If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CME 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Oswald T Wistle, Jan 6, 2023.

1. DanielsTrains

DanielsTrains New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

My shots from Yesterday filmed at Lancaster, Penrith, Carlisle, Petteril Bridge Junction, currock Junction and Preston

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

3. DWH 2848

DWH 2848 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    More excellent video and sound , Nige!

nige757 likes this.
  4. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

Many thanks, Shireman. Really pleased you got the diesel free run. Sadly, I wasn’t able to be there so thanks for providing this.

5. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Thanks David much appreciated.

6. Mike Wylie

Mike Wylie New Member

Engine Driver
    Good to see you too. Thought you might struggle to get in there with all the tamper servicing vehicles.

If you lot had been on time at The Citadel it would have been perfect.:Dead:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Haighie likes this.
  7. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
  8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Thanks for sharing. I must admit when we blitzed through Penrith at 73mph I had hoped someone was capturing it!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    Mick45305, RalphW and mike1522 like this.
  9. acorb

So having caught up with some of the videos and reflected on yesterday, 46115 performed solidly, if not spectacularly yesterday. I have had some exceptional runs behind this loco, not least when she was a substitute for number 9 on an SRPS trip to Inverness some years ago - quite possibly one of the best runs behind a Scot ever. Yesterday wasn't in that drawer, but she did everything asked of her and it will go down as a darn good day out. Unassisted steam, some good climbing, great noise and fast running into the high 70s, all still available in 2023. Thankyou RTC, West Coast and all the staff and volunteers involved. Thanks also yesterday to those who went out and captured both Scots on their old stamping ground, the line sides were very full and there are some tremendous results on YouTube.
    Also a big thank you to Les Ross for use once again of his beautiful blue electric racing machine, for dismissing the miles nonchalantly on the West Coast Mainline. It really is immaculate. Certainly no issues with holding up Pendolinos yesterday! Les seemed to be enjoying himself yesterday too!

10. Joanne Crompton

Joanne Crompton New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  11. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

The final Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express of 2023 is March 18. Hard to believe 3 of the 4 WCME’s have happened.

A fantastic weekend on Shap.

12. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Hi Mike - isn't it amazing that you can watch such a spectacle over in Texas, courtesy of Nat Pres and YouTube. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Peter

Haighie and mike1522 like this.
  13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Isn't it amazing that we can watch it at all, some 50+ years after the 'end of steam', and more so for two Scots over Shap about 20 minutes apart.

MellishR, oldmrheath, acorb and 8 others like this.
  14. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Indeed...I couldn't have imagined steam on the main lines again...50+ years ago....some of the photos and videos now, are, to me ...magic

RalphW likes this.
  15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Appreciative at many different good levels. Yes

torgormaig likes this.
  16. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    It’s just a shame that the DOTBB don’t appreciate this Ralph

17. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Too true. I went back to the cutting at Scotby on Saturday for 46115 departing Carlisle. The only other time in my life that I've been to that spot was on 11th August 1968 for The 15 Guinea Special, with my mate for the double-headed Black 5s arriving light, then the train itself running in behind Oliver Cromwell, and then the 5s taking the return south. On the long walk back to Carlisle for the train back to Newcastle we stopped at Durran Hill to watch Oliver Cromwell making its lone way out of Carlisle past the signal box.

I was convinced on that day that 70013 would be the last steam engine I would ever see at Carlisle, or anywhere else on the main line for that matter. At the time the only steam that would be allowed to run on BR was 4472 under an agreement that ran until 1971, but I wasn't enthused about going far to see it, especially as it was off to the USA soon.

Thankfully I was wrong.
    28-Britannia-70013-'Oliver-Cromwell',-Durran-Hill-Junction-11-Aug-68-fbook.jpg 31-Britannia-70013-'Oliver-Cromwell',-Durran-Hill-Junction-11-Aug-68-fbook.jpg

18. acorb

Too true Ralph, so long as there is steam available I will try and support it. It is an expensive hobby now, but trips like Saturday serve to remind me why I keep coming back.

