If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CME - 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 11, 2019.

1. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes Scott you're right WCRC diesels look pretty dull

2. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Drove two and a half hours, got there, heard the news, saw this, then departed.

Better luck next week I hope.
    88010-Aurora-(4)-1000web.jpg

3. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Not often when steam fails that you would rather have a 37 on the front other than a quiet 47 :rolleyes:

Tyne Turbine likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A strange failure today. I know that injectors can fail but I presume it was just one of them and to have stopped working after passing a FTR exam is unusual.

26D_M likes this.
  5. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Another from Dillicar today, nice to meet you chaps today. Massive shame everything didn't come together......

[​IMG]

6. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express 23 February 2019 – 47.826 hauling 10

This trip was booked some time ago in the hope that it might be BIL; BIL was confirmed in the letter accompanying the tickets. The morning dawned dry and sunny with a forecast of similar for the day.

I gave Oswald Jnr a lift to Preston station (going to Glasgow). A few minutes after we arrived, Les Ross stopped with the WCME in platform 3 and I boarded coach F, four from the front. We were off and duly arrived in Carnforth loop where it was very sunny. With the agreement of the other passengers at the table, I attempted to open the toplight – jammed, and BIL has such a quiet exhaust. It mattered not, a few minutes later Les (Train Manager) announced that BIL had been failed as both injectors were not working. All had been well at the FTR exam but this morning both injectors failed and despite the fitting staffs’ best efforts BIL could not be turned out onto the main line. Ah, well! I saw Mr Shireman who was also philosophical; these things happen.

10A whistled up a diesel, 47.826 with Steve Chipperfield driving (Steve was the booked driver for 35018). 7L we were off, a short unscheduled stop at Oxenholme but the 47 made short shrift of the schedule and we arrived in Carlisle 4E.

On the return, Les announced that the driver had been asked to run at scheduled speed to allow passengers to view the scenery (the 47 would be capable of running considerably faster). 2E into Appleby and time for a blackcurrant ice cream, we were away again RT. We continued to run to schedule passing Settle Jn SB 4E. We didn’t need to water at Hellifield, so after a short stop in the platform we left 17E. Would we be held at Horrocksford Jn? No! Through Clitheroe 25E, Whalley 29E, Langho 30½E, Ramsgreave & Wilpshire 34E. Whalley to Ramsgreave & W took 6m 28s compared to 5m 44s for the B1+MN (with 1 more coach) 3 weeks earlier .

We were held at Daisyfield Jn, then through Blackburn 30E and eventually stopped in Preston 39E. I arrived home at 18.06 the exact time we had been booked to arrive at Preston.

My thanks to all who planned and operated this trip; it wasn’t how any of us would have wanted it to be – but these things happen. WCRC provided substitute motive power at very short notice. NR allowed us to run ahead of time and arrive back early (at least into Preston). The weather was perfect, the scenery was stunning (as always), lunch at the Woodrow was lunch at the Woodrow . . . The three ladies from Blackpool with whom I shared a table were good company. So, I’ve just marked it down to experience and moved on; no witch hunt required, no-one’s fault. I have no doubt that any underlying problem will be identified and remedied.

Les said that RTC would be contacting all the passengers on Sunday via e mail/letter with an explanation.

Things improved considerably when I got home – the tickets had arrived for next Sunday’s Auld Reekie. Tornado is back, probably, possibly, allegedly . . . we must wait and see (fingers crossed).

keith6233, jsm8b, Victor and 15 others like this.
  7. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Yes that’s how we viewed it. My first 47 over Shap since 1967. A good day out in superb weather, beautiful scenery and good company in the ‘gricer’s’ coach at the front. Just a big shame about BIL. The charter was held at Preston until booked time of 1840 so I was glad we had booked advance tickets on the 1902 Pendo to Euston (1st class was cheapest as it happens) and though it left late it was right time Euston and we got home two hours earlier than if we had stayed on the charter. Still a 21 hour day though.

Oswald T Wistle and 26D_M like this.
  8. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Both injectors Al. Dirty water?

9. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Both, as you know I was impressed with the 86 and I must be one of the few people who like seeing (and hearing) 47/57,s 'doing their stuff'

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Let's not start making assumptions like that.

26D_M likes this.
  11. Victor

Retired
    Nah, crystal clear spring water in t'north. Only the best for our locos.:)

12. Big Al

It's just a pity that we may never know as these things do happen and it helps the greater understanding of everyone for issues to be in the open and clarified. For example the explanation of the one time problem in the past with Clan Line's injectors gave a good insight into how they work and what can go amiss.

26D_M likes this.
  13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Interestingly they may have cleared the injector(s) a little too late to risk running BIL. Looking toward the coaling tower as we left the loop there was steam lifting from a safety valve.

26D_M likes this.
  14. Victor

Retired
    Good luck trying to get information out of 10A. And WHY do we need to know? nothing can be achieved by informing a few enthusiasts on an internet forum the exact nature of the failure. I'm an enthusiast, it's been reported......injector failure. I'm happy to let the loco engineers rectify the problem

Haighie, Spamcan81, Johnb and 4 others like this.
  15. Victor

Retired
    I got the impression that BIL was a good steamer, the valves got plenty of work when it ran behind Mayflower, it was blowing in Carnforth loop before we started, I think it blew around Shap and it frightened one or two young children in Citadel station when it kicked off.

16. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    A word of caution if being openly critical of the staff at 10A, but does anyone remember the internet troll who had a pop at them a few years ago. He disappeared in mysterious circumstances, you remember, it was about the same time that WCRC were restoring a tender for one of the Bulleids. Police looked into it but were baffled. I fear that I may have said to much . . . where's the delete button? . . . who's that at the front door wearing a high vis vest? . . . . . .

17. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Sorry but I was simply asking the question. Or is that not allowed now?

26D_M likes this.
  18. Big Al

Just so. There's no point in anyone getting precious over a perfectly sensible question.

26D_M likes this.
  19. agalpin

agalpin Member

And given the history of class members who have suffered similarly, it was a good question.

26D_M likes this.
  20. Big Al

I know you joke but seriously, crystal clear water, especially if it is soft, can be a big issue with steaming in locos...foaming etc. But we are digressing into meaningful discussion as I don't think that kind of water is a problem in the Cumbria area!!