If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cumbrian Coast Express April 12th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought for a minute that meant steam from Preston, but looking at RTT, Les Ross runs back to Preston from Carnforth in the morning, to stable, then back to Carnforth some 5 hours later.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Given that steam doesn't go around the coast to Carlisle all that often. Given that we now have Scots Guardsman. Given that we return from Carlisle over Shap with SG, that is unusual. Given that this trip starts from London....I think that the RTC deserves a big pat on the back for thinking to run this trip. I'm amazed it is not yet full but you only have to look at two other big guns out on the same day - Tornado and The Earl - to understand why, not to mention the Welsh trip. I know that there is no way that these things can be synchronised but to have three major representatives of the GW, LMS and LNER out on the same day is actually a tad frustrating and poses quite a dilemma for the those with cameras.

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Ah, the joys of working nights on payday. Just treated myself to a ticket for this trip. I'm also on the Stratford upon Avon trip the following day. Busy weekend!

4. Big Al

Just got the tickets for this trip. It looks as though we are going north over Shap and back via Maryport. This is the opposite way to the advertised route but I guess allows us to pick up the WCME path to Carlisle and at least gets us there in time for lunch. We leave for home also at the same time as the WCME to go around the coast but as expected it's a late return to Euston. IMHO that's a good call on the route change although I have to say I was looking forward to SG southbound over Shap. But hey, northbound is also great... provided that the fire is sorted out before we leave!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    iancawthorne likes this.
  5. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Just wondering if anybody has a gradient profile for the coastal route? Never traversed it before, would be interesting to see just how hard the Scot will be pushed for this route or if it's an amble on the cliffsides.

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  7. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

I've been after a gradient profile for the coast for ages and never found one so I'm now drawing one using signal box diagrams (painfully slow progress understandably), but if you look on Flickr and look for signal box diagrams or go on NR sectional Appendix to look at line speeds (as there are a lot of speed restrictions along the coast so it will be accelerating away from those too)

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Freightmaster Publishing does a series of route descriptions called Line by Line; although the WCML has not yet been done the author might have notes available so it may be worth checking with the company via Freightmaster.

9. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

There was a diesel tour last October (19th) south down the coast which dep Carlisle 1442 and reached Carnforth 1745. 5944's post indicates next Saturday's train will use this path.

The main climb is from Dalton to Lindal (1 in 79).

HTH

Andrew N

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  10. Big Al

Looks like it, plus a water stop at Sellafield. Pity that we are not going via Barrow. The last time I was there with steam 70023 Venus started out on the the 0810 Barrow to Euston in 1967. Nevertheless, it's a good itinerary with the bonus of Scots Guardsman.

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can't help with much gradient info on the route as I've never seen a gradient profile either but the climb away from Dalton Jct. just as you come off the Barrow avoiding line is a stiff one and will give 46115 plenty of work to do. Best ever on board recording of 4472 was on this stretch back in 1978.

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    And if the weather is up to it Arnside should be worth a visit followed by tea at the local chippie ! :)

13. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    46115 should be working hard as it crosses Eskmeals viaduct before Bootle station from past outings on this stretch of the line if memory serves me well .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  14. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

If that was the Lakelander then it would have been accelerating away from Ravenglass which is only about 1 mile away. 46115 will be running non stop through there and with a long stretch of 60mph running from Sellafield to Whitbeck LC and not much is the way of gradients then it will most probably be coasting past Eskmeals. the South side of Foxfield at one of the level crossings would be a good shot for Saturday as it will be accelerating away from a 20mph speed restriction over Foxfield LC.

15. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    The section past Bootle station is uphill so can't see why it would be coasting even after a run from Sellafield .

16. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Eskmeals viaduct is just over 3 miles from Bootle station and the climb is only for about the last mile so 46115 would still be putting in minimal effort as it crosses it.

17. Big Al

Given the large number of speed restrictions, it may be easiest to go for a location just beyond one of these if you are looking to get SG under power. There's plenty of choice - Aspatria, Maryport, Parton, Foxfield, Kirkby, Ulverston Wraysholme Crossing, Arnside.....

18. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

...Green Road, Whitbeck LC, Harrington, Workington, Just outside Carlisle, You could go on forever (although the Arnside one has gone). Of course, there are also the booked stops to take into account too so Corkickle, Nethertown, Seascale & Dalton could also be added to the long lust of possibilities.

19. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    And not to forget Braunton on the Sunday to Stratford ! Don't think there's a bigger weekend for mainline steam all year than this weekend.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The only thing to remember Al is that the run is very similar to the CMEs, except round the coast instead of through the hills. So it has to be the steam round the coast that it the pull, but is this enough to get the enthusiasts on board or will they prefer to be at the line side?