The 'modern' traction on the first leg is nearly 60 years old, 46115 is not far off a century - both still performing admirably.

19. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    I never cease to be amazed, Shap Wells on Saturday was an amazing experience to see.
    We aren't yet at the end of February and so far 8 steam locos have been out on the main line (61306, 70000, 45231, 44932, 45699, 46100, 46115, 7029) and today 34046 is scheduled to move back to Crewe. All being well there are more to come.
    Not something we should take for granted in today's financial situation.

Waterbuck, Haighie, Matt37401 and 4 others like this.
  20. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    First unassisted mainline tour of the year. This is how our day went.

Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express 11th February 2023

Well, here we are again. After the first 2 WCMEs were ruined by diesel assistance, the spectre of diesel assistance was there again. We decided to 'Travel in Hope'. Sadly none of our friends could make the train so again Mrs S and I had a table for four each in Coach G.

Cloudy in South East Monmouthshire. Up at 0445 and out an hour later for the run to Crewe. Bit mizzly in places but not much traffic so we were in the Brocklebank on Weston Road at 0745. The roads were really grey after so much salt spreading. Many of the lane markers and cat's eyes were well covered and almost invisible. After running the 110+ miles up the motorways our blue car was a grey mess from roof to tyres. As usual we had an excellent seriously big Full English Breakfast that would set us up for the day.

The chat on the platform was again 'will they; won't they' put a diesel on the back. Nothing we could do about it. A few minutes late, 86259 brought 10 carriages into P11. Like the 28th there were 3 Pullmans. The stock hadn't turned so Standard Class were on the front so middle of 4rd carriage for the outward journey. As we approached Carnforth D&UGL we wondered what was waiting for us. This time thankfully there was no Class 47 on the parallel road. 86259 was detached and released and then 46115 + POB attached to the front. After a brake test we left on time.

Mick Rawling was our driver with Martyn Soames our fireman. Been about a bit has Martyn as he fired Galatea on the Bath and Gloucester Train last Saturday. Not much noise from the Scot as we set off for Yealand. No doubt Mick was making sure the fire bedded in nicely. 46115 is a bit of an inconsistent performer so we never know what the day will bring. It got a bit noisier but we only passed MP7, the start of the 2 1/2 miles of 134r at 28. Mick didn't use much in the way of steam on the climb. Speed rose to just under 31 at mp8 1/4 and holding 31 over the last half mile to the summit. Not one of the best but hopefully Mick had a good fire to pick up speed by mp13, the start of the 13 miles of Grayrigg. Interesting to hear from David that there was a bit of rain in the area. Not always apparent when timer's are concentrating on looking for the yellow posts.

46115 wasn't worked too hard on the 293f, and we only took 51.4 onto the level 2 miles but then the noise level rose and 46115 charged along to hit 59 at mp12 3/4; and even pick up to just over 60 in the first 1/2 mile of 173r at mp13 1/4. Bodes well for a good climb. We passed Milnethorpe at mp13 1/2 at 58.5 and there was only a small fall per 1/4 on the 2 miles+ of 173r, left at mp15 3/4 at 51.3. the grade steepens a bit to 153r for 3/4 mile, left at 49.7. Mick used the 3/4m of 392r to lift speed back to 52 and the safety valves lifted as we hit the mile of 111r. Plenty of noise from the Scot but we still lost 6 mph on the stretch. Next is a mile and a half of easier 176r but speed fell to 43.8 through Oxenholme, mp19 and a bit. We left the 176r at 43.6 and the short 3/4m 104r saw a further fall to just under 40.

