If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clare Station

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ady, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I just throught mention that this simi-preserved former Great Eastern Railway station might be under threat. Reading my copy of the Great Eastern Journal, the station is part of the Clare Castle Country Park, and Suffolk County Council don't want look after the park anymore. They want the park looked after by the Town Council but no one knows what to do with the former station which has acted as the parks visitor centre. Although in a conservation area, the building as of get are not listed. Just thought I mention it as it hasn't come up before.

2. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Ah Clare station i have been to Clare Coutry Park and had a look at the station still with its platform, what a lovely train ride that must have been when the line was open, and as for Clare village what a place to live, fell in love with it the first time i saw it.

3. louis.pole

louis.pole New Member

To use a wartime phrase "Somewhere in England"
  4. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Very interesting and would love to see it happen, but a lot of the Haverhill to Long Melford section has been built on, a huge college at Glemsford and a dozen or so bungalows at clare but other than most of track and bridges still in situ.

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Spent a couple of years there on and off working on a contract at Haverhill. Lovely village and park.

6. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    I can't believe there been no mention in the magazines about it, a preserved station in possible trouble...

7. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

The line ran along the bottom of my aunt's garden in the edge of Clare. Last time I was there any trace of the line had disappeared, being absorbed by the landowner on the opposite side of the line. 1983??....can't remember the exact year.