to let it happen twice within a few months.

10. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    By accident rather than design Saturday's run south over the S&C resulted in BIL hauling 11 coaches PLUS 47.804, in the "leaf fall season", in mixed weather with a stiff cross wind.

I am indebted to @1020 Shireman (thanks Graham) for providing me details of the climb. Graham estimates the weight on the drawbar as 548 tons. Whilst the 47 may weigh the same as 3 (and a bit) coaches, its rolling and wind resistance will not be the same. However, at the relatively low speeds on a continuous climb a very high percentage of BIL's tractive effort will be taken up overcoming gravity; the 11 coaches are going to "feel like" 14 (and a bit) to the driver and especially the fireman. Add in the weight of the Merchant and that gives 700 tons to be lifted up the hill - not ideally suited to a 4-6-2, one that at times can appear to be skittish.

Mick Rawling must have been driving at just about the limit of adhesion as Graham noted several instances of a slight slip. 42 mph through Appleby, British India Line hauling 11 coaches plus a non-contributing class 47 diesel locomotive from MP275 to the Ais Gill summit board in 31m 7s. This may be the slowest posted time of the year but a worthy effort given the load and prevailing conditions.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  11. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Forgot to say we ran through Appleby at 42 David. Don't think with that load Mick was going to stop unless he had to!!

Paul42 and Oswald T Wistle like this.