We love the sound of a Scot working hard and that's what we got but speed kept falling steadily on the 3/4m 124r to 37. Much noisier on the 2 miles + of 131r to mp23 3/4 and we took 35.4 onto the much steeper 2 miles of 106r to the summit. Crossed Docker Garth's Viaduct at a good 35.8 then felt a short slip. The Scot got a bit winded on the last mile but held 31 before slipping back to 30 over the summit. Not bad as the conditions weren't great. Time from mp13 to mp26 was 18m 48s and we were 7 minutes late. Hoped that would be pulled back as the chance of both Scots being together in Carlisle Citadel depended on us being on time or a bit early as 46100 was due to be dragged out of the station at our arrival time. 46100 with a diesel on the back was only one down at Shap.

As is the norm, we rolled down the 204f/777f to Low Gill, mp28 passed at a slow 48. Fire and boiler preparing time. No great pick up as we rolled down the 425f either and we only passed mp 29 at 54. Not the usual pick up but the ballast was wet so there must have been a shower earlier. No serious roar from the front and only 62.2 at mp30. Mick went for a final charge along the mile+ of level track and this was more like the roar of a Scot. We took 66.4 onto the 1 3/4 miles of 146r, the approach to Shap proper. Ok, not great and we lost 5 mph to only take 61 onto the 75r. Not much chance of getting the 35-37 summit speed we estimated in the Shap Challenge,

46115 sounded like a 3/4 Scot as we attacked the bank at mp33 - not sure if it was the milepost that I timed - doing just under 60. Hard work for Martyn keeping the boiler on the mark on a bank as steep as Shap. Omens were not good as our speed fell 10 mph to 50 over the mile to mp34. There were a few umbrellas up lineside though there wasn't any sign of rain on the window. We still had 3 1/4 miles of 75r to go. Above mp34 we began losing just over 3 mph to each quarter mile despite lovely sounds from the Scot. The westerly wind was more noticeable and by mp35 we were down to 36.5. Scout Green looked a bit wet as we crossed the line of the path at 34.8 and a little above here close to mp35 1/2, 46115 suffered a bout of slipping, caused we believe by the Flange Lubricator just doing it's thing and the wet rail. Mick sensibly eased the Scot and we almost drifted past mp36 at only 22.1. He then did an excellent job to produce a steady surefooted climb, passing the quarters thus: mp36 1/4 at 20.9; mp36 1/2 at 20.5; mp36 3/4 at 19.8; mp37 at 20.1. Into the cutting then and despite the usual damp atmosphere we passed mp37 1/4, the climbing summit, at 20.1.

Moments after the quarter milepost, the Scot slipped again on the flange lubricator on the right hand curve, very common for steam locomotives these days, and Mick let 46115 coast past the Summit Board on the level at mp37 1/2 at 16.2. We'd lost 7 minutes to schedule. Time from the start of the 146r, mp31 1/2 to mp37 1/4 was 9m 41.1s. We got there and that was what mattered.

All down grade to Carlisle then. Not a rapid descent of the few miles and we only passed mp40 on the 142f at 55. Speed picked up noticeably on the 125f to pass mp44 at 71 and mp45 at a good 75. Slight easing to rush through Penrith North Lakes at 71.2, 9 down now and highly unlikely to get down the 17 miles to Carlisle Citadel for the 'Two Scots Shot'. So it proved to be. No great rush with good 75 achieved by mp61. Speed was held there and we were now only 5 down. Mick didn't apply the brakes until mp64 1/2 where we were still doing 75. Unfortunately RTT showed the Saphos train had been on time and as we ran alongside Upperby Yard we saw the two tone green Class 47 and a few seconds later, 46100 being towed there for servicing. As we approached the signal box the water tanker was there waiting for the Scot. We rolled into Citadel 4 down, journey time 81m 23s. Rather a slow time but it was a proper steam hauled run, the first up north this year.

We heard from the Saphos folk that 46100 would facing London Road Jn in the GL we rolled down to Petterill Jn later in the afternoon. We had a snacky lunch sitting in the astro turf area and watched 46115+POB back through the station on its way to the splendidly named High Wapping Sidings south of the station where 46115 would be serviced. We wandered into the 301. They had an exotically named golden/blond beer from the Whitley Bay Brewery named Spanish City Blond; and a traditional stout whose source I forgot to note. Both were very quaffable. Mrs S had her usual glass of Waddling Duck Sauvignon Blanc. So good we bought a bottle to take home.

