If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line in 2020

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by derby2, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks, I've reserved the day in my diary. Badly needing something to look forward to.

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    A shame, but understandable under the circumstances.

3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Where did you find that information? Both yesterday's regular emailshot from Pathfinder and their website today show all three of theirs as still running and bookable. If they are cancelled, even working from home someone at Pathfinder ought to have been able to update the information.

4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Paul is MNLPS marketing man so I think he knows what he’s talking about

5. MellishR

Fair enough, but that confirms that Pathfinder should be saying the same.

Spitfire likes this.
  6. NathanP

NathanP Member

I'm booked on two of the July trips and haven't heard anything from Pathfinder yet. It is still possible to book seats on them via their website.

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    They're still on the website but if you click through then you can't actually book tickets.

8. NathanP

NathanP Member

Seems I spoke too soon. Letter from Pathfinder received in today's post.

9. MellishR

I have still not heard from Pathfinder by post or email, but the July trips have now disappeared from their website.

10. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

This UK Railtours excursion with Clan Line from Kings Cross to Norwich and back should have run in April this year. For obvious reasons it was postponed, being rescheduled for Saturday 24 April 2021.

The following letter has just arrived from UK Railtours:

Good afternoon,

I'm sure you will be pleased to know that plans are still in place for our mainline steam tour with 35028 Clan Line next April, government guideline permitting of course!

You may have heard that there are some major upgrade works going on at King's Cross and on the East Coast mainline. Though undoubtedly vital, this work has made it impossible for us to run our train from Kings Cross as planned on Saturday 24 April 2021, despite this date being clear for us initially. Further information regarding the renovation projects can be found at www.eastcoastupgrade.co.uk.

Rather than cause disappointment and postpone the tour for a second time, we have taken the decision to run the train from London Victoria, picking up at Highbury and Islington and Broxbourne.

Those who were hoping to join the train at its King's Cross starting point but are now put off by the earlier departure from Victoria should consider Highbury and Islington as a good alternative, both in terms of accessibility (via overground and Victoria Line) and departure time.

Broxbourne should provide a good alternative to Potters Bar and Stevenage for those who were intending to reach their chosen joining point by car. The station has ample car parking.

Provisional timings are shown below:

Station Depart Arrive
    London Victoria 07.25 22.15
    Highbury and Islington 08.20 21.10
    Broxbourne 09.05 20.30
    I presume the train will head north from Broxbourne to Cambridge and pick up the intended route there.

But can someone, more familiar with London's railways than I am, tell me the likely route from Victoria to Broxbourne?

Many thanks

Peter in a little spot of Manchester sunshine just before dusk
    https://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  11. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Maybe Victoria--Olympia-- Mitre Bridge Jn-- Willesden HL-- Highbury and Islington-- Gospel Oak-- South Tottenham-- turn left to Tottenham Hale.

I should think there will be some rare track in that.

12. AMP

AMP Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Another option would be Gospel Oak - Stratford (or avoider) - Broxbourne

Andrew

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

More likely, and via the avoider. And as an aside, whilst the KGX problem is unavoidable, for the loco and support crew it may well have advantages in that the journey starts from a station nearest to base.

It would have taken forever to get from Stewarts Lane to KGX under the original plan. Going to somewhere like Willesden to unite with the stock and then pulled across the top of London and down into KGX. An earlier start for some passengers but an easy return to depot when back at VIC.

14. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I think further on the NLL towards Stratford and then up via Tottenham Hale - there’s no left turn off the Goblin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Quite like the NLL. It's slow, but it never fails to impress the number of routes that can be accessed from it. Also, unusual territory for a Bulleid in more recent years. Tempting, virus-permitting.

16. MellishR

That's exactly where I am. I booked in January for the original date, mainly for the rarity of a Bulleid out of Kings Cross. When they asked who was OK for the new date next April I told them it would depend. At present I'm not booking anything else and my travelling in April is looking possible but unlikely.

Turn left from South Tottenham to Tottenham Hale would be tricky unless Tottenham North Curve has been reinstated.

As far as I can see that is the only way from the NLL to the GE Cambridge line. For the 11-11-2010 trip to Norwich with Tornado, which I was on, Six Bells Junction records that "The booked route both ways was direct between Lea Jn & Temple Mills East Jn but the train went via Stratford on both the outward and return." That one started from Waterloo and included the special bonus of the very rare Sheepcote Lane curve.

17. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Im booked on this also so im either going to have to book a hotel in london on the 23rd april 2021 or rough it in london to go on this tour to norwich but im still hellbent on having a ride behind 35028 unless the U.K. hasent recovered from covid by then and another lockdown could happen which we hope it dosent

18. MellishR

There's not only what is or isn't allowed by law, which changes from week to week so is totally unpredictable months ahead, but also whether we individually feel safe enough to do X or Y.

19. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

At this moment in time its anyones guess what could happen with the unpredictable covid 19 pandemic and after whats happened in France and Belgium yesterday going into a temporary lockdown it dosent look good, but yes i still feel confident to go out and about as long as goverment regulations on covid hold us back despite the new normal in these uncertain times.
    Davo 56F

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    acorb likes this.
  20. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    35028 is still shown on the Railway Herald tours page as heading a Belmond lunch working on 12 December. While I assume this would be a Surrey Hills trip (I hope), is it likely to be so?