If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CME - 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 11, 2019.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Since when has carnforth been in Cumbria? We don't want it!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

steamvideosnet, Johnb and 60017 like this.
  2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I bet the water comes from Cumbria though. Seriously, until the injectors and feed pipes have been examined there is no way of knowing what the problem was and as Carnforth are not likely to tell us anything ( would it actually enhance our lives to know anyway?) there is no point in further speculation.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Victor, Will RL, RalphW and 4 others like this.
  3. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad

Both are heritage of course and I have an affection for both classes. The run with 86.259 from Nuneaton to Crewe, 61.01 miles in 44/19 was top draw and as good as anything I timed in the 1970s. Start to stop average of 82.6 mph, load 373 tare so about 395 gross. Loads 40 years ago tended to be heavier but this run was quite brilliant and not just a bit of fun as lost time was being recovered. It included 65 at Colwich and a check approaching Crewe. Sorry all you steam only fans.

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Maybe would have been nice to tale the 86 up to Carlisle? Something a bit different over Shap?

26D_M likes this.
  5. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Judging by the time it took to uncouple the 86 at Carnforth I think this was being considered

6. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I realise that 45690 is already booked for 2nd March but wouldn’t be nice if 35018 could be used on 18th May for all us Bulleid fans to book on the CME again.

sycamore and 26D_M like this.
  7. Penmere

Penmere Guest

Nothing wrong with a Duff,
    You pay your money ,You take your chance, don't see why people want to dictate locos for future tours,
    35018 failed it happens move on.

sycamore likes this.
  8. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    You pay your money and you should get what is promised. It should not be about chance. Nothing wrong with a 47 when it’s booked but some of us would like 35018

9. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

True, we all know you take a chance with steam tours, but there comes a point when you wonder if you're being taken for a ride --- or not! I was on this WCME and grudgingly accept that WCRC didn't have much choice but to substitute a diesel. But, coming after two failed trips with Tornado (fortunately followed by a superb trip, steam only, with 60009), keeping hold of my money and watching from the lineside is looking like a better strategy.

Bean-counter likes this.
  10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    How many times must this subject be raised and flogged to death, unfortunately planned motive power fails at the last minute, there is little that can be done about it. Next will come the suggestion that a second loco should also be in steam as a backup, etc etc.....
    How the owners and support crews must love this thread.

11. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    What about the Jubilee fans - I'm one. Was disappointed that BIL failed but it happens very occasionally. Leave 2nd March alone. Much more of a challenge a Jubilee with 11 over Shap and the S&C.

12. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    OK, but #18 had a problem, obviously it occurred very near the time the loco was required for a job so the pax didn't get was was promised. What would you do ?
    I think it's safe to say everybody connected (passengers, train staff, engineers, Uncle Tom Cobley and all)were disappointed, but that's life

13. Will RL

Will RL Member

From what I overheard by those from 10A on the lineside at Carnforth and putting two and two together with what was said over the announcer, 35018 passed its FTR with flying colours, it’s been nothing other than a free runner recently and they had every hope it’d make it onto the national network. The issue with the injectors occurred while moving off shed and the train manager only informed 5 minutes before arriving at Carnforth.

In past events we’ve seen alternative loco’s steamed at short notice following an announced failure, even if it means chasing the tour to the destination to haul the return. Due to the last minute failure a replacement steam loco couldnt be steamed, the only other available option was a diesel.

I was annoyed at this as were many others (to the extent an additional stop at Oxenholme was requested so they could go home). But it’s known that events like this can occur and we take what we can get. What’s happened has happened, speculation won’t help. The only thing we can do is book again and hope for the best.

Haighie likes this.
  14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

This is not the type of circumstance to get into a lather about.

The intent, almost to the last minute, was to deliver the product as described. The tour was well underway by the time the fault was found with BIL. The only option was to substitute with a diesel. It is reasonably within the T&Cs that this was beyond the operators or providers control and a risk that many of us take when we but tickets. Not nice but not an act of deception.

There are many other issues that we can get wound up about...

15. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

And just how would it cost to have a second loco in steam so as to double the chances of delivering the promised product? Mainline steam tickets aren't cheap and I have actually been amazed at how little compliant there has been on here of people paying a lot for a diesel hauled tour. Yes, failures happen, we know that and actually there has been a good run lately of tours running as planned but it seems accepted on here that much of the railtour market are not 'enthusiasts', yet I am sure the product they want is 'steam' and if there are around 500 passengers on the train, then what would be the extra cost per ticket to have a standby locomotive? May I also suggest 'non-enthusiasts' may be considerably less understanding that 'these things happen'.

(As BIL is a Carnforth locomotive, at least some of the support crew would surely be the same for a second Carnforth loco?)

Or is it a matter of 'if enough are daft enough to pay these prices and not get what they expected, why should we bother taking any measures to increase the chance that they do get what they expected?' - if so, shortsighted, I would suggest.

Steven

16. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    So, are you saying Steven that every steam tour that is organised and advertised has to have two steam locomotives available, every time, every week.......................just in case.
    Sorry, but IMO it's not practicable, it's a non starter. Who is going to get the second (just in case) loco. to the tour starting point, who is going to get it back home, an extra support coach, full extra crew (s), cost of extra paths there and back ??? If anybody thinks that tickets for these day tours are expensive now...........brace yourselves
    And what if there is no extra locomotive available?
    BIL suffered a last minute failure, luckily the tour was on WCRC doorstep AND, top marks to them, they salvaged the day and fired a 47 up
    If I'd have been booked on it I would have been a bit brassed off but life has taught me that s*it happens, make the best of the day.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  17. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

I think each of us needs to judge when best efforts are being made by the provider and when they are not bothered about customer satisfaction. We will each think differently and use our money accordingly. On this occasion I am giving WCRC the benefit of the doubt because of the lateness of the failure and the efforts they have made in the past to run trains steam only in adverse conditions.

26D_M likes this.
  18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

In my opinion, that is an uncharacteristically inflammatory pair of comments. There was alternative motive power available - a Class 47 diesel. Lucky it all took place within a hundred yards of a depot with available replacements. The T&Cs don't guarantee steam in any set of circumstances, just the aim to provide what is promised.

I would also have been annoyed had I been on it. It's an understandable initial reaction and in this case it would have been coupled with a whole load of other questions about how it could have happened, (that I definitely won't rehearse on here). But then common sense would kick in plus the reality of what was possible of which the stop at Oxenholme was helpful, imo.

You just have to swallow the pill and move on. Not all that long ago I escaped by a whisker being stranded at an airport in the Eastern Med by a failure (of an airline). Against that level of travel disaster, Saturday seems relatively minor.

MellishR likes this.
  19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Basically it would cost too much. The initial extra cost would be the second FTR and the 1-1.5 tons of coal along with other consumables to ge the loco up to working pressure. The support crew may be the same but who is going to dispose of the failed loco while they are out on the line? A last minute loco failure is not that common and would not be cost effective to steam a second loco just in case. Far more common is not having sufficient motive power to cover failures when they are known in advance, despite their stock of engines Saphos couldn’t come up with a substitute for the Belmond Pullman on February 16th.

20. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I think this trip was heavily marked down with a discount code, so scant consolation that it wasn't full price.