Just after 1400 we wandered back onto the platform to see 46115 on the front of our train. Settled down on the opposite side of the carriage for the return journey. Bill came to share the table again and we had an excellent afternoon 'facing and back as all posts can't be seen viewing in one direction. We were in the middle of the ninth carriage so probably wouldn’t hear much from the Scot. The timing to Appleby, 31 miles away over mostly gently rising gradients is a challenging 44 minutes so Mick can't hang about.

We left 3 down and as we rolled down the slope past London Road we saw a group of LSL folk taking pictures of us and 46100. Mike Wylie's excellent picture was shared on this forum. Checking with RTT we'd have to have been early for the Station Shot as they left for Upperby GL 3 minutes early at 1241. We weren't due in until 1243. Heard the Scot as Mick accelerated away from Petterill Bridge Jn onto the 7 1/2 miles of 132r to Low House. On a good day with 11 up we'd expect speed in the 40s by Howe and Co. Mp306 3/4 is where the 132r starts. We passed it at 25.4 and didn't get the sort of acceleration we expected. By mp306 speed was only 29.6 and then we passed the old Cumwhinton Station then mp304 at 30. We did hear some noise then as Mick pushed 46115 to close to 38 by mp303, Howe and Co. Better - but that was our maximum speed and we lost speed to pass mp302 at 35 and mp301 at 33.5. things got worse and by Eden Brows, the 'new' viaduct, we were down to 31.5 and we passed the 'summit' of the 132r at 31.4.

Speed picked up rapidly on the 132f and we passed Low House Crossing SB at 43.6. not good as we'd taken 18m 28s to cover the 9 miles, leaving us with only just over 25 minutes to cover the remaining 22 miles with a line speed of 60 most of the way. The 132f ended at mp299, 51.7 and then up the 132r to Armathwaite speed fell to 48. Short 220f saw a rise to 52 then on the level, 53.8. We blasted into Armathwaite Tunnel at 52.2 and after that lost a few mph to the 220r to Baron's Wood Tunnels, 295 3/4, 49 into no. 1 and 47 out of No. 2. Good section for us now, 2 1/2 miles of 165f, left at 59. Lost a bit to the short 264r to Lazonby and Kirkoswald, 54.3. undulating for a while to mp291, still 59; then a few miles of 264r/132r through Little Salkeld, 55, plenty of noise. Another mile and a half of 132r/110r to Langwathby, 52 and 3 miles of 264r/330r gradients to Waste Bank Tunnel, 56, then on the level through Culgaith, 59.

Not an easy road this unless the locomotive is at its best. Over the mile and a half of 132r/220r speed fell to 50.6 past New Biggin station building and with the Scot making itself heard, working hard, a couple of miles of 220r/490r/660r took us to mp280 3/4, 55.7. after half mile on the level we passed Long Marton, mp280, short bit of 300f at 58. Then it was another mile and a half of 120r. We passed mp279 at 50.5 and wondered if we were going to stop for water at Appleby. At mp28 1/2 46115 was eased and we rolled up the remaining mile+ of 200r/400r into Appleby Station. Elapsed time from Carlisle was 45m 35s. Not a bad run at all.

Annoyingly Mike, one of the regulars we've known for donkeys years wandered past a tub of ice cream. Mrs S hadn't bothered going to look for any this time. Too late by then so I went without. Stanier hooter blasting everyone got back on the train and we were ready to depart. The timing from Appleby to Hellifield is a very tight 58 minutes, a time rarely achieved.

No attempt at the Blue Riband as the train was a carriage short but the time could be interesting if 46115 is anywhere near its best. Hard work for Martyn firing as from mp275 over 95% of the 15 miles to Ais Gill Summit is at 100r. The aim is to use the 2 miles of 440r/level.176f to Ormside to get close to 60 mph or more. We didn't get close and only passed mp275 on the 100r at 50.6 after 5m 16.2s of running. A mile in and we passed mp274 at 44.3. Decent noise from up front but speed fell slowly to 42.6 as we dived into Helm Tunnel; leaving it at 40.4.

