If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Coal Quality?

Discussion in 'Mutual Improvement Classes' started by aldfort, May 23, 2014.

1. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm not sure I have this in the right place so mods please feel free to move it.
    I've noticed that I seem to be getting more heat out of the coal this year. Our coal on the WSR has come from a Welsh open cast mine for the last few years. It's a little slower burning (actually slower to ignite) than the Russian stuff we had before but I'm not talking about speed of combustion here. I'm talking about weight (or shovelfuls) of coal needed per mile.
    I've noticed that during lighting up the loco's all seem to be "coming round" faster in the mornings and they seem to need less coal to maintain steam pressure on the run.
    Now I'm prepared to accept my technique may have improved, or that I'm making excuses as twice this week I've had loco's blowing off while still on shed in the morning but I think it's more than that. I had 4160 on the mark all the way from MD to BL yesterday with almost no depth of fire on the bars and very light firing (seven on the back -which is normal and light firing compared with previous seasons).
    Any thoughts would be welcome.