If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line - British Pullman - 3/8/13

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Left Victoria at 12:28, through CJ at 12:45, both on schedule - you can usually set your clock by the VSOE on a Saturday.

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Ah thanks MrKnowwun, must have just missed her then. I was on my way to the Emirates Cup and did wonder if there was a VSOE running when I saw a few photographers.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The sound track on this clip charts the progress of Clan Line up Gomshall bank with 500+ tons at approaching 40 mph. Although it's been a long time since she went near the Settle and Carlisle, this perhaps illustrates why she should stay away as there may be a few hill climbing records in the north west that might be at risk were she to be let loose up there again. Any bribery donations from supporters of other big engines will be gratefully received by the MNLPS, I suspect.

ADB968008 and KentYeti like this.
  4. London Bridge

London Bridge New Member

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you for posting this. I sat through all 12 minutes 23 seconds of it, and enjoyed every minute. I was most imporessed how quickly speed picked up on ths dip east of Gomshall station, creating a real impetus for the final 1 in 96 up to the overbridge. A superb performance by both loco and driver.

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Out of this world!

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

That was a very cool video.

8. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Thanks Big Al - that was quite something !! - would imagine there was some hard work the other side of the footplate as well - super effort DH

9. Big Al

Not my video I hasten to add but it's not often you get to hear what Clan Line does routinely with the pullmans and also to appreciate how well set up she is, so thought it was worth posting.

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

When you listen to that, and hear the rate of acceleration etc, it's almost impossible to believe it's got a load of circa 500 tons and is mainly climbing at 1/100 or 1/96. From a dead start, (short level and easier grades at the very start).

As brother Don's book will show, there is only one recorded instance of a UK steam loco bettering the highest ever known hp/ton by a Merchant Navy, ( I believe that is sustained hp/ton). And that was by a 4 cylinder Duchess on Shap.

The point being that a MN has the boiler capacity and steaming rate to sustain a very high power output for a significant period. Which probably means that if all was totally well it could have kept that climb going for a very long period of time.

I'm not sure how hard the fireman would have been working up Gomshall. He certainly must have managed the fire very well indeed prior to the re-start. But my own footplate experience, albeit most, but not all, at very high speed on Bulleids has seen high effort without a great deal of firing work at the time. One exception being with a bad coal/blocked tube run. Be interesting to know how the young man on that side of the cab, ( I understand it was Don Clarke's son?), was working before and on the climb.

11. Big Al

I guess all you can do is admire the fact that in the YouTube video by 1Z64 Clan Line is sitting quietly at Shalford - i.e. no lifting valves wasting steam - and near the top of the bank she is still looking comfortable with apparently no firing taking place. So clearly Don has taught his son well and it also suggests what we know, namely that a Bulleid boiler is second to none for steaming when in good condition and with the right fire.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Makes you ask why we are waiting so long for these MN's to be overhauled when there's an ever lasting shortage of class 8's for the mainline.

35009, 10, 18, 22, 27 and 28 could make a formidable mainline steam pool for southern based trips..and quite standardised too.

13. Big Al

Absolutely right although in the case of 35018, my guess is that when that work is completed as possibly the next for the ML, she may be destined for work on the Cumbrian Hills to add variety to the West Coast mix. And why not?

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Quite. Excluding 35018, which probably won't be air-braked, they would make a good pool for working the VSOE, as well as SD and RTC trips. I have managed a run in this wonderful train behind 35028, and for me, paying all that dosh to be pulled by a 67 would not be money well spent. Apart from a couple of trips to Bath, the Surrey Hills luncheons are the only British Pullman runs to be steam operated. This is a retrogression from 10-12 years ago, when some trains ran to Canterbury and Southampton behind 35028. I think there was even a run down the Brighton Line. (I've vague recollections of being somewhere near Horley when it passed through, but the sun wasn't out so I didn't bother to take a picture) It's my silver wedding in 10 years' time, and VSOE to Venice would be a good way to celebrate. I'd love it if by then the London-Folkestone leg was steam hauled.

15. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    I would dearly love to see some more MN's on the main line - I wish I could afford a trip on the Pullman with Clan Line...