Mp273 was passed at 39 and things were looking a bit grim as we only passed mp272 at 34. We hit the respite then, a mile and a quarter of 166r, left at 38; then a mile and a half of 200r to Crosby Garret Viaduct, 44. A half mile of level track saw a further pick up to 45 and the momentum saw us up to 49 at mp268 1/2, Smardale. Much better running but the 100r bit back and we were back down to 40 at mp267 as we entered Waitby Rock Cutting. Round the curve then through Kirkby Stephen on easing 264r at 38, held back on the 100r past the signal box, 266 1/2. We were holding 39 to mp266 but again the continuous 100r bit back and we were down to 33.7 at mp265. Birkett Tunnel was entered at 31.5 and left at 30.9; a minimum of 30.4 at mp264. Here there is the final respite, 3/4m of 330r around Mallerstang. Nice bit of noise as we got close to 40 at mp263, 3 miles of 100r to the summit.

Sometimes we get a rousing run around the long curve to Ais Gill viaduct and onwards to the summit. Did we? Not this day. Speed fell slowly to 35.6 at mp262 and to 32.2 at mp261. We crossed Ais Gill Viaduct at just under 30 and struggled a bit to pass mp260, the climbing summit, at 26.7. once the 100r was left, on the level we passed the Summit Board - hardly any lettering now visible - at 31.9. Blue Riband Section, mp275-mp260 took us 23m 47s; to the Summit Board, 24m 19s. Appleby to Ais Gill Summit Board had taken 29m 35s. Just one of those days when 46115 wasn't at its best. That's the thing about steam locomotives, two runs are rarely the same.

Mostly down grade all the way to Settle. Decent pick up to 61 into Moorcock Tunnel and 56 through Garsdale. Bit of 330r to Rise Hill Tunnel, 52.5in; 47 out. Through Dent at the permanent 30 mph; across Arten Gill Viaduct at 50; Dent Head Viaduct, 264r, 53 and up the 264r into Blea Moor Tunnel, 49. The usual trundle onto Batty Moss Viaduct, 27 and through Ribblehead station, mp274 1/2, 176f, 37. Mostly 100f down to Selside, 66 and mp243 64. We dropped down through Horton-in-Ribblesdale, mp242 1/2, 65 and running in the early 60s over Sheriff's Brow and through Taitland's Tunnel . we passed Settle Station at 58 and got back into the low 60s to Settle Jn Signal Box. Only recorded the speed through Long Preston, mp232 1/2, 290r, 40 before we slowed for the entry into Hellifield Goods. We stopped at 1624, some 10 down. Time from Appleby was 65m 46s.

We had to wait for the late running Carlisle-Leeds and didn't leave the loop until 1649, 17 down. This is not good as we have to get to Horrocksford Jn before the signaller releases the Rochdale Flyer back into Clitheroe station. Technically we had 12 minutes to cover the 22 miles on a 45mph freight only line!! In reality we could have 27 minutes as the Flyer isn't due to leave the junction until 1715. It's an undulating run and the light was failing. I switched sides of the carriage again as the mileposts were on the right.

Long blast on the hooter and we left the loop, running through the station and past the signal box, 114r, 13.4. The first few miles are on rising grades, average 140r to mp33, 40. Then its undulating between level/175r/105f to Gisburn, mp28 1/4, 47. Then down a mile and a half of 101f, generous 45!!; bit of a climb, 543r to Chatburn, 35, and with a sympathetic signaller, through Horrocksford Jn, 170f, mp21 3/4, at 40. The Flyer was waiting to cross back over and into Clitheroe Station. Through the station, 104f, at 46 and across Low Moor LX, 260f at 50.

Down grade and level to mp 19, 42, then braking for Whalley and the 20 mph restriction across the Arches. This is a nasty restriction for those who don't know as the gradient rises to 81 1/2r from the start of the Arches, passed at 19. We left the Arches still at 19 and despite the failing light it was just possible to pick out the quarter mileposts. The 81 1/2r goes on for 3 1/2 miles to Wilpshire Tunnel. It's almost as steep as Shap, but not as open. We passed mp17 1/4 at 19 and with a lovely gentle three cylinder beat we got to 20 at mp17. Dropped to 19 as we passed mp16 1/2 but then a short slip pulled us back to 17. Mick held it really well and we were back to 18 at mp16; 19.5 at Langho, just above mp15 3/4 and a max of 21.6 at mp14 3/4. In sight of the murky cutting on the approach to Wilpshire Tunnel with speed holding around 21. The sound reverberated off the cutting walls as we entered Wilpshire Tunnel without a slip. Excellent stuff up front. Out of the tunnel on the slightly easier 88r at 20 and a drop in speed to 17.3 as we passed mp13 3/4 and to 16 at mp13 1/2. Seemed as if Mick just left the cut off as was and we ran through Wilpshire and Ramsgreave with mp13 1/4 on the platform at just over 12. Still a solid beat from the front and 11.3 at mp13. Then we assume we had a signal against us as we came to a stand. There is a Daisyfield 'distant' there somewhere.

That was the final challenge of the day and unassisted steam had prevailed. Yes we were some 13 minutes down but experience had shown Preston could cope well with the shunting and we had no doubt we'd be ready to leave booked time.

Too dark to milepost now so I down to the odd landmark, stations and level crossings. First there was the run down to Blackburn, passed at 33, then on falling grades we ran through Mill Hill, 105f, at 44; Cherry Tree, level, 45; Pleasington, level, 50. Next landmark was Hoghton Viaduct, 210f, 54; Hoghton LC, on the steep downward 101f, 55; Mintholme LC, 101f, 51; Hospital LC, 99f, 53; Bamber Bridge, 99f, 40 with gentle braking. Last station was Lostock Hall, 224f, 29. Uneventful run down to the WCML and we weren't delayed and ran into Platform 6 at 1800, 6 down.

The locomotive and POB were detached quickly and the brake conversion was completed without any issues. 86259 backed on and we were ready to leave well before booked time. We left a little late and seemed to be affected by a train in front as far as Wigan. Back to normal fats running then and arrival at Crewe only 2 down.

Our journey home was quieter than on 28th January but an accident blocking the road from Monmouth led to a 15 mile detour so we didn't get it until 2200. A big downside was I had to clean the car yesterday.

An excellent day out with a proper steam hauled train as we've come to expect of the Winter Cumbrian Mountain Expresses. 46115 was a bit lacklustre on the day but that's how it goes. No issues it appeared apart from a few slips, excellently handled. The coal seemed to be OK from the cleanish exhaust most of the day.

To RTC for keeping the faith and running the train. Kelly, RTC's M.D. was on board. It was good to see her and have a chat about life, the universe and main line steam!! The cynics will no doubt say that's why there was no diesel. As with all RTC's trains diesels are never requested and when they are in the consists it's the decision of WCR as the TOC;

To Train Manager Les and the stewards for doing a good job all day controlling the rowdy steam fans.

To WCR for running an unassisted train with the immaculate 46115 getting us over all the banks and to Preston close to booked time;

To our footplate crew, Mick showed again what an excellent engineman he is; as did Martyn 'on the shovel; our guard; and last but not least the support crew who did a good job servicing the big loco all day.

To Network Rail for letting us play on the big railway and facilitating two steam charters, albeit one with a degree of diesel assistance, over the WCML to Carlisle on the same morning. Control at Preston did a good job with the shunting, loco and POB release and getting us away close to time.

We're out again on Saturday, down south on the Cotswold Venturer. Again we'll be travelling in hope of an unassisted steam hauled train with Galatea over Sapperton